I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:57:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Perspectives of Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge and the first Severn Road Bridge  (Read 7976 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2017, 17:56:02 »

From the Bristol Post:

A view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the old Severn Bridge, seen from Dundry Hill, Bristol (Photo: Dan Regan)

And, by the way, my personal thanks to Dan Regan for that absolutely brilliant picture of those two bridges - it's not an image I've seen before, but it really is a good one!  Cheesy

Indeed, brilliant photo  Smiley

A night time photo would be quite good at the moment, assuming the Clifton bridge is lit, as they recently strung up some fairy lights on the Severn Bridge

Edit note: Quote from previous post inserted, purely in the interests of continuity and clarity. CfN.  Wink

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 16:41:12 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 18:48:10 »

Next time my delivery route takes me up over Dundry - and if I have a moment or two to spare - I shall see whether I can replicate that image!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 20:09:15 »

I mighttry it anyway, when I've a minute. Although it gets dark after my bed time at present. (And I'm in Spain).

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 20:27:14 »

Amazing photo. I've never noticed both bridges together from any point on Dundry; is that definitely where it's taken from?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 20:58:45 »

Amazing photo. I've never noticed both bridges together from any point on Dundry; is that definitely where it's taken from?

Well, that's where the Bristol Post says the picture was taken - and they wouldn't get it wrong, surely?   Wink

Actually, by the simple expedient of laying out my Ordnance Survey map on the floor of my study, and lining up a long piece of wood along it, I reckon that image was indeed taken from a vantage point on Dundry Hill, between West Dundry Lane and North Hill Farm.

I shall endeavour to replicate that image, next time I'm up there on Dundry.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:08 »

My bit of wood, or rather tape measure, puts it further east than that. But further west is higher and thus a better vantage point.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 18:53:57 »

Well, that's where the Bristol Post says the picture was taken - and they wouldn't get it wrong, surely?   Wink

Actually, by the simple expedient of laying out my Ordnance Survey map on the floor of my study, and lining up a long piece of wood along it, I reckon that image was indeed taken from a vantage point on Dundry Hill, between West Dundry Lane and North Hill Farm.

I shall endeavour to replicate that image, next time I'm up there on Dundry.  Grin

I think I got close to Dan Regan's location, but my angle and focal length are different. I was maxed out at 300mm on a crop sensor DSLR (Nikon D5300). I suspect the original was a slightly longer focal length and possibly full frame sensor.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 19:25:31 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 20:06:41 »

A touch to the east and you'll pretty much be there! All we need now is that night time shot...  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 21:03:05 »

A touch to the east and you'll pretty much be there! All we need now is that night time shot...  Grin

I would have gone further east down the lane I found were it not for the young 'uns sitting under a tree smoking something with a distinct odour. There was also the problem of power lines being in shot further east.

I have a feeling the original was taken in the middle of the field above the lane I found. Slightly higher and the deck of the Severn Bridge wouldn't be obscured by Kings Weston Hill. I'd stick to a hedge line without permission, but would never traipse into the middle of a field without asking the landowner.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 21:17:45 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 22:26:49 »

So as well as being a good photographer and a railway buff BNM also has hidden Circus skills  Grin.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:20:32 »

Great photo BNM!  Grin

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 17:40:13 »

I have now split off these previous posts from the 'Severn Bridge Tolls' topic, and created a new topic here, for our ongoing discussion of the photographic aspects.  Wink

My delivery route this morning, perhaps fortuitously (or more likely mischievously on my part!) happened to take me up over Dundry Hill.  I therefore turned off the official route and found a vantage point - encouraged by my noticing a gap in the hedge, apparently trampled by previous voyeurs:

The view was thus:

... and, from a few feet further to the left of that vantage point:

However ... on my return journey, I realised that there was probably an even better vantage point, behind my own, at a slightly higher elevation.

My apologies for the poor quality of my images - they were taken with my mobile phone - but if bignosemac and I could get together sometime, with our combined geographic and photographic skills, I reckon we'd get some blinding images up there on Dundry!

CfN.  Grin

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 22:31:52 »

I know exactly where you were Chris. Just past the Glamping pods in a little lay by. I scoped that spot too but couldn't keep the power lines out of shot. Middle of that ploughed field would be perfect. Landowner permission of course! I took my shot from the bottom of that field where there's a restricted byway just off Broadoak Hill.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 23:37:53 »

You're absolutely right about where I was - indeed, I parked my van briefly in one of those 'passing places' on that lane.  Wink

However, to gain the extra height needed to include the whole deck of the Severn Road Bridge in the picture, I realised afterwards that there is an even higher vantage point - around the back of the houses at Maiden Head.  I reckon that's where Dan Regan took his picture.

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 10:03:35 »

You're absolutely right about where I was - indeed, I parked my van briefly in one of those 'passing places' on that lane.  Wink

However, to gain the extra height needed to include the whole deck of the Severn Road Bridge in the picture, I realised afterwards that there is an even higher vantage point - around the back of the houses at Maiden Head.  I reckon that's where Dan Regan took his picture.

Wouldn't the roof of your van give you about another 9 or 10ft?!  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: