09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:42 Paignton to Exmouth
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 12:13:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] "Mayflower"
[94] You see all sorts on the bus.
[67] Where have I been?
[56] Death of another bus station?
[32] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[26] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heritage railways and trains keep Britain's golden age of steam alive  (Read 3841 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: June 03, 2017, 21:50:18 »

From the Guardian:

Heritage railways and trains keep Britain's golden age of steam alive

Steam trains are expensive to operate but heritage railways are seeing a revival following the refurbishment of the Flying Scotsman

Steam locomotive LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) Class A3 4472, commonly known as the Flying Scotsman, at Hereford railway station. Photograph: Jim Wood/Barcroft Images

Eight years before British Rail withdrew steam trains from regular service in 1968, the Bluebell railway opened as one of Britain’s first heritage lines, running between East Grinstead and Sheffield Park in Sussex. The popularity of steam trains has since led to many more such lines, dedicated museums and the reappearance of steam trains on what are now Network Rail’s tracks.

Perhaps the most famous steam locomotive, the Flying Scotsman, was retired by British Rail in 1963 – only to start a new career in heritage. Following a £4.2m refurbishment, its recent tour of Britain included a one-week visit to the Bluebell in April, where on its final day it was crewed by three sisters, Liz, Rebecca and Ruth Groome.

The Groomes, including their father Clive, are among 700 volunteers who keep the line going, with around 35% working regularly in jobs including ticket sellers, train drivers, guards, signal operators, restoration workers and the board of directors. It also has 63 paid staff.

Even with voluntary staff, the economics of steam are challenging. The railway brings in about £4m a year in ticket sales, retail and catering and private hire. For £650 you can spend a day as a train driver, and railway scenes for Downton Abbey were filmed at the Bluebell’s Horsted Keynes station. But this barely covers running costs, including £169,000 annually for coal. Capital expenditure is met by donations and grants from local councils, government and lottery funding.

The Groome sisters volunteer to keep the Bluebell railway running. Photograph: Mike Hopps/Mikehopps.com

In some respects, steam trains are resilient and self-contained. As trains carry their own coal, used to boil water into steam with its expansion turned into motion, they do not need overhead lines or third rails like electric trains. Their weight also means they are more likely to cope with heavy leaf or snow falls.

However, the infrastructure to provide water and coal no longer exists on the main rail network, trains may not fit bridges or platforms and most are only allowed to run at 75mph on the main network, which blocks fast lines. Operating them from open cabs is a tough job, especially in winter – even if some people will pay to do it – and parts are no longer produced. This makes it vital that heritage railways attract younger volunteers, according to Bluebell railway communications director Roger Garman.

Garman adds that there are no operational benefits to steam trains. But he says: “In terms of passenger numbers and revenue, that’s a different stick. People will pay money, a premium, to ride behind an iconic steam locomotive.”

The Flying Scotsman could only get to Sussex thanks to the rejoining of the Bluebell line to the national network at East Grinstead in 2013. Previously, “it really was going from nowhere to nowhere,” Garman says, with most passengers driving along its route to its southern base at Sheffield Park. Now, visitors can catch a train from London to East Grinstead, take a steam train to Sheffield Park, visit the nearby National Trust gardens, and travel back in a day. Revenues rose from £3m to £4m for the year after East Grinstead’s opening.

Static steam trains can also benefit an area. The Steam museum of the Great Western Railway in Swindon attracts about 150,000 people each year to see eight GWR (Great Western Railway) locomotives, including the Swindon-built King George V, rolling stock and exhibitions. It has a turnover of about £1.5m and aims to pay for itself as an attraction. It also serves as a conference centre, holding railway-themed events as well as beer festivals and film and TV event Comic Con.

The museum aims to represent Swindon’s culture of engineering and innovation, according to income-generation manager Ian Surtees. Swindon was a village of 2,000 people before the GWR built its workshops there and its employers now include Honda, BMW and high-tech companies, which took advantage of that engineering legacy.

Surtees says that journeys on the renovated Flying Scotsman are generating more interest in the golden age of steam: “People love that era. It smells great, it looks great.” While steam trains may have had their day in mass transportation, they can still bring benefits to places that celebrate their heritage.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 00:13:32 »

The definite article once again when writing of the given name of 60103. Would these journalists write about the Tornado, the Sir Ken Park, the Braunton? Why is it done in this article with Flying Scotsman but not King George V?

Arrrgggghhhh.  Roll Eyes Angry Roll Eyes Angry

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 00:47:26 »

Well, it was in the Guardian.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:35:03 »

The definite article once again when writing of the given name of 60103. Would these journalists write about the Tornado, the Sir Ken Park, the Braunton? Why is it done in this article with Flying Scotsman but not King George V?

..............just think, one day people may flock alongside the railway to take pictures as "The Bignosemac" roars by!  Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:53:42 »

This is one of those "areas of linguistic uncertainty". It's not just locomotives' names - we say "the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)", but not "the ITV". (Except in Scotland (and maybe elsewhere) you will hear "the ITV", and when I lived in Bo'ness a lot of my neighbours worked "at the BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page)" in Grangemouth.) And the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) now styles itself just "ORR", but on this forum you'll find both - and I don't see either as obviously incorrect.

You'd expect the naming of railway engines to follow the pattern of something familiar when it was first done, and ships' naming is the obvious example. But there we almost always use "the", even when the resulting phrase could never be like that outside a name. For example, "the Queen Mary", "the Grampian", "the Harlech Castle", etc.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 10:03:03 »

This is one of those "areas of linguistic uncertainty". It's not just locomotives' names - we say "the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)", but not "the ITV". (Except in Scotland (and maybe elsewhere) you will hear "the ITV", and when I lived in Bo'ness a lot of my neighbours worked "at the BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page)" in Grangemouth.) And the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) now styles itself just "ORR", but on this forum you'll find both - and I don't see either as obviously incorrect.

You'd expect the naming of railway engines to follow the pattern of something familiar when it was first done, and ships' naming is the obvious example. But there we almost always use "the", even when the resulting phrase could never be like that outside a name. For example, "the Queen Mary", "the Grampian", "the Harlech Castle", etc.

As well as the use of the definite article, the use of female pronouns for locomotives with male names is another of my pet hates. I remember one national newspaper (sadly I do not have the article at hand to quote) reporting on the anniversary of Winston Churchill's death. It included a picture of the funeral train alside the quote "The Winston Churchill resplendent as she pulled the funeral train".

I know that it is the accepted thing to refer to locomotives, aircraft, ships, etc in the female gender, but when given male names, it just doesn't sound right!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:22:34 »

Another example would be Uxbridge Road, Oxford Street then "The" Bath Road

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 11:26:37 »

Another example would be Uxbridge Road, Oxford Street then "The" Bath Road

The Bath Road has an interesting history AIUI (as I understand it) - originating from "The road to Bath [from London]" so it's a descriptive name as well as (nowadays) the actual road name.

Similarly, "The National Rail Measurement train", "The Yellow train" or "The replica A1 locomotive" - but not "The Tornado" ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:32:31 »

As well as the use of the definite article, the use of female pronouns for locomotives with male names is another of my pet hates. I remember one national newspaper (sadly I do not have the article at hand to quote) reporting on the anniversary of Winston Churchill's death. It included a picture of the funeral train alside the quote "The Winston Churchill resplendent as she pulled the funeral train".

I know that it is the accepted thing to refer to locomotives, aircraft, ships, etc in the female gender, but when given male names, it just doesn't sound right!
I'm with you on that, female pronouns are fine for nameless locos, locos named after women etc. but something like 'Flying Scotsman' or 'King Edward I' really ought to be refered to using male pronouns.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 11:41:06 »

We all have our pet peeves... see how some cub journos struggle when a loco has no name, just a number: they still feel the need for a definitive article, so we get nonsenses such as 'The 45110'...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: