21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:11:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrorist attack near London bridge station.  (Read 5136 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2017, 09:30:51 »

Late yesterday evening.
Latest reports state 6 dead and dozens wounded, some seriously. Some victims deliberately run over, others stabbed.
Attackers shot dead by police.

Very sad.

Do not know what if any impact on LUL (London Underground Ltd) and mainline trains, the attack looks to have been concentrated around Borough market not the station itself.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:37:49 »

Update to say death toll now confirmed as 7. Cry

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 14:52:38 »

On this occasion, it seems to be clear of railway infrastructure though many (all?) services on the central side are showing "cancelled - security alert" on real time trains as I write.  London Bridge has a number of bus routes passing over it - all no doubt subject to cancellation and diversion, though Sunday's far and away the quietest day of the week in The City so effect won't be as much as it would have been during the week.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 15:25:33 »

I am rather glad that I moved from London.

Had I still been in London, the chance that I would have been a victim is in fact vanishingly small, of the order of one in a million in fact. Though I did visit both the "barrow boy and banker" and "the wheatsheaf" fairly regularly when I lived in London.
Still glad I am not there, consider the scale of disruption and the likely delays to public transport tomorrow, and ongoing.

I am sure that the bereaved and injured are in our thoughts.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 16:11:54 »

London Bridge, roads around & the station all shut for the whole day today & National Rail saying the station closure may go on into tomorrow unfortunately.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 19:30:37 »

London Bridge, roads around & the station all shut for the whole day today & National Rail saying the station closure may go on into tomorrow unfortunately.

Might be challenging for me to get to work ................ office is just opposite London Bridge Station Tooley St side

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 20:04:19 »

Might I make a suggestion, to anyone thinking of leaving flowers, candles, cards, or the like at the scene of the attack.

Please re-consider, such displays do little if any good and are an appreciable waste of resources, instead perhaps consider making a cash donation to the Red Cross who are a non-political, non-partisan charity who offer direct help to those bereaved, displaced, injured and otherwise impacted by this and other events.

£10 spent on probably imported flowers goes largely on fuel for airfreight and profit for florists. Public money is then spent on dumping most of it into landfill.

£10 given to the Red Cross can help in providing counselling for those who have lost a loved one, or help with transport to/from hospital for those without money to pay for this, or a bed for the night for those displaced by evacuation.

(I have no direct connection with the red cross, but do support them, Other charities exist.)

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 20:07:53 »

The Mayor of London has invited Londoners to a vigil at the park by his office tomorrow at 6pm. Bring flowers, he said in an email
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 20:12:39 »

Might I make a suggestion, to anyone thinking of leaving flowers, candles, cards, or the like at the scene of the attack.

Please re-consider, such displays do little if any good and are an appreciable waste of resources, instead perhaps consider making a cash donation to the Red Cross who are a non-political, non-partisan charity who offer direct help to those bereaved, displaced, injured and otherwise impacted by this and other events.

There is a logic to your suggestion - but there are exceptional times that the heart, and the solice it brings to the person who places the flowers too, can rule the head.  By all means ask people to reconsider ... but the not to be embarrassed if having reconsidered they still want to place flowers ... and of course, they could make a donation or provide help in other ways too - the options are not mutually exclusive. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 20:27:46 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 22:36:04 »

It was certainly a lot quitter in the London Bridge area today, the station was open except the Borough High St exit of the Underground.  Basically Borough Market and the surrounding roads were cordoned off by the Police

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 12:02:57 »

A body has just been recovered from the Thames, suspected to be the body of a French man missing since the attack. Formal identification is awaited. Cry
Source is BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 18:39:45 »

The steel crash barriers have been installed over London Bridge, both sides.  It the temporary type used in motor way worksites; also the big lozenge shaped bollards have been placed on the pavements.

Whilst all this makes it safe for pedestrians, the crash barriers sits in the road gutter which means busses cannot stay in the bus lane so have to straddle the next lane, slows the traffic down (no bad thing really)

I have not crossed other bridges recently but I am guessing they have had the same treatment. 

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 20:56:01 »

The steel crash barriers have been installed over London Bridge, both sides.  It the temporary type used in motor way worksites; also the big lozenge shaped bollards have been placed on the pavements.

Whilst all this makes it safe for pedestrians, the crash barriers sits in the road gutter which means busses cannot stay in the bus lane so have to straddle the next lane, slows the traffic down (no bad thing really)

I have not crossed other bridges recently but I am guessing they have had the same treatment. 

I caught buses over Waterloo Bridge today and can confirm that steel crash barriers were also in place, mostly on the cycle paths.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: