19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 00:48:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best places to live, 2017  (Read 6025 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 04, 2017, 17:41:17 »

2017, Britain's best rural places to live in 2017 have been revealed in the latest annual quality of life survey.

http://www.rsnonline.org.uk/community/revealed-best-rural-places-to-live-in-2017

Top four:

1   Orkney Islands   Scotland
2   Wychavon   West Midlands
3   Derbyshire Dales   East Midlands
4   Hambleton   Yorkshire & the Humber

And those in or near our "patch"

5   Purbeck   South West
7   Chiltern   South East
8   West Oxfordshire   South East
9   South Hams   South West
12   West Dorset   South West
18   Mid Devon   South West
26   Vale of White Horse   South West
29   Wiltshire   South West
37   East Devon   South West
42   New Forest   South East
43   Cotswold   South West
47   Isles of Scilly   South West
48   Sedgemoor   South West

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 18:46:13 »

Is there a "best 'best place to live survey' survey"? Because there are just loads of the things out there.

You can pick one according to whether its result suit you - like this one by Rightmove last year:

Isle of Skye named the nation’s most desired place to live
...Six of the top ten places are in Devon and Cornwall, with all ten in the North West, South West, Wales and Scotland

Full list:
PlaceRegionAverage asking price
Isle of SkyeScotland£230952
Woolacombe   South West   £346396
CallingtonSouth West£235860
St IvesSouth West£366628
KeswickNorth West£319628
PembrokeWales£169969
PadstowSouth West£421290
SalcombeSouth West£635083
AmblesideNorth West£431669
NewquaySouth West£246976

.. which does at least have local relevance.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 20:27:24 »

I get the others but Callington? Seriously?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 22:51:42 »

I'm a little surprised that the only area of Somerset that features in the top 50 is Sedgemoor. That contains Bridgwater (aka Bilgewater, aka Somerset's Beirut) for heaven's sake. And Burnham-on-Sea, a 'seaside' town where Bridgwater rejects end up. After they've been rejected by Highbridge. The best things to come out of Sedgemoor? The M5 and the A38.

Yes, there are some nice villages in Sedgemoor, but the other districts of Somerset are far more agreeable. If I was to rank the five districts; Mendip, Sedgemoor, South Somerset, Taunton Deane, West Somerset, then Sedgemoor would be resolutely last.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:10:29 »

I'm a little surprised that the only area of Somerset that features in the top 50 is Sedgemoor. That contains Bridgwater (aka Bilgewater, aka Somerset's Beirut) for heaven's sake. And Burnham-on-Sea, a 'seaside' town where Bridgwater rejects end up. After they've been rejected by Highbridge. The best things to come out of Sedgemoor? The M5 and the A38.

Yes, there are some nice villages in Sedgemoor, but the other districts of Somerset are far more agreeable. If I was to rank the five districts; Mendip, Sedgemoor, South Somerset, Taunton Deane, West Somerset, then Sedgemoor would be resolutely last.

Sedgemoor Motorway services are pretty good to be fair, maybe that swung it?  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:19:21 »

Sedgemoor Motorway services are pretty good to be fair, maybe that swung it?  Cheesy

May be so - drink and food is important. According to http://www.whatmortgage.co.uk/news/best-rural-areas-live-uk/

Last year’s winner, South Oxfordshire, has dropped to 10th in the 2017 survey, but still scores strongly on earnings, employment rate and a low crime rate.

This is mainly due to the inclusion of the two new categories – number of pubs and the availability of health clubs and leisure centres.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 09:04:45 »

The set of criteria and their weighting is so subjective that this exercise is pretty meaningless.

Some might consider fewer pubs for example as an asset rather than a fault. Also in many rural areas pubs have drifted more towards being restaurants, and even then they can struggle to be viable against being sold off as housing in more affluent areas.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 09:08:45 »

Is this the list where estate agents bid to make their patch top?  Wink

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 09:52:49 »

Have they improved in recent years? They were absolutely disgusting when I was commuting up and down the M5, so now I avoid!

To the original post, there seems to be multiple surveys. Falmouth and Bristol have both come top of best place to live surveys in the last month. It all comes down to what you want.
If you want to be robbed and your car nicked, Bridgwater would be a good choice.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 11:15:51 »

For months now there has been a sign on the M5 between Jncs 21 and 20 warning of no fuel at Sedgemoor Services.  As I passed it yesterday I did wonder if the sign had been forgotten or that in fact there had been no fuel deliveries since before Christmas. Since I have paid off my mortgage, I have no intention of taking out another one to buy fuel at motorway service station prices.  To allude to another thread about expensive fares:  Who buys fuel on the motorway? (Whoops! - could cause massive deviation from thread title so apologies).

Brent Knoll looks lovely in the sun - that's one asset for Sedgemoor.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 13:09:37 »

It does look nice in the sun. Not sure how much of an asset for Sedgemoor it is though. Because if you go to the top,  your view is of Bridgwater, Burnham and Highbridge.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 15:26:08 »

.  To allude to another thread about expensive fares:  Who buys fuel on the motorway? (Whoops! - could cause massive deviation from thread title so apologies).

There is a Saisnburys immediately off the roundabout at J25, typically 15p a litre cheaper than Taunton Deane services!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 15:34:43 »

The same goes for J12 Theale/Reading of the M4.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: