Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:13:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains struck a location cabinet door in Chipping Sodbury Tunnel, 20 Feb 2017  (Read 4065 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: May 21, 2017, 20:37:43 »

From the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)) website:

RAIB has today released its safety digest into trains striking a location cabinet door in Chipping Sodbury Tunnel, 20 February 2017.

This accident demonstrates the importance of:

• track workers and managers being suitably briefed that the air flows generated by trains within tunnels can be significant, and capable of forcing open unsecured lineside cabinet doors which may then strike passing trains

• complying with the rules for securing doors of location cabinets when work has been completed, and checking them before confirming that lines are safe and clear for the passage of trains

• introducing control measures during the planning of works to reduce the risks associated with unsecured location cabinet doors during or after decommissioning of the cabinets

• being aware of NIR 3350/218 and the need to check that the Train Protection Warning System (TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System)) equipment is working normally in the event of the train sustaining damage in a collision with an object or debris on the track

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 21:17:28 »

The press releases were out a few days ago
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 20:05:47 »

I know they were - I received them, at the time (18 May 2017, at 10:00am).  Roll Eyes

However, as I was rather busy elsewhere, and I post any such items here on the Coffee Shop forum in my spare time, I chose to post those details here 'whenever I next get a few moments'.

Any member of the Coffee Shop forum who also receives such items of news is very welcome to post details here, for the information and benefit of all of our readers.

Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 21:14:30 »

Any member of the Coffee Shop forum who also receives such items of news is very welcome to post details here, for the information and benefit of all of our readers.

Hear hear.

It's very interesting to look at who posts the most, and who starts topics the most - those topic starter very often being people sharing news ... that's so welcome in that it helps keep the forum widely informed and vibrant.   Anyone (including guests) can the most prolific members and work out their ratios - between 13% and 18% of posts may be thread-starters and that's a number that I'm very comfortable with indeed.  A big "thank you" to people who fall in that bracket.

Where other members are asking questions within a thread, or discussing wisdom already shared but feel nervous of starting threads, much lower numbers are perfectly fine. Any member can work out their own rates by looking in the statistics on their profile.

I'm going to suggest - for discussion - that members who have posted thousands of messages but less than 4% of them are topic starters should ask themselves "could I help ChrisfN, and Graham, and others who put so much of their spare time into seeding these boards with interesting stories?"

Go on - take a look at your stats and see what your number is!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 21:41:06 »

I only made my post as you stated that the report was released 'today' when it was a few dats earlier.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 04:41:35 »

A possibly-stupid question: why are these things called "location" cabinets?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:20:15 »

A possibly-stupid question: why are these things called "location" cabinets?

I have understood them to be "on location" - i.e. near the equipment that they control - rather than being back in the signal box. 

You can have lots of wires from the signal (or track circuit, axle counter, etc) back to the location cabinet, but then just one wire [pair] back to the distant signal box, where the signal widens out into a lot of complex wiring.   We do rather the same thing in IT, where you have complex server but then that reduces down to a very simple thing connection to what might be a thick application / client.  It's why stuff gets compressed into .zips or images into .jpgs which are a lot lighter than one byte / unit of colour per pixel.

Here's a diagram of how this works.

The head on the top represents the signaller / controller - the unit behind the co-ordination of the whole thing.

That connects via quite a thin connection to a box of tricks in the largely black container. That's the signal box.

Another thinner section for the wiring out to the location cabinet, which is the largely hot pink box of tricks on this diagram, and in this example is controlling two pieces of trackside equipment connected in from below.

Two appendages come out from the signal box. One can be used to join to the next signal box logic (you can see the connector on the end) and the other is a roving engineer based at the signal box - his reach is long enough to get into either of the two boxes (the black one and the pink one) and do things there, but special measures have to be taken if he's working trackside at the very bottom of the diagram ...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:47:01 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 08:00:40 »

Cheesy In my 50 years in the S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) industry thats the best explanation I've ever seen of how a signalling system works  Cheesy Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: