Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 28 Mar 2024
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:34:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hayle-y day?  (Read 10988 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:13:29 »

With all the stuff we've had going on for the last five months, Lisa and I are looking at taking break ... asking for thoughts / opinions.   We are attracted (for some reason!) by Cornwall and want
* Train friendly
* Dog Friendly (inc beach)
* Wifi Connectivity
* Availability in early July
* Prefer open spaces to town centre

Taking a look at Hayle ... thoughts, anyone - any other ideas?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:47:08 »

Really depends on your budget....I don't think you'll find many dog-friendly beaches in summer though
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:44 »

Hayle's quite a good choice - Gwithian Towans, which is the beach nearest to Hayle, has a dog-friendly section that is open all year round, otherwise the other beaches are restricted between 8am and 7pm.

Also, Hayle is quite a good base from which to explore as there are a few destinations in all directions within relatively easy reach, i.e. St Ives, Lands End, Penzance, Lizard, St Agnes, Isles of Scilly, etc.

But most important of all, some of the county's best pasty shops are in Hayle! Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:30 »

That's looking good thanks ... I also picked up

https://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/north-coast/mexico-towans.htm

having just searched ... and I'm sure Billy would love to be on the beach at 6 a.m. on the hour-limited ones!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:58 »

Plenty of dog friendly beaches in Cornwall year round, but you might struggle with accommodation! We recently booked a week in early September and there wasn't much available in the way of cottages.

Given (I think) you rescued your dogs, you might fancy a look at these cottages http://www.graceholidaycottages.co.uk/ - they sometimes have late availability at discounted rates & 10% of their rates goes to support Many Tears Animal Rescue http://www.manytearsrescue.org/. Nothing in Cornwall, but they do have a cottage in Dorset and one on the Yorkshire coast.

Also try http://www.classic.co.uk/ for Cornwall (and wider SW) - you can filter on dog friendly cottages and they always state if the garden is enclosed - we've used them 3 times now and the standard of the accommodation has been very very high. We stayed just up the road from Penzance last year and found that to be a great location for exploring the furthest reaches of Cornwall and had no issue with finding dog friendly beaches - some of the information online was a bit iffy so I'd refer to the council website for definitive info on dog access (or ask me for recommendations if you wish!)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:54:20 »

Plenty of dog friendly beaches in Cornwall year round, but you might struggle with accommodation! We recently booked a week in early September and there wasn't much available in the way of cottages.

Given (I think) you rescued your dogs, you might fancy a look at these cottages http://www.graceholidaycottages.co.uk/ - they sometimes have late availability at discounted rates & 10% of their rates goes to support Many Tears Animal Rescue http://www.manytearsrescue.org/. Nothing in Cornwall, but they do have a cottage in Dorset and one on the Yorkshire coast.

Also try http://www.classic.co.uk/ for Cornwall (and wider SW) - you can filter on dog friendly cottages and they always state if the garden is enclosed - we've used them 3 times now and the standard of the accommodation has been very very high. We stayed just up the road from Penzance last year and found that to be a great location for exploring the furthest reaches of Cornwall and had no issue with finding dog friendly beaches - some of the information online was a bit iffy so I'd refer to the council website for definitive info on dog access (or ask me for recommendations if you wish!)

Wow ... thanks for that ... knowing the availability issues I've rushed around and actually found something using the suggestions - in Hayle - that meets the criteria.   Tell you more about it later ...

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 12:21:11 »

Marion and I have just returned from a week in St Just in Penwith. There are some great coastal walks in the area. It has an hourly bus service from Penzance. Also lots of industrial remains along those walks. I can thoroughly recommend the walk from Geevor, through Levant, Botallack and the Kenidjack valley to St Just. The bus calls at/near the first three.
Most pubs in the area are dog friendly and the Gurnard's Head, served by the St Just to Zennor Community Bus, provides excellent food.

You should have a great time but beware of the Cornish fret and wind!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 18:53:03 »

I'm spending at least 5 days a month in Hayle at the moment, to keep the father in laws insurance happy as he's gone to care home, if you want anything scouting out let me know.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 20:18:36 »

I'm spending at least 5 days a month in Hayle at the moment, to keep the father in laws insurance happy as he's gone to care home, if you want anything scouting out let me know.

That's lovely thanks ... I may well invite you to help us scout out the Bluff Inn one evening  Grin

Not many weeks away (before the school holidays) ... very different to today's adventure which I'll post when I get home!

Andy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 17:45:04 »

If you don't know it already (or even if you do), while you're in Hayle, why not whip up to Camborne on the train and take a bus to Helston. Alight at Crowntown and take a walk to Prospidnick for a trip on the Helston railway to Truthall Halt, mainland Britain's most southerly station as of 2017. The railway is open on Thursdays and Sundays.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 20:41:02 »

Thanks for your additional suggestion, Andy.  Smiley

And, to avoid labouring the point, I won't even post my favourite link here:

If you don't know it already (or even if you do), while you're in Hayle, why not whip up to Camborne on the train ... The railway is open on Thursdays and Sundays.

But not on Wednesdays.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:40:24 »

Sorry, link not working Sad

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 18:14:30 »

Erm, no, it won't, GBM.  Tongue

That was rather the point of my post: I have previously posted at least two, probably three, links in other topics to that particular youtube clip of Cornish comedian Jethro's 'this train don't stop Camborne Wednesdays' story.  I really didn't want to bore my readers by doing so yet againGrin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 06:53:38 »

Erm, no, it won't, GBM.  Tongue

That was rather the point of my post: I have previously posted at least two, probably three, links in other topics to that particular youtube clip of Cornish comedian Jethro's 'this train don't stop Camborne Wednesdays' story.  I really didn't want to bore my readers by doing so yet againGrin

I have the attention span a goldfish would be proud to have Roll Eyes Where am I!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 11:04:59 »

Thanks for your additional suggestion, Andy.  Smiley

If you don't know it already (or even if you do), while you're in Hayle, why not whip up to Camborne on the train ... The railway is open on Thursdays and Sundays.

But not on Wednesdays.  Lips sealed

"Great"(!!) minds and all that - Jethro's joke was going through my mind as I wrote, Chris. :-)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: