Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:06:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: London Marathon Runners - 23 April 2017 - BEWARE Engineering Works!  (Read 6629 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:02:57 »

Email from Mark Hopwood -

Date: 18 April 2017 at 14:01:04 BST
To: xxxx
Subject: Improvement work will impact on London Marathon participants

Dear xxxxx

As part of the modernisation of the Great Western mainline and Crossrail development, Network Rail need to complete some additional work between Paddington and Reading this weekend. 

Work will take place overnight on Saturday 22 April, and all lines between Reading and Hayes and Harlington will be closed until 0900 on Sunday 23 April.   

We are asking customers from Reading to Hayes and Harlington to vary their journeys and travel after 0900 if they can.

However, Sunday 23 April is the date of the London Marathon and we are very aware that participants need to travel before 0900.   We have therefore arranged coach services to get them to the start line on time.

Details are on our website https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2017/april/attention-london-marathon-runners along with arrangements for other customers who need to travel before 0900.

We want to be sure that we have got the message out to all customers, many of whom may not think to double check the timetable; anything you can do to alert any marathon participants, in particular, will be very much appreciated.  We are using traditional and social media, and have also contacted the London Marathon organisers direct to ask if they can help.

Network Rail are doing important work which means we will be able to operate brand new eight car trains from Maidenhead in May, and from Reading in December.

We are doing all we can to limit the disruption and I am grateful for your support in spreading the message of this additional piece of work.

Best wishes

Mark
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:23:01 »

Hope they've got plenty of buses!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 14:48:45 »

With thanks to ChrisB for posting that e-mail appeal from Mark Hopwood, I've now slightly expanded the topic heading to 'raise the profile' of this event, and emphasize the urgency of competitors and their supporters varying and / or making alternative travel arrangements if necessary!

Hope this helps!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 15:36:06 »

It's been very well publicised to the West of London across all media and has provoked a lot of dissatisfaction amongst marathon runners who now face a lengthy bus trip rather than the train they had been led to expect.......more unfavourable PR (Public Relations) for the railways.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 16:00:57 »

It's been very well publicised to the West of London across all media and has provoked a lot of dissatisfaction amongst marathon runners who now face a lengthy bus trip rather than the train they had been led to expect.......more unfavourable PR (Public Relations) for the railways.

I suspect the dissatisfaction would have been even greater if there hadn't been the additional publicity and would be runners only found out when they reached the station on the day.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 16:08:24 »

There are also the following additional early Chiltern Railways trains:

* Banbury 06.40 - Bicester North 06.54 - Haddenham & Thame Parkway 07.06 - High Wycombe 07.20 - Beaconsfield 07.27 - Gerrards Cross 07.33 - Marylebone 07.56.

* Aylesbury 07.00 - Princes Risborough 07.16 - High Wycombe 07.27 - Beaconsfield 07.34 - Gerrards Cross 07.40 - Denham 07.44 - South Ruislip 07.50 - Marylebone 08.09.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 16:20:13 »

Clearly Network Rail has taken lessons from the United Airlines approach to customer service. And no, I don't underestimate the difficulty there might be in coming up with an alternative, but this is very poor.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 21:05:18 »

I suspect the dissatisfaction would have been even greater if there hadn't been the additional publicity and would be runners only found out when they reached the station on the day.

I must admit that hadn't occurred to me.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 17:15:04 »

Clearly Network Rail has taken lessons from the United Airlines approach to customer service. And no, I don't underestimate the difficulty there might be in coming up with an alternative, but this is very poor.

May be the London Marathon should select a weekend when there is no railway engineering work, Network Rail do have long term plans available for at least 2 years out ............

Just sayin  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 17:21:14 »

But if I'm not mistaken this has been arranged at very short notice, so your point doesn't apply. Two years ago NR» (Network Rail - home page) was still planning to have had it all completed by last December. In addition, I would expect the London Marathon to be one which Network Rail should plan around to avoid rather than the other way around.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 17:55:30 »

You're not....and I agree.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 19:03:03 »

I suggest NR» (Network Rail - home page) were between a rock and a hard place.  They had to fit it in somehow or there would be further delays. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 07:03:04 »

I suggest NR» (Network Rail - home page) were between a rock and a hard place.  They had to fit it in somehow or there would be further delays. 

A rock and a hard place of their own creation.

"Late notice" = poorly planned in this context.

Good luck to all those running in the Marathon today, pal of mine will be raising thousands for Alzheimers research....I hope that all those who have spent months preparing for today's event are not in any way scuppered by NR's failure to do likewise.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 03:46:58 »

True, one day of inconvenience or 7 days of inconvenience when they are unable to implement the new timetable in May with 387's to Maidenhead.
Entirely the making of NR.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: