I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:18:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Jurassic Mule 2017  (Read 12531 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: May 22, 2017, 16:45:05 »

The Jurassic Mule open top service operated by Mendip Mule Motorbus starts for the 2017 season this saturday.

All day fares:
Adults £7.95
Seniors £6.95
Children £5.95
Family (2+2) £19.95
Extra family child £3.95

These fares are a hop on hop off ticket, and valid for unlimited travel all day.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 15:01:12 »

Due to vehicle unavailability the service will operate the yellow timetable until further notice. keep an eye on facebook page for updates.
The route serves 27 CAMRA pub guide featured pubs, what better reason than to give it a go Wink

https://www.facebook.com/mendipmulemotorbus/

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 15:47:56 »

Add to that the First "Slowcoaster" from Weymouth via Portland Sailing Academy to Abbotsbury and Bridport; Service 510 runs three times a day.

https://www.firstgroup.com/wessex-dorset-south-somerset/more/jurassic-coaster/slowcoaster

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 22:50:41 »

We, at the mendip Mule motorbus are running a gala tour weekend based out of Seaton on the weekend of 2/3 September. We will have at least 4 open top VRs and our open top RE (Religious Education) in service over each day of the weekend. I've attached a suggested itinerary we've created that will allow riding each of the 5 vehicles over each day. In addition to the fares shown on the attached poster 2 day tickets will be available at 1.5 times the single day fare.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:55:06 »

Sorry can't read images where does it run two and from? Does it go via Axminister?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 15:33:00 »

Sorry can't read images where does it run two and from? Does it go via Axminister?
Click on the image and it will expand for you.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:55:39 »

From Facebook in a public post by Derek Gawn on 4th September

Passenger announcement

It is with sadness a decision has been taken that our open top services will cease earlier than planned due to ongoing issues from a few Seaton and Colyton residents.

We appreciate it is a small minority causing problems but in the interests of our staff we simply cannot allow the harassment to continue and will withdraw all service after the close of business on Sunday 10th September.

Over the course of the weekend we have had a Colyton resident photographing our staff coming and going off duty in their private cars.

A separate Colyton resident parking cars to try to block access to our depot- a DVSA approved depot no less. I just hope nobody needs a fire engine beyond the parked cars as they'd have little hope of getting through.

A resident of the flats adjacent to Seaton bus park complaining repeatedly to us we were parking buses in the bus park and subjecting staff to verbal unpleasantries, we are unsure what else they'd expect to be parked in there- probably not the best place to live if you don't want buses parked outside. All engines are switched off immediately on parking.

A local independent operator has complained to the council about our fare structure. All fares are in compliance with tour regulations and as a commercial business we can set our fares as we feel suit the market.

We have also received unpleasantness emails and messages from individuals claiming to represent AVMT. We should add they only claim to represent AVMT and we haven't been able to verify such. All messages have been screen printed before deleting.

It is a shame these short sighted local residents have failed to see the level of business we have carried to their town's economy over the summer. Our staff alone have spent several thousands in accommodation, meals and drinks in local businesses, let alone the hundreds of holiday makers and locals from across the route we have carried who will be spending money at their destinations.

We are sorry to disappoint our supporters across the entire route that we will not be continuing beyond Sunday night however we feel protecting our staff from these individuals is most important.

We'd like to thank everyone who has supported us through the summer.

The blue timetable will continue to operate until Sunday night. We will make a further announcement regarding the weekend in due course.

Considerable follow up on that thread and lots of sharing.

DVSA - Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

AVMT - Axe Valley Mini Travel

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 10:43:25 »

From Facebook in a public post by Derek Gawn on 4th September

Passenger announcement

It is with sadness a decision has been taken that our open top services will cease earlier than planned due to ongoing issues from a few Seaton and Colyton residents.

We appreciate it is a small minority causing problems but in the interests of our staff we simply cannot allow the harassment to continue and will withdraw all service after the close of business on Sunday 10th September.

Over the course of the weekend we have had a Colyton resident photographing our staff coming and going off duty in their private cars.

A separate Colyton resident parking cars to try to block access to our depot- a DVSA approved depot no less. I just hope nobody needs a fire engine beyond the parked cars as they'd have little hope of getting through.

A resident of the flats adjacent to Seaton bus park complaining repeatedly to us we were parking buses in the bus park and subjecting staff to verbal unpleasantries, we are unsure what else they'd expect to be parked in there- probably not the best place to live if you don't want buses parked outside. All engines are switched off immediately on parking.

A local independent operator has complained to the council about our fare structure. All fares are in compliance with tour regulations and as a commercial business we can set our fares as we feel suit the market.

We have also received unpleasantness emails and messages from individuals claiming to represent AVMT. We should add they only claim to represent AVMT and we haven't been able to verify such. All messages have been screen printed before deleting.

It is a shame these short sighted local residents have failed to see the level of business we have carried to their town's economy over the summer. Our staff alone have spent several thousands in accommodation, meals and drinks in local businesses, let alone the hundreds of holiday makers and locals from across the route we have carried who will be spending money at their destinations.

We are sorry to disappoint our supporters across the entire route that we will not be continuing beyond Sunday night however we feel protecting our staff from these individuals is most important.

We'd like to thank everyone who has supported us through the summer.

The blue timetable will continue to operate until Sunday night. We will make a further announcement regarding the weekend in due course.

Considerable follow up on that thread and lots of sharing.

DVSA - Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

AVMT - Axe Valley Mini Travel

Posted by me not derek. I was personally subject to a verbal tirade on Sunday by a resident of the flats overlooking the bus park for...wait for it... parking a bus in the bus park.
We have been subject to 10s of messages from Facebook profiles set up to message us, which then get deleted all represented themselves  as employees of AVMT

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:13:21 »

Posted by me not derek. I was personally subject to a verbal tirade on Sunday by a resident of the flats overlooking the bus park for...wait for it... parking a bus in the bus park.

We have been subject to 10s of messages from Facebook profiles set up to message us, which then get deleted all represented themselves  as employees of AVMT

I have read through the Facebook thread ... really nasty.   Rather than summarise here and add my own bias within that summary, I'll let others read that to get the flavour - it's a public post.

Both on this forum and in real life, I've come across vexatious people, and know the crippling time and emotional effect it can have.  The natural reaction is to say "don't let the bu***ers win" when they're in a tiny minority and employing less than legal techniques, but that can be easier said than done.  From the public thread on Facebook - "why give in" - reply "Because i am nearly 65 - have had 47 years in the industry - have lost £22,000 over the 3 years - only had one proper day off since May - not drawn one single penny in wages - and now hate every single second".  When it gets to that point, fair enough - I can understand.  But what a disappointment for the myriads of happy passengers, and what a reduction for the local economy of the area having lost the attraction. And what an awful lesson to the people who have broken the service - that stepping beyond legal protest works; who will they do it to next?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 15:11:43 »

Derek has loved it the previous years. This year because of all the problems from a few members of public he's lost that enjoyment.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 19:07:31 »

Press Release 7/9/17

Open Top Bus Service Withdrawn
Heritage open top bus service to cease 10th September 2017

The open top bus tour service operating between Beer, Colyton, Seaton, Lyme Regis and Charmouth is to be withdrawn from 10th September due to hostility from a small minority of local residents towards their staff. 

The service which has carried in excess of 20000 passengers this year, bringing a much needed boost to the local economy will cease operating after the end of service on Sunday 10th September. Owner Derek Gawn has taken the decision after he and his staff have been subject to tirades from a few local residents in the Seaton and Colyton area. All of the company’s part time workforce of 25 will be laid off.

Sadly a couple of residents of the flats overlooking The Underfleet bus and coach park in Seaton have taken to shouting at the drivers for parking our buses in the bus park, as they don’t want them outside their flat. All engines are shut down once parked. The bus park is provided by East Devon District Council for buses and coaches to use on a pay and display based ticketing arrangement. It isn’t for the bus drivers to be shouted at by residents who don’t welcome the facility. Not a particularly good welcome for the much needed tourists bringing their spending to the town. We no longer wish to subject our staff to such behavior from a small minority of locals.
We have also experienced people deliberately parking their cars badly on the approach to our depot at Colyton Station in an attempt to make access difficult. The poor parking would also obstruct emergency vehicles attempting to access the tramway, nearby houses and the adjacent business units. The same resident who is parking badly, has previously told Derek that he doesn’t believe there is a place for open top bus tours in this part of the country.
Owner Derek Gawn has said “I have finally made my mind up about the Mule, and the final nails were not mechanical issues or the weather. It’s the continual whining of a few in Seaton and Colyton. I do realise that 99% of people do support us, but I can no longer cope with the 1%.”

Many of the passengers using our service originate from the holiday parks around Lyme Regis and Charmouth using the service to enjoy the local scenery and hopping on and off all day visiting local attractions along the route as well as local shops, restaurants and bars. Our tickets allow unlimited all day travel, which unlike a traditional bus ticket means passengers can hop on and off along the full route for one flat fare.

We’d like to thank all of our supporters across the route, who have made us welcome and accept a very small minority has brought this decision to withdraw our service. We apologise to all of our supporters and passengers for the sudden withdrawal of service.
As a thank you after 1:50pm on Sunday 10th September, we will not be charging our standard fare, and simply ask for a minimum £5 donation per person which we will be donating to the RNLI. Hopefully we can see as many of our supporters as possible for the last few hours of service and helping a good cause at the same time.

The operator which has a fleet of heritage open top buses with an average age of 39 years  has operated since 2015 along the Jurassic Coast with no miles missed in 2017 for mechanical reasons, and despite being full open top buses have only cancelled 3 days due to bad weather. The exemplary service provided by the operator can be seen by their perfect 5 star review rating on Facebook, as well as a Trip Advisor score of 5.0 out of 5.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 19:53:52 »

A shame we cannot name and shame these vindictive spoilsports so we can all give them a taste of their own medicine.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 21:35:25 »

That would pour oil on the flames.

An eye for an eye and everyone ends up blind.

I'd rather hear their side of the story first.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 22:08:56 »

That would pour oil on the flames.

An eye for an eye and everyone ends up blind.

I'd rather hear their side of the story first.

The same couple complain regularly about the tram, the youth club to the point the youth club closed down. We don't know their names, they're an elderly couple who have a balcony overlooking the coach park.
I've learnt this evening they are well known whiners.

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 22:29:45 »

This is a sorry state of affairs. If a few people really have the power to close a tourist attraction and a youth facility then things are really at a low point in this part of the world.  As BNM has said, it would be interesting to hear the whole story: I wouldn't want to fall into sounding like the simplistic tabloid press.

Wherever the fault lies, the outcomes are beyond disappointing. Perhaps the local authority needs to find out what is happening in their area.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: