Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:13:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Busiest single track lines  (Read 10139 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« on: April 21, 2017, 14:21:45 »

Purely out of the curiosity, what are the busiest (trains/passengers) single track rail lines, and should they be upgraded?

Over the past two weeks I have heard references to regarding Melksham, Worcester Parkway and Severn Beach line and was wondering should these lines be upgraded, and when.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 14:24:55 »

Purely out of the curiosity, what are the busiest (trains/passengers) single track rail lines, and should they be upgraded?

Over the past two weeks I have heard references to regarding Melksham, Worcester Parkway and Severn Beach line and was wondering should these lines be upgraded, and when.

In our region I would suggest the St.Erth to St.Ives line.  Half hourly service most of the day, only two or three minute turnaround at each end, four car trains jam packed in the summer (and reasonably busy two car trains in the winter).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 15:05:19 »

Henley branch would qualify now it has a half hourly service much of the day.   Windsor branch has a pretty intensive service too - every 20 minutes at times.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 15:14:20 »

Moreton to Dorchester South on the Weymouth to Waterloo line. 4 Trains an hour.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 15:21:28 »

Plenty of half-hourly services on single track lines already mentioned ... and others such as the Falmouth branch and also Weston Milton to Weston-super-mare.

In terms of capacity enhancement needs, it comes down to how long the single line section is, and whether intermediate signals allow trains to follow each other.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 15:38:09 »

In our region I would suggest the St.Erth to St.Ives line.  Half hourly service most of the day, only two or three minute turnaround at each end, four car trains jam packed in the summer (and reasonably busy two car trains in the winter).

Falmouth more so all year round

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 15:40:13 »

Although Falmouth is a single line with a passing loop which makes it different to the others quoted.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 16:02:18 »

Cardiff Bay has 5tph in each direction but it's not an issue as its one train shuttling up and down. As soon as you introduce regularly used passing places then 2tph rapidly becomes the maximum that can reliably be run. A good example is the Rhondda branch where any delay will soon have knock on implications that could last for hours.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 16:09:35 »

No need.  The same unit/s shuttles up and down.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 16:49:22 »

Elsewhere, I believe the most congested single line is the mile-long single-bore tunnel under the runway at Stansted Airport.  4 Stansted Express each way per hour, 1 all-stations stopper to Stratford, 1 Cross-country to Birmingham New Street, and (newly-introduced) all-stations to Cambridge.  Platform space at the Airport is also an issue, but the tunnel itself is the main headache for the train planners.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 17:42:03 »

20 trams per hour (10 in each direction) at Navigation Road's single tram platform ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 20:03:41 »

My idle question has provided a very interesting response.

I would imagine that most single track lines, these days where once dual tracked, and are unlikely to be re-doubled tracked unless the benefits of smart signals, and passing points, including multiplatform stations can add the capacity needed.

So, I wonder if NR» (Network Rail - home page)/DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have a list of single track lines due to be upgraded, and the reason for the upgrade (mixed use, ie commute, freight, high speed, etc)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 20:28:17 »

There has been quite a lot of redoubling over the last 15 years, and we can even see some requadrification happening close to home. Though I suspect the current financial position of NR» (Network Rail - home page) may make future schemes a little less likely, particularly as many of the obvious candidates have been done.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 23:43:13 »

My idle question has provided a very interesting response.

Thanks for posting your topic here, simonw.  Smiley

In my experience, there is no such thing on the Coffee Shop forum as an 'idle question'.

Any such query will generally produce a wide range of replies from our very knowledgeable members, and thus enhance our collective understanding.

Thanks again for your contribution to that process.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 00:13:10 »

Whilst not the busiest in terms of numbers, I think Tisbury loop is used by almost all services all week i.e. almost everything is booked to pass there. As the loop couldn't be put at the station when installed in 1986 due to the westbound platform having been sold, it means about half of the total services between London Waterloo and Exeter are booked to spend a few minutes sitting in a field (well next to one) in Wiltshire. Redouble Wilton to Tisbury including Tisbury station and you could probably shave a fair few minutes off journey times as that's the biggest pinch point between Salisbury and Exeter. You could probably revise the journey times given west of Salisbury the only other line to fit in with is the Exmouth branch for about 1.5 miles from Exmouth Junction to St Davids. But I digress...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: