Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Additional 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 20:56:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Exeter Chiefs at Twickenham: May 27, 2017
  • Football fans travelling: May 28, 2017 - May 29, 2017
  • Reading FC fans to Wembley: May 29, 2017
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: May 2017 Bank Holiday weekend - extra busy services to / from Paddington  (Read 14887 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2017, 20:23:44 »

Upto 38,000 Reading fans will be heading to Wembley on the bank holiday Monday, many travelling by train. (15:00 KO).

I expect morning/lunchtime travel towards London to be fairly staggered although coming back, I fully expect services departing Paddington between 17:30 and early evening to be extremely busy.

I know in the past the odd extra or strengthened turbo has appeared late on, although as things stand there is a distinct lack of services with only 3 HSTs (High Speed Train) (Cornwall/South Wales/Bristol) and 3 turbos (Bedwyn/Cotswolds/Oxford) per hour fast from Paddington.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 20:17:30 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 20:29:19 »

To be fair, you've hardly given the railway any opportunity to work out any additional services, let alone publicise them.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 20:36:01 »

In the meantime, Adelante_CCT, I've taken the opportunity to link this topic to the Coffee Shop forum's calendar.  CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:02:59 »

I'm amazed there are that many Reading fans!  Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 05:20:28 »

You'd be amazed how many previously unseen lifelong, loyal, diehard fans emerge when any club reaches Wembley!
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:08:18 »

To be fair, you've hardly given the railway any opportunity to work out any additional services, let alone publicise them.

True, this was more of a warning to the uninitiated about the busy services, and of course this thread can be updated if or hopefully when additionals are added in due course.

Well I did say upto 38,000  Smiley

You'd be amazed how many previously unseen lifelong, loyal, diehard fans emerge when any club reaches Wembley!

Very true TG, I am a season ticket holder though so at least I can be excused from that group  Smiley
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 07:17:47 »

We'll see what they do, but I imagine more than a couple of extra trains will be difficult to path as I would think two tracks will be closed so Crossrail works can continue?

Perhaps a couple of 9-12 car Turbos could run to really provide some high capacity additional trains?  Also encourage Reading's fan base from the Didcot area to travel via Oxford/Chiltern and others to travel via Waterloo.

Has all the makings of a bit of a disaster!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:36:53 »

We'll see what they do, but I imagine more than a couple of extra trains will be difficult to path as I would think two tracks will be closed so Crossrail works can continue?

Perhaps a couple of 9-12 car Turbos could run to really provide some high capacity additional trains?  Also encourage Reading's fan base from the Didcot area to travel via Oxford/Chiltern and others to travel via Waterloo.

Has all the makings of a bit of a disaster!

'Twas ever thus, railway can't seem to cope with major sporting events.....having said that, some lessons seem to have been learned judging by the service GWR (Great Western Railway) are providing for the Champions league final in Cardiff, so maybe they'll surprise us!

Thankfully the mighty Plymouth Argyle gained automatic promotion this season, so for the first time in a few years I don't have to contemplate the agony of the playoffs!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:15:29 »

I sympathise with NR» (Network Rail - home page)/GWR (Great Western Railway) in this case as Crossrail work has been planned for ages and to postpone it would cost a lot of money and could jeopardise the on-time completion of the project.  And with such matches you then need to have fall back plans as the time the majority of fans arrive back at Paddington will vary by 1-2 hours depending on whether they get beaten in normal time or win in a penalty shootout.

Let's hope they can find a few extra paths and fill them with maximum length trains.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:15:20 »

Playoffs between teams that can be from anywhere in the country that don't actually become predictable until a few weeks before the season ends are impossible to plan round.   Unless you declare certain weekends maintenance free across the entire main line network this is nearly always going to result in moans from somewhere.

Paul
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 12:58:07 »

We'll see what they do, but I imagine more than a couple of extra trains will be difficult to path as I would think two tracks will be closed so Crossrail works ...

Don't think so, RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) seems to show all 4 tracks running normally throughout. 4 stoppers per hour and the Heathrow and Hayes services running as normal in addition to the fasts posted above.

The main engineering works being in the Swindon area.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 14:01:31 »

That's a relief.  If you'll excuse the pun.

Apologies for not checking and as a result misleading everyone, but I can't remember the last bank holiday when there wasn't a two track timetable in operation and given the amount of platform extensions underway I'm surprised.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 07:34:51 »

Exeter City have now booked their place at Wembley.  They'll face Blackpool on Sunday 28th May.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 13:09:40 »

Exeter's away following is pretty small (unless they're playing Plymouth!) there will undoubtedly be a boost from the bandwagon brigade but I doubt it'll be vast numbers.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 13:14:31 »

Even to Wembley?...I think otherwise.

And Mods - update to subject to include the 28th May?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: