Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:17:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Other ways NOT to travel  (Read 3858 times)
trainer

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2017, 09:32:19 »

This week Junction 19 of the M5 has been exceptionally (even by pretty low standards) crazy.  For those not in the area this is the Junction nearest to Portishead in North Somerset.  I live in Clevedon and have not been as badly affected as the good burghers of P'head but on Wednesday it took me one-and-a-half hours to get back home from Stoke Bishop by car (14 miles) 45 minutes of which was spent queuing on the motorway.  This morning having planned a day out with another member of this esteemed forum I discover that Portishead is once again besieged because of an accident on the main road out of the town towards the M5 and Bristol. This kind of event often has a knock-on effect over the wider area and is all to common in the summer months.

Buses are of course all caught up in this congestion so are no alternative.  I wonder how much this is costing the economy around here and how much money, time and sanity would be saved in the long run if they just spent some serious money now on getting the fairly straightforward rail link to this town sorted. At least there would be an alternative mode for escape.

I believe this is what is called a rant. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:41:06 by trainer » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:59 »

The problem is that on the southbound exit there is only one lane for Portishead at the roundabout, the other two being for the services and the A369. The Highways Agency has talked for a couple of years about remodelling this to give two exits to Portishead, but it keeps getting kicked into the long grass. Thus in the evening rush hour the Portishead traffic queues back over the bridge, and of course then we get the inevitable queue jumpers who go slowly down lane 2 so they can cut in at the last minute. Thus the whole motorway eventually grinds to a halt.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:50:27 »

As the other member of this esteemed forum, that trainer was referring to, I should  add he was doing me a huge favour by giving me a lift to and from Stoke Bishop, which would normally take about 20 minutes each way. To do it by bus,would involve catching 2 or 3 different buses going into Bristol city centre and I was allowing 2-3 hours to do it, given the vagaries of First bus. When he heard this , he very kindly offered to take me and bring me back, for which I was most grateful.
I couldn't help but  think that it was entirely appropriate, that his 'rant' above, was his 'nine-eleven' post!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:38:02 »

On Monday around noon the northbound M5 was doing around 5-10mph from Taunton services to beyond J24 where I left the motorway.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:00:27 »

On Monday around noon the northbound M5 was doing around 5-10mph from Taunton services to beyond J24 where I left the motorway.
That's normal on the Monday of a bank holiday weekend, with everyone returning home though.  I think there's a general acceptance that on peak holiday days the motorway is going to be like that, and the cost of upgrading would be enormous. The Jn 19 problem is every weekday evening, and a relatively small cost would go a long way to fixing it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 19:55:31 »

... because of an accident on the main road out of the town towards the M5 and Bristol. This kind of event often has a knock-on effect over the wider area ...

Your commendably restrained rant on that incident is quite understandable, trainer.

And it's not just 'accidents' on the road approaching that M5 Junction 19 roundabout that cause delays.

Last summer, driving my delivery van from Portishead into Bristol on a Tuesday evening in the rush hour, I noted a couple of cars, stationary, in lane four at the traffic lights up ahead.  No, not a collision, but the front car having run out of fuel, had brought other things to somewhat of a stop.  Roll Eyes

Having assessed the situation, I took the rather pragmatic approach of positioning my large and highly visible Mercedes Sprinter van in the middle of lane four, with sidelights and hazard warning lights activated, while I alighted in my high-viz and assisted the driver of the second car in pushing the immobilised car onto the offside verge.  Within a couple of minutes, we had at least removed the obstruction and enabled rush-hour traffic to move again onto the roundabout.  Roll Eyes

And, to her credit, the driver of that marooned car did visit our Portishead branch the following day to offer thanks 'to her anonymous rescuer'. Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 19:58:21 »

That's normal on the Monday of a bank holiday weekend, with everyone returning home though.  I think there's a general acceptance that on peak holiday days the motorway is going to be like that, and the cost of upgrading would be enormous. The Jn 19 problem is every weekday evening, and a relatively small cost would go a long way to fixing it.

Today the northbound from J24 where I joined southbound was queuing beyond J28! Southbound was moving at acceptable 60mph which is quick enough (and does the fuel economy good!)

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 20:17:06 »

... because of an accident on the main road out of the town towards the M5 and Bristol. This kind of event often has a knock-on effect over the wider area ...

Your commendably restrained rant on that incident is quite understandable, trainer.

And it's not just 'accidents' on the road approaching that M5 Junction 19 roundabout that cause delays.

Last summer, driving my delivery van from Portishead into Bristol on a Tuesday evening in the rush hour, I noted a couple of cars, stationary, in lane four at the traffic lights up ahead.  No, not a collision, but the front car having run out of fuel, had brought other things to somewhat of a stop.  Roll Eyes

Having assessed the situation, I took the rather pragmatic approach of positioning my large and highly visible Mercedes Sprinter van in the middle of lane four, with sidelights and hazard warning lights activated, while I alighted in my high-viz and assisted the driver of the second car in pushing the immobilised car onto the offside verge.  Within a couple of minutes, we had at least removed the obstruction and enabled rush-hour traffic to move again onto the roundabout.  Roll Eyes

And, to her credit, the driver of that marooned car did visit our Portishead branch the following day to offer thanks 'to her anonymous rescuer'. Wink Cheesy Grin

That's a poor show Chris.  I'd have thought at least you would have got her number...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 20:20:20 »

I'll reply to you by PM ...  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: