Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:32:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Jurassic Mule 2017  (Read 12528 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 23:12:26 »

I'm more interested in what AVMT have to say. They're reputation is being impugned.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 06:43:42 »

I'm more interested in what AVMT have to say. They're reputation is being impugned.

The text quoted earlier is very carefully worded ...
We have also received unpleasantness emails and messages from individuals claiming to represent AVMT. We should add they only claim to represent AVMT and we haven't been able to verify such.

And there is  (or to be pedantic was, when I looked) a great deal more on the subject on the public Facebook threads.

That is NOT saying that AVMT have generated the unpleasant emails, etc. - it rather suggests that someone has been using their name. It would be good to have been able to get verification officially from AVMT that the emails and messages were not their official view, and indeed that they wished to distance themselves from said comment.  However, the Jurassic Mule state "we haven't been able to verify such" which suggests they have tried, and failed (as yet?) to get that verification.

Within the thread, there was a question on fare structures said to have been officially raised.   It's perfectly allowed for such a question to be raised - I suspect that the Jurassic Mule with 20,000 journeys this year may have had a noticeable abstraction effect on regular scheduled services on the same flow.   However, the way commercial fares work, it's typically up to the individual operator as to what to charge, with freedom to compete being the all-powerful mantra. That may mean that the viability of a year round service is threatened by a summer only operator.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 08:14:13 »

Graham, we were more expensive on the leg of journey (Seaton/Beer) that is also covered by AVMT than them.
We are however cheaper than First and stagecoach on the respective legs they work.
It doesn't make sense why avmt would get upset by our fares being dearer than them.
We haven't done any extensive marketing at the AVMT end of the route, as AVMT had always been so friendly.
I have verified one of the posters on Facebook is an employee of AVMT but not if it's an official view. Another although unverified, knew AVMT had supplied us with a couple of bus parts for no charge over the summer. An outsider wouldn't know that. If they aren't official views assuming a social media policy is in place, the comments left publicly would likely be a disciplinary matter in most employers.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 14:22:52 »

Just seen this news item on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Dorset website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41199363
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 19:18:24 »

At one point this afternoon it was the 6th top story on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news front page!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 19:27:01 »

At one point this afternoon it was the 6th top story on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news front page!

I spotted it at no. 3 at one point.   Really touched the public ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 19:34:20 »

And covered by BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Spotlight this evening
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 19:58:44 »

I spotted it at no. 3 at one point.   Really touched the public ...

The comments and messages of support have been incredible. The interview on spotlight was heavily edited down. I suspect they'll feature the full version in the week.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 20:31:44 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093nprv

About 4 mins in. A much edited version of the interview

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 22:49:49 »

It has also made the online edition of the Daily Telegraph
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 15:34:03 »

Derek was on the Jeremy Vine show today. 1:09:04 onwards

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0940kzk

We've also been made aware of a lot of incorrect reporting by some of the tabloids, who've juiced the story up with some inaccuracies!
They've also reused photos without asking from our Facebook page.
Apparently Facebook T&Cs allow them to reuse any photos of postings to Facebook without permission of the contributor.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 20:24:26 »

I listened to the interview on the Jeremy Vine show this morning.

Very one sided, but that was because the alleged complainers didn't contribute, not even anonymously.

Derek Gawn was very composed telling his tale, although he was given an easy time by JV. For me, something just didn't sit right. Can't quite put my finger on it...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 16:17:02 »

Following some critical letters in the local press from two individuals who were the main protagonists, Derek has now had a full reply printed on page 32
http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?eid=7aaeef1d-9a9e-466e-9fc1-23d967b518a7

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 00:08:08 »

Hopefully these work, but they are files I have of the letter sent. I believe they have published unedited though.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 00:17:58 »

Thanks for posting, richwarwicker.

Such a sad ending to this story.

My very best wishes to Derek Gawn for a long and happy retirement.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: