21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:26:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Service Changes from 30th April '17  (Read 2730 times)
wiltshirebloke

View Profile Email
« on: April 22, 2017, 23:59:31 »

First & Faresaver are making changes to some services as from 30th April.

In the Wiltshire area, First are reducing the 265 service between Warminster & Salisbury from hourly to every 2 hours - minor rerouting in Westbury & Trowbridge. Service 271/272, there are minor changes to the timetable. The Sunday and Public Holiday timetable is revised to operate between Bath and Melksham (Bowerhill) only. Sunday and Public Holiday journeys will operate on a commercial basis and no longer receive financial support from Wiltshire Council. There will be no service to or from Devizes or Urchfont on Sundays and Public Holidays.

https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/news/west-england-service-changes-sunday-30-april

Main change to effect the TransWilts corridor is ;

X34 Chippenham - Frome

From 30th April the X34 is changing. We have made some minor timing alterations, primarily between Trowbridge and Frome and also during the afternoon peak period in Trowbridge in an effort to improve punctuality. The weekday 1830 Chippenham to Trowbridge trip will be terminated from this date. Trains between Chippenham and Melksham/Trowbridge currently operate at 1753 & 1905* – please visit nationalrail.co.uk for full information regarding these services

http://www.faresaver.co.uk/changes.php
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:45:41 »

The Sunday and Public Holiday timetable is revised to operate between Bath and Melksham (Bowerhill) only. Sunday and Public Holiday journeys will operate on a commercial basis and no longer receive financial support from Wiltshire Council. There will be no service to or from Devizes or Urchfont on Sundays and Public Holidays.

https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/news/west-england-service-changes-sunday-30-april

I was speaking with a community bus operator yesterday who's been approached by Wiltshire Council to provide a Sunday service from "Melksham to Devizes" on a Sunday, but declined to do so based on the lack of suitable drivers for a regular Sunday shift over a significant period,  the need to collect fares (which their drivers don't on the community services run) and the need to fit ticket machines.  Also I suspect the overheads / nuisance of registering services, etc.   

First aren't running the service beyond Bowerhill on Sunday, with the remaining section going Commercial.  How much of that was based on a funding squeeze / reduction request / demand by Wiltshire Council, and how much was a decision by First, I don't know.  I also don't know how many approaches have been made, and how seriously, to other operators in order to fill the gap left, or whether (indeed) there has been any success with another of those approaches of which I'm not aware.   

I have seen the new leaflet that's online for the times, and it shown the First service on a Sunday running with one vehicle and terminating at Bowerhill, with no mention of another operator's ongoing connection to Devizes and Urchfont, but that in itself doesn't indicate the lack of such a service - just a lack of joined up marketing should such a service exist.

Wiltshirebloke - you say "There will be no service to or from Devizes or Urchfont on Sundays and Public Holidays." - is that for definite from any operator, or purely referring to First's service(s)?

Just about the busiest bus stop on the 271 on a Sunday in the summer has been "The Three Magpies" at Sells Green where it serves the large camp ground and the canal. That's on the section that's going.   Wonderful timing to pull the bus service just before the start of the season!

Ongoing ... with the 271 (supported) on a Sunday now becoming the 272 (commercial), my understanding is that we're moved away from a service that's run under a major element of council direction to a service that has one less safety net, and if it doesn't work out too well having cut off the Sunday traffic from Urchfont, Easterton, Market Lavington, West Lavington, Potterne, Devizes and Sells Green it could be withdrawn with the council saying "nothing to do with us" at 6 week's notice.  This concerns me.

Main change to effect the TransWilts corridor is ;

X34 Chippenham - Frome

From 30th April the X34 is changing. We have made some minor timing alterations, primarily between Trowbridge and Frome and also during the afternoon peak period in Trowbridge in an effort to improve punctuality. The weekday 1830 Chippenham to Trowbridge trip will be terminated from this date. Trains between Chippenham and Melksham/Trowbridge currently operate at 1753 & 1905* – please visit nationalrail.co.uk for full information regarding these services

http://www.faresaver.co.uk/changes.php
[/quote]

I was speaking yesterday with the owner / operator of a tourist business including accommodation in Lacock, which is halfway between Chippenham and Melksham.  Since the 234 was withdrawn in summer 2015 (again, Wiltshire Council saving support money on a contact that didn't continue) his business and others have noticed the effect.  He was telling me how many of his visitors are from overseas (some from a very long way - he listed about 10 countries) and don't drive / use(d) the buses.   

Although the trains provide a later service that the x34, and they provide a Sunday service too, this only calls at Chippenham, Melksham and Trowbridge, and can connect on to Frome.  It does nothing for intermediate traffic such as Lacock, Semington and Hilperton.

The 18:30 Faresaver bus was added six months to a year after the evening 234 was withdrawn; the 234 service fro Chippenham carried 12 to 18 passengers each and every day and indeed was commercial, without the need for council subsidy (and therefore without any possible safety net of a contract to be broken when withdrawn). I suspect that the regular passengers from the old 234 had found alternative modes of travel (or as I've seen in other cases had lost their jobs / employment as it had become impractical) before the service restarted, resulting in it being a commercial failure without an initial base traffic, and not given the 3 years that public transport innovations really need to get properly up and running, stable and evaluated.

The chap from Lacock asked (more just-in-case than with any real hope,  I think) about the re-opening of Lacock Station, pointing out that the platform's still there.   Melksham re-opened with a slewed track in 1985, but I fear that times have changed to such an extent that a similar exercise today is improbable.

The last (supported) bus on 234 used to be at 22:16 from Chippenham, connecting well off the 21:58 arrival from London, and sometimes off the 22:11 arrival from Penzance, which wasn't / isn't the world's best timekeeper.   It was well used - double figures of passengers on most evenings, but as it ran with a vehicle that had been much less lighted loaded during the evening it wasn't a stand-alone commercial possibility.   However, there is a strong case for a further cycle of the TransWilts train - current last service off Swindon at 20:06; further option giving a travel opportunity between 2 and 3 hours later.   Note the trial service that ran one evening last September.   The flow metrics are such that such a train would attract far more passengers than the bus did.

Finally,  at least I'm happy that the Faresaver leaflet points to the rail alternative, if only at the one specific time of day rather than including Saturday evening and Sunday times too ...

Extending this thread to note that the Sunday bus from Swindon to Marlborough, Pewsey and Salisbury was cut back to just Swindon to Marlborough at the beginning of this month, and the Swindon to Devizes bus which used to be hourly on a Sunday now only runs every 2 hours; it provides the only service to Avebury, and now provides the only Sunday bus into Devizes, which (with the loss of the 271) has been reduced from 3 buses every 2 hours on a Sunday to just one bus every 2 hours - a 66% cut ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 15:59:42 »

The Sunday and Public Holiday timetable is revised to operate between Bath and Melksham (Bowerhill) only. Sunday and Public Holiday journeys will operate on a commercial basis and no longer receive financial support from Wiltshire Council. There will be no service to or from Devizes or Urchfont on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Update on my own earlier post.

First are not running beyond Melksham / Bowerhill, but Salisbury Reds ARE providing a service.  Notices went up on some of the bus stops it will serve in Melksham, showing changes and connections.  Tipped off by a resident, I went to one of the chosen bus stops:

* Actually, some sense in using the Salisbury Red bus that's parked up from 19:00 on Saturday to 07:05 on Monday to provide the Sunday service. 

* Not sure through passengers from Bath to Devizes will be thrilled with a 21 minute wait in Melksham Market Place

* What a pity that the First publicity makes no reference to the Devizes connection - you would have thought it would be in their interest to help get more passengers on their leg of the journey

* Interesting to choose offices in Trowbridge and Devizes for the leaflet, and only some of the bus stops.  Melksham town hall and tourist information, and an online URL, would have been my choice.

I expect the Wiltshire Council Cabinet member for Highways and Transport is relieved at this new service, as it means that his Urchfont base doesn't loose its Sunday bus a week before the local council election.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
wiltshirebloke

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 23:34:07 »

To clarify that was a copy of text direct from First's publicity.

The whole change communication is somewhat of a shambles. Their changes have only been publicised only a week before introduction, which includes a re-location of stop in Trowbridge, and also the supposed withdrawal of 265 Sunday journeys between Trowbridge and Warminster, again mentioned in their publicity, but on their new timetable now shows a feeder bus operating those journeys separately.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:48:40 »

To clarify that was a copy of text direct from First's publicity.

The whole change communication is somewhat of a shambles. Their changes have only been publicised only a week before introduction, which includes a re-location of stop in Trowbridge, and also the supposed withdrawal of 265 Sunday journeys between Trowbridge and Warminster, again mentioned in their publicity, but on their new timetable now shows a feeder bus operating those journeys separately.

Having a closer look at the timetable, it seems that some opportunities haven't been taken up.

** Sunday trains call at Melksham every 2 hours (nice and regular) - arriving from Swindon at 09:54, 11:54, etc.   And the new bus arrives at 09:50, 11:50, etc before leaving again at 09:55 and 11:55 ... but it takes a route out of town that's not via the Station.   At the far end of its route, it sits for 22 minutes at Urchfont.  Not thought out, or designed to avoid intermodal connections?

** For some reasons, early runs out of Devizes are not advertised.  The first advertised bus to Potterne, West Lavington, Market Lavington, Easterton and Urchfont doesn't get there until 14:40.   Later runs from Urchfont miss out Easterton, Market Lavington, West Lavington and Potterne - the last bus back from Urchfont is 15:02.  Not thought out, or designed to avoid any visitor / tourists trips out to the lovely countryside and little towns south of Devizes, for walks on the flank of Salisbury Plain.

** First used to run the Melksham to Devizes and Urchfont Sunday service (with the first arrival at Easterton 4 hours earlier than the new service, and last departure from there 4 hours later) but there is no mention of changing at Melksham for Devizes, the Lavingtons, Easterton and Urchfont in their new .pdf brochure that's online.    Not thought out, or designed to avoid any new traffic from passengers not "in the know"?

I've not seen or heard of any consultation with the public on this matter.   It strikes me as being rather like the emergency application of a sticking plaster when a decision was taken that First would no longer run the 271 beyond Melksham. However, there's been no opportunity taken to clean the wound under the sticking plaster to aid its healing, no application of antiseptic cream in the form of marketing, no stitches in the form of sewing in new traffic, and I can only hope that that wound doesn't get septic resulting in the (avoidable) loss of the whole limb.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: