I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:15:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lights on Bikes on Trains  (Read 11441 times)
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2017, 12:13:16 »

A great many years ago, I was given a <proper> telling-off by a train guard.

Shenfield station, 5pm or so, winter; (therefore it was dark).  I was travelling from Chelmsford to Southend, so changing trains there.  I ran along the platform to find the guard's van (remember them?) and my dynamo-powered light lit up.

The guard helped me put the bike on board, then ding-dinged the driver to start the train, then proceeded to tear me a new one.  Why?  My bike's front light had looked, to him, like the station staff's Bardic lamp (white for dispatching a train), and he'd nearly started the train without it being properly dispatched.

RED bike lights are similarly potentially confusing - a red hand-lamp is sometimes placed on the platform edge as a "stop here" instruction where the other end of the platform has to be kept clear for an arrival from the other direction.

Ever since, I've been really careful to ensure my lights are switched OFF when on a platform.  My Brompton's rear light has a standby capacitor that keeps it lit for 10-15 minutes after the hub dynamo stops turning, so I've fitted a "quench" button to drain the capacitor if I'm about to go on a train.

The "Cycling By Train" leaflet over the years used to ask that cycles had their lights switched off, weren't locked to anything in the guard's van, were labelled with name and destination, etc.  None of these now appear in the current leaflet.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 13:31:59 »

Not to that extent, no. I have been politely (but quite firmly) told to turn bike lights off on a platform, also many years ago. I wasn't aware at the time it wasn't allowed. This would have been late 1980s.

It's a particular problem with dynamo lights, obviously, as many dynamo rear lights don't have a way of turning off the standlight. I think most fronts do. I presume, as most such lights are German or Dutch products (B&M, Spanninga, etc), that railways in those countries don't have a similar rule.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 18:04:56 »

I have witnessed a train stop short of a dark station platform due to some numpty carrying his bike on his shoulder which with the red light on from a distance looked like someone waving a red light in an attempt to stop the train.....especially when said numpty was walking on the edge of the platform with bike over the edge of the platform

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 18:26:35 »

I have witnessed a train stop short of a dark station platform due to some numpty carrying his bike on his shoulder which with the red light on from a distance looked like someone waving a red light in an attempt to stop the train.....especially when said numpty was walking on the edge of the platform with bike over the edge of the platform

Probably two wrongs making a right.  Had the train carried on, wasn't there a risk of having squashed numpty?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 15:06:45 »

Presumably not, if he was actually on the platform. I do think these rules should be better publicised along with the reasons for them and the possible results (such as a train setting off before it's ready) from ignoring or breaking them.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 13:00:46 »

Yes, it's ignorance rather than malice. I'm sure it simply wouldn't occur to 90% of people that it would cause a problem.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 14:17:38 »

I've been following the railway industry for 40 years and I had never heard of it, so I would agree that if it is a safety issue then it needs to be better publicised.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 15:04:21 »

Red lights can occasionally still be a problem, but at least that's fail-safe.  A red light may cause a train to stop by mistake, but far more potentially serious is a train departing by mistake.  That's much less of an issue now that dispatcher's use proper dispatch batons rather than the old Bardic style lamps with bulbs that looked just like cycle lights.  It was not uncommon in previous decades for a white light to signal that the train could depart, whereas it's now almost universally a green light - which of course you're unlikely to find on a bike.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 21:27:09 »

To me, it is common sense that no members of the public should show any light on a platform except for

1) A steady white light directed slightly downwards when required to facilitate safe movement at a platform with no lighting or inadequate or defective lighting.

2) In case of serious emergency only, a red light or a light of any colour waved about, to attempt to stop the train in the event of accident or obstruction.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 22:32:37 »

Red lights can occasionally still be a problem, but at least that's fail-safe.  A red light may cause a train to stop by mistake, but far more potentially serious is a train departing by mistake.  That's much less of an issue now that dispatcher's use proper dispatch batons rather than the old Bardic style lamps with bulbs that looked just like cycle lights.  It was not uncommon in previous decades for a white light to signal that the train could depart, whereas it's now almost universally a green light - which of course you're unlikely to find on a bike.

Must admit I've seen a green flag to dispatch a train but only ever a white light. When did the change to green come in?
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 22:33:48 »

A great many years ago, I was given a <proper> telling-off by a train guard.

Shenfield station, 5pm or so, winter; (therefore it was dark).  I was travelling from Chelmsford to Southend, so changing trains there.  I ran along the platform to find the guard's van (remember them?) and my dynamo-powered light lit up.

The guard helped me put the bike on board, then ding-dinged the driver to start the train, then proceeded to tear me a new one.  Why?  My bike's front light had looked, to him, like the station staff's Bardic lamp (white for dispatching a train), and he'd nearly started the train without it being properly dispatched.

RED bike lights are similarly potentially confusing - a red hand-lamp is sometimes placed on the platform edge as a "stop here" instruction where the other end of the platform has to be kept clear for an arrival from the other direction.

Ever since, I've been really careful to ensure my lights are switched OFF when on a platform.  My Brompton's rear light has a standby capacitor that keeps it lit for 10-15 minutes after the hub dynamo stops turning, so I've fitted a "quench" button to drain the capacitor if I'm about to go on a train.

The "Cycling By Train" leaflet over the years used to ask that cycles had their lights switched off, weren't locked to anything in the guard's van, were labelled with name and destination, etc.  None of these now appear in the current leaflet.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Yes, I've had similar and have seen other cyclists also encountering it. The problem is with the Standlight I have on my Brompton, which is essential for cycling in city traffic (it ensures I have a light on while stationary, such as at traffic lights). The rear light remains on for 3-4 minutes, slowly fading. I'm not aware on any way to 'quench' it.

When approaching a station now I turn off my lights as soon as I possibly can, but it does often mean that my rear light is still showing when I get to a platform. I try to keep the light pointing in a way which shouldn't cause a problem, but when moving a bike around on a busy platform, that isn't always easy.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 05:15:57 »

To me, it is common sense that no members of the public should show any light on a platform except for

1) A steady white light directed slightly downwards when required to facilitate safe movement at a platform with no lighting or inadequate or defective lighting.

2) In case of serious emergency only, a red light or a light of any colour waved about, to attempt to stop the train in the event of accident or obstruction.

There's a big difference between a regular train user well versed in railway operations, and your average member of the public.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 05:27:11 »

Must admit I've seen a green flag to dispatch a train but only ever a white light. When did the change to green come in?

Fairly recently, and I may have exaggerated with the phrase 'almost universal'.  However this is the relevant extract from the GWR (Great Western Railway) DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) drivers dispatch instructions:

'When the member of dispatch staff is satisfied that it is safe for the train to start and if the platform starting signal is still displaying a proceed aspect they will operate the RA indicator. When no RA indicator is provided the person in charge of the platform will give the ready to start signal using a green flag or light.  A white light must not be taken as the ready to start signal and a dispatch baton may only be used if it is fitted with an operative green light.'

So, in other words, white light to shut doors and green light to depart.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 10:01:53 »

So, in other words, white light to shut doors and green light to depart.

As a non-member of staff I have always thought it a little odd that the signal for "station duties complete" and "train safety check complete" were the same.  Makes more sense to me to have different ones.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 11:55:58 »

This implies that a white light is only a problem on staffed stations (unless it is shaken around in an "emergency stop" manner).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: