Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 25 Apr 2024
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services within five years
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
16:58 London Paddington to Evesham
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:05 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:19 Moreton-In-Marsh to Oxford
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:04:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Line Capacity - single line.  (Read 4803 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 01, 2017, 07:40:30 »

What a lovely reminder of just how much traffic can pass through the TransWilts.   A Bank Holiday Monday so a few of the earlier trains not running, but a pretty full general Monday to Firdy service all around otherwise - except that there's engineering works on the Berks and Hants, so lots of long distance expresses passing through.

Scheduled (see http://atrebatia.info/reminder_20170501.pdf ), we have
- 13 TransWilts regional services
- 26 London to The West expresses
- 18 freight paths (I have single-counted those which are alternatives that would conflict if both ran)
I make that 57 paths!

32 regional trains paths + 20 freight paths looks comfortable then  Grin  ... clock face hourly regional service with trains passing fairly near the end of the single line, with a freight train in the gap left each hour.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:47:16 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:14:34 »

But, the 'normal' Monday to Friday freights are still on that list, such as the 08:17, 15:10, 16:17 etc which won't run (and also can't possibly run to those times without some sort of magic trick)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 12:12:26 »

But, the 'normal' Monday to Friday freights are still on that list, such as the 08:17, 15:10, 16:17 etc which won't run (and also can't possibly run to those times without some sort of magic trick)

Good point; a closer look suggests that the could run at somewhat varied times and I suspect they're left in there as "notional" trains for which the timekeeping isn't quite so vital.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 19:16:25 »

Diary note ... if it hasn't worked too well today, there may be extenuating circumstances!

Due to animals on the railway between Castle Cary and Westbury all lines are blocked.

Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 100 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 20:00 01/05

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 19:32:44 »

And I note

17:28 Warminster to Worcester Shrub Hill due 20:30 has been previously delayed, has been further delayed at Westbury and is now 11 minutes late.
This is due to the train departing late to maintain customer connections.

and

18:38 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 20:48 has been delayed at Westbury and is now 30 minutes late.
This is due to animals on the railway.

sensible to delay final trains ...

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 22:24:40 »

Lions, from Longleat, possibly?   Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 23:11:16 »

Lions, from Longleat, possibly?   Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Just lion on the tracks you think?   Cheesy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 23:15:40 »

Purrrfectly benign - until you drive a train at them.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:18:50 »

For the record it was five cows and three calves.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 21:19:28 »

Hmm.  Trackside fence maintenance not up to date, then?  Is that the fault of the farmer, or Network Rail?  Roll Eyes

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 08:00:29 »

The railway company bears the burden, as we in the heritage sector know well.  Sad
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 09:44:33 »

The railway company bears the burden, as we in the heritage sector know well.  Sad

Maybe ... unless they escaped through another fence, onto a road, and then go onto the railway at a level crossing, perhaps?

In 2014 ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) held a consultation on updating a load of minor regulations on safety (i.e. those not covered by the main EU» (European Union - about)-derived laws). Did you miss it? After several inputs on this topic, they decided not to change the rules on fencing. 

Their parting comment on it was:
We sent the final draft of the regulations and impact assessment  to the Department for Transport in June 2015 which will enable the regulations to be laid before Parliament. The regulations and impact assessment will now go through the Department's clearance processes and the effective date for the new regulations is expected to be in 2016. In the meantime we are preparing draft guidance to the regulations.

I can't find anything since then, not from ORR, nor DfT» (Department for Transport - about), nor in The Safety Legislation Update from RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board). So it looks as if, either way, The Railway Safety (Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 1997 still apply:
Unauthorised access

3.—(1) So far as is reasonably practicable, a person in control of any infrastructure of a transport system to which this regulation applies shall ensure, where and to the extent necessary for safety, that unauthorised access to that infrastructure is prevented.

(2) In paragraph (1) “access” means access by any person not at work on the transport system or by any animal.

(3) This regulation applies to any transport system except that it does not apply to any part of such a system which—
(a)is within a harbour, harbour area, maintenance or goods depot; or
(b)is part of a factory, mine or quarry,

where access to the harbour, harbour area, maintenance or goods depot, factory, mine or quarry is adequately controlled.

(4) Breach of a duty imposed by this regulation shall not confer a right of action in any civil proceedings.

I'm not sure of the point, or the effect, of that final loopholeexclusion. Does it mean farmers have to do temporary repairs themselves to protect their stock? It should prompt them to report damage and pester the railway to do repairs, at least.

I suspect there may be a few cases where the boundary (e.g. a wall) is owned by the neighbouring property, for whatever reason, and upkeep is the neighbour's responsibility. But that would be the exception, as when the railways were built they had to protect (often influential landowners') livestock from their dangerous new-fangled train things.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 10:03:17 »

I have been told that the actual boundary of the railway ownership is six feet on the outside (with respect to the railway) of each fence.  This is to allow the railway company access to both sides of the fence for the purposes of upkeep and repair. An interesting conundrum arises when someone plants their garden shed up hard against the railway fence line.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:54 »

I have been told that the actual boundary of the railway ownership is six feet on the outside (with respect to the railway) of each fence.  This is to allow the railway company access to both sides of the fence for the purposes of upkeep and repair. An interesting conundrum arises when someone plants their garden shed up hard against the railway fence line.

I've seen plenty people extend their gardens a fair distance well beyond the fence onto railway property...!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 12:52:56 »

If you want the original version of the rules on fences, they are in The Railway Clauses (Consolidation) Act 1845 (or in full, "An  Act  for  consolidating  in  One  Net  certain  Provisions  usually  inserted  in  Acts  authorizing  the  making  of  Railways. [8th May 1845.]"). As it says, this standardised what was put in railway acts, based on what was by then standard practice. It stood until 1962, and has been revised several times since. What it said about fences, as well as other aspects of "accommodation" of neighbours, was this:
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: