Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:42:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Stations in Wales - priority list  (Read 25038 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 29, 2017, 13:49:18 »

New Railway Stations in Wales - proposals .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39733717

New railway station plans for Wales chosen for scrutiny

Economy Secretary Ken Skates has written to AMs saying the sites have been chosen from a list of 46 proposals for more detailed scrutiny.

Priority railway station proposals
Cardiff: Ely Mill/Victoria Park
Cardiff: Newport Road/Rover Way
Cardiff: St Mellons
Newport: Llanwern
Swansea: Cockett
Swansea: Landore
St Clears
Deeside Industrial Park/Northern Gateway
North Wrexham
South Wrexham
Llangefni
Bow Street

What - no Carno?  Anyone have the full list of 46?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 15:04:29 »

So I'll stick my neck out on one proposal, Newport Rd/Rover Way.

It's very familiar to me - indeed my father took me to that exact bridge when I was around 4 to watch the trains (and in hindsight, to give my mother some respite), and Mum still lives close by. I still remember the surprise we had when we turned up one day to find the signal box demolished and the area controlled by colour lights.

I can't see the sense in the proposal. Being a four track railway it would be hugely expensive, and there isn't that great a housing catchment area within walking distance, even with the newish flats built on the old Freightliner depot. Newport Rd is very well catered for by numerous buses, which take office commuters to the right side of the city centre for the majority of them. Given the line is very busy, unless the services run on the relief lines, it would cause performance issues too.   
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 17:51:58 »

There is a Park and Ride Close by there isn't there?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 18:10:42 »

It's a fair way away, and not really aimed at the same market. 
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:03 »

So I'll stick my neck out on one proposal, Newport Rd/Rover Way.

It's very familiar to me - indeed my father took me to that exact bridge when I was around 4 to watch the trains (and in hindsight, to give my mother some respite), and Mum still lives close by. I still remember the surprise we had when we turned up one day to find the signal box demolished and the area controlled by colour lights.

I can't see the sense in the proposal. Being a four track railway it would be hugely expensive, and there isn't that great a housing catchment area within walking distance, even with the newish flats built on the old Freightliner depot. Newport Rd is very well catered for by numerous buses, which take office commuters to the right side of the city centre for the majority of them. Given the line is very busy, unless the services run on the relief lines, it would cause performance issues too.   

Wasn't there a developer who wanted to pay for at least part of the station?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 11:33:05 »

I wasn't aware of that. Can't think of any attractive land nearby that might be ripe for development, but you never know.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 20:28:13 »

New Railway Stations in Wales - proposals .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39733717

New railway station plans for Wales chosen for scrutiny

Economy Secretary Ken Skates has written to AMs saying the sites have been chosen from a list of 46 proposals for more detailed scrutiny.

Priority railway station proposals
Cardiff: Ely Mill/Victoria Park
Cardiff: Newport Road/Rover Way
Cardiff: St Mellons
Newport: Llanwern
Swansea: Cockett
Swansea: Landore
St Clears
Deeside Industrial Park/Northern Gateway
North Wrexham
South Wrexham
Llangefni
Bow Street

What - no Carno?  Anyone have the full list of 46?

Bow Street Station opened today!   https://www.facebook.com/paul.hinge.3/posts/10158967431894771

On the former Cambrian / Great Western Central Wales line from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth , between Aberystwyth and Borth.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 08:05:20 »

Specific Bow Street thread at http://www.passenger.chat/24676 - some more (general) background from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article sourced there.

Bow Street is the first station to open in Wales since Pye Corner in Newport more than six years ago - and other than some new trains, this is the first tangible marker for the Transport for Wales rail franchise.

But Welsh ministers and rail bosses hope it is the first of many stations around Wales that are being considered to improve public transport infrastructure.

A project to reopen St Clears station in Carmarthenshire has secured £4.7m of UK (United Kingdom) government funding while the Welsh Government wants UK government cash help to build stations at Carno in Powys, Deeside Parkway in Flintshire and Ely Mill in Cardiff.

A privately funded £30m Cardiff Parkway station at St Mellons has also been backed by ministers in Wales.

Four more stations - three in Newport and one at Magor in Monmouthshire - have also been recommended by a Welsh Government-backed commission looking to alleviate congestion on the M4 following the scrapping of a new £1.6bn motorway south of Newport.

But although Transport for Wales - which runs the Wales and Border rail franchise - is Welsh Government-owned, most rail infrastructure in Wales and across the UK is under Westminster control.

"We have lots of ambitions for reopening a number of railway stations and increasing the number of services but railways are run by the UK government," said Welsh Deputy Transport Minister Lee Waters.

"We're stuck in the sidings a little bit. Without UK government stepping up to the plate, we don't have the means to deliver them.

"We've called for extra powers to be given to Wales for railway infrastructure. We are being short-changed by £5bn over the next 10 years for the investment we need. "

The UK Government said the Welsh Government can and does invest in station construction and upgrade, in addition to the funding provided Westminster.

"This Government has committed a record £1.5 billion to the Welsh railways in recent years," added a Department for Transport spokesperson.

"The specification, procurement and management of rail services in Wales is devolved to Welsh ministers and we work closely with them."

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 09:49:38 »

From the Tivyside Advertiser

Plans to reopen a train station that has remained closed for over 60 years once again hang in the balance as a result of a substantial escalation in costs resulting in a shortfall of nearly £6 million.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: