I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:27:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutdown 125's to operate Penzance to Plymouth clockface service  (Read 110155 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2018, 07:34:15 »

I have the perfect solution..................... why not create an 8-coach train, complete with buffet, 1st Class and Standard Class, and put a diesel with a single cab at each end to save having to run around the train.  I'm struggling for a name for it though.............. Ah, I have it...... "The InterCity High Speed Train"

Hmmmm ... I suppose that might do as a stop-gap solution for a few years while the "A" team works out what's really needed for the future  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:42 »

Was chatting to someone this evening who had been very impressed with the 2 + 4 HST (High Speed Train), and was more so impressed when he learnt that there were more of them in the pipeline.

Once I had highlighted their primary role, this chap said that GWR (Great Western Railway) had missed a trick by not using some of the space for a micro buffet for the commuters of Devon and Cornwall.

He has a point, could become quite sociable for regular communters.....

It would also have been nice to add a composite coach K to add first class for commuters traveling on a connected service.

I have the perfect solution..................... why not create an 8-coach train, complete with buffet, 1st Class and Standard Class, and put a diesel with a single cab at each end to save having to run around the train.  I'm struggling for a name for it though.............. Ah, I have it...... "The InterCity High Speed Train"

.......and use it to pootle between Plymouth & Penzance, at a "High Speed" of 40 mph stopping every 10 minutes?
ACE

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2018, 09:27:07 »

Had a short trip on the GTi set from Penzance to Hayle yesterday, they are certainly quick off the mark, and nicely refurbished, shame there was pasty crumbs all over the place...something for GWR (Great Western Railway) to address (cleanliness)??

Western Region Rocker
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2018, 10:03:18 »

Was chatting to someone this evening who had been very impressed with the 2 + 4 HST (High Speed Train), and was more so impressed when he learnt that there were more of them in the pipeline.

Once I had highlighted their primary role, this chap said that GWR (Great Western Railway) had missed a trick by not using some of the space for a micro buffet for the commuters of Devon and Cornwall.

He has a point, could become quite sociable for regular communters.....

Indeed, but provision of a buffet would result in unfortunate comparisons between the 40 year old HSTs and the brand new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) now in service.
"old trains still have buffets but new ones don't"
"local passengers still allowed a buffet, but longer distance customers denied this"

However much a buffet would be welcomed, it would look a bit daft to provide this on a local service but not on long distance trains.
A lot of effort has been put into trying to convince us that buffets are no longer needed. Providing one would be an admission of defeat.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:48 »

It would also have been nice to add a composite coach K to add first class for commuters traveling on a connected service.

I agree, but current policy seems  to be to reduce first class provision, and when possible withdraw it.
Providing first class on a route that has not recently had first class would be regarded as a backwards step.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2018, 10:10:06 »

Providing first class on a route that has not recently had first class would be regarded as a backwards step.
Sad but true.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2018, 10:54:22 »

Sad but true.
….mmm.  Plenty of first class on other trains that use that route.  Mostly fairly empty at most times of the day Roll Eyes
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 10, 2018, 13:04:37 »

shame there was pasty crumbs all over the place...something for GWR (Great Western Railway) to address (cleanliness)??

Better pasty crumbs than dog doodoo
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2018, 18:50:11 »

shame there was pasty crumbs all over the place...something for GWR (Great Western Railway) to address (cleanliness)??

Better pasty crumbs than dog doodoo

“If you see something that doesn’t look right..
or
Please do not leave your pasty unattended”
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 04, 2018, 18:16:31 »

And the second one is on delivery, GW02. Sadly there are no fully fitted kitchens on them, but it seems to come in half, sounds very familiar  Wink

http://www.petertandy.co.uk/47812_5V84_Hat_031118

Photo credit to owner.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2019, 21:25:42 »

And the second one is on delivery, GW02. ...

I see pictures of no. 3 headed south today.  Have GW02 and GW03 got disabled loos / GW01 been retrofitted?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2019, 21:41:41 »

As well as 'Chalets' [I refuse to use the other C***** description for the 2+4 sets], I understand that GWR (Great Western Railway) also intend to run several 'Classic' sets - i.e. 2+4 slam-door sets
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2019, 21:51:16 »

As well as 'Chalets' [I refuse to use the other C***** description for the 2+4 sets], I understand that GWR (Great Western Railway) also intend to run several 'Classic' sets - i.e. 2+4 slam-door sets

That must be a change ...but as there were supposed to be a darned site more than 3 around by now, I guess they'll need to for the half hourly Cornwall service in 3 months.  Aren't there classics running in Scotland too, with a wide publicity campaign telling people how to open doors  Grin

CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2019, 23:40:10 »

All I know is that GW02 is still on crew training at St Philips.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2019, 08:21:00 »

According to information elsewhere GW03 moved from Doncaster to Bristol SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) last Saturday (23/02/2019).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  

Jump to: