Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:03:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Busiest single track lines  (Read 10136 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 07:52:38 »

A list of all the passenger line redoubling projects that I can think of over the last 20 years, including dynamic passing loops of up to around 3 miles (DPL). I'm sure I've missed a few, so please add as necessary. 

Probus - Burngullow
Axminster DPL
Duffryn West  - Cockett West (Gowerton)
Merthyr Vale DPL
Swindon - Kemble
North Cotswolds (part)
Oxford North  - Bicester
Aynho Jn  - Princes Risborough
Welshpool DPL
Alvechurch DPL
Coventry  - Gibbet Hill
Darwen DPL
Annan - Gretna Jn
Kirkconnel - Thornhill
Stewarton - Dunlop
Bathgate - Newbridge Jn

And currently under way or planned
Ebbw Valley branch (part)
Felixstowe branch (part)
Kettering  - Corby
Aberdeen - Inverurie
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 14:58:22 »

Depends how you define 'busiest'; the single line token section from Pembroke Dock to Tenby is occupied almost constantly during the day Monday-Saturday, but the service frequency is only every two hours and doesn't really have a case for improvement.

A list of all the passenger line redoubling projects that I can think of over the last 20 years, including dynamic passing loops of up to around 3 miles (DPL). I'm sure I've missed a few, so please add as necessary. 

[snip]
Welshpool DPL
This one was not alone, a new passing loop was also put in at Dovey Junction, which together with the Welshpool dynamic loop was necessary for even-hour departures from Aberystwyth.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 15:10:41 »

Moreton to Dorchester South on the Weymouth to Waterloo line. 4 Trains an hour.

Although not technically a single line the single line section in the throat at Weymouth would seeextra GWR (Great Western Railway) trains over and above the 4 an hour mentioned above.

There are a number of single line pinch points near stations like York on the Scarborough line and Malton station where trains have to use the same platform in each direction.

Then there's all the single lead junctions like Hanwell and now West Ealing.

RE (Religious Education) Windsor branch with a 20 minute service it is worked to capacity 6 minute run 4 minute turnround 6 minute run 4 minute turnround =20 minutes
What about the purple people eater, every 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 15:22:54 by eightf48544 » Logged
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 16:04:58 »

There is the little stretch of single line just outside Penzance station
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 17:26:45 »

Depends how you define 'busiest'; the single line token section from Pembroke Dock to Tenby is occupied almost constantly during the day Monday-Saturday, but the service frequency is only every two hours and doesn't really have a case for improvement.

[snip]
Welshpool DPL
This one was not alone, a new passing loop was also put in at Dovey Junction, which together with the Welshpool dynamic loop was necessary for even-hour departures from Aberystwyth.
Yes but that's only a loop, not a stretch of double track running line as you see with dynamic loops, so didn't make the list.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 17:47:10 »

[snip]
Welshpool DPL
Yes but that's only a loop, not a stretch of double track running line as you see with dynamic loops, so didn't make the list.
Ah, ok. Sorry, misunderstood your post (I thought you were including normal passing loops).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 18:32:09 »

Worcester(shire) Parkway doesn't (yet) exist, so hard to comment...but that section may be behind the Eastern end of the Cotswold Line
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 20:40:21 »

Yes, but the plan for Worcestershire is two platforms on the Bristol Birmingham, and one for the single track Worcester to London line.

That was one of the points that sparked my interest in this subject. How can I line that links the South Midlands via Oxford to London be a single track by Worcester? I accept that the bulk of the economy in that area will be Birmingham Bristol corridor, but the link to towards London is important.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 15:25:03 »

Basically because its a County Council (vanity) project & they wouldn't pay for it to be doubled
John R

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 17:44:36 »

How can I line that links the South Midlands via Oxford to London be a single track by Worcester? I accept that the bulk of the economy in that area will be Birmingham Bristol corridor, but the link to towards London is important.

Part of it is down to history (i.e. it was largely singled in the 1970s), but the real reason is demand. Worcester and Hereford are the only two significant centres of population, and even they don't add up to much more than 250,000.  So the business case for full redoubling and a better service is not yet compelling. The southern stretch of single track is probably more likely to be done once in the next few years, but that is probably as much to improve the service from Hanborough into Oxford as for wider gain further west.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 18:37:01 »

20 trams per hour (10 in each direction) at Navigation Road's single tram platform ...

And it's the park and ride destination for anyone heading from the West Country to Old Trafford.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 19:57:25 »

The question of single track capacity is a fascinating one .. and typically far higher utilisation is possible for a regular service than an irregular one.  Trying the art of the possible (and looking at hypothetical stuff) it gets very hard to thread an irregular single track:

than an even one:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 19:09:44 »

Busiest Single Track line has to be the Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town line with a train every 10 minutes each way.

Or put another way 12 TPH (trains per hour)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 19:53:03 »

Busiest Single Track line has to be the Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town line with a train every 10 minutes each way.

Or put another way 12 TPH (trains per hour)

The busiest in terms of TPH maybe, but at 1.3 KM long, the Class 139's don't rack up the passenger miles. (Sorry, mixed units there)

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 13:08:21 »

And currently under way or planned
Felixstowe branch (part)

Update from National Rail - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/116354.aspx#Christmas

Felixstowe branch line improvements

A £60.4m programme of works is underway to transform the single track branch line to the Port of Felixstowe. This will allow more freight to be transported by rail to and from the port.  A 1.4km track loop will be installed near Trimley station, giving the flexibility needed to run more freight trains as well as improve the reliability of existing passenger services.

The work will support up to 10 additional trains in each direction to move goods to and from the Port of Felixstowe. With each additional freight train taking the equivalent of up to 76 lorries off the roads, the upgrade works will help to reduce congestion and pollution for the local community and the wider region.

In addition to the track re-doubling, a new bridleway bridge is to be built on the site of the existing Gun Lane level crossing. This will provide an alternative safe route across the railway for walkers, horse riders and cyclists to access the countryside.

To allow this work to take place, during most weekends from 18:50 on Saturday and all day on Sunday, trains will be cancelled. A replacement bus service will operate between Ipswich and Felixstowe, calling at all stations.

Posted here with an eye on the cost and benefit.   Would be very interesting to know how the costs are split between the loop, signalling, the new bridge, and perhaps other items not listed in this short piece.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: