Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:12:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancellations 24/6  (Read 9008 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2017, 05:54:50 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Graham!

Cancellations to services between Swindon and Melksham
Due to a shortage of train crew between Swindon and Melksham fewer trains are able to run.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is expected until 11:00 24/06.
Customer Advice
several journeys between Westbury and Swindon have been cancelled due to staff shortages, Customers are to circulate via Bath Spa for stations except Melksham where road replacement transport will be in operation in both directions. Customers can use Local bus X34 Faresaver bus between Trowbridge and Chippenham via Melksham. During this disruption, if you wish to use local buses as an alternative means of transport and the local bus is not accepting First Great Western tickets, please keep the bus ticket and send it, together with your rail ticket, to us for a refund.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 06:11:40 »

And no other services affected from Westbury as far as I can tell.  Angry
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 06:32:09 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Graham!

Alas ... you are not the bearer of bad news (at least not the first bearer of it!).   I am just back from Melksham Station where I have added a notice to the community rail board to encourage passengers (or wannabe passengers) to call from the information point to alert staff they need transport.

Pretty depressing, quite frankly.  Third day in a row with cancellations ... reasons differ, but it makes it hard to stand up and say "isn't this a sensible way to travel?".   Help point at station is at least telling people why the train is cancelled, but still not going the extra mile to tell them what to do / what the alternative provided will be.  GWRHelp when asked what to do answers different questions - someone practising to be a politician there ...

Tells you which service is regarded as lowest of the low, doesn't it?   I hate to pick on others - but it's an interesting decision to run nothing for 4 hours from Swindon to Westbury, when taking a diagram off a certain other line would add no more than a half hour wait ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 06:36:56 »

I see there is agreement with Faresaver buses.  Has that happened before?  It's usually been First or Stagecoach.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:04:45 »

I see there is agreement with Faresaver buses.  Has that happened before?  It's usually been First or Stagecoach.

The relationship between Faresaver and First isn't as hostile as it used to be, but I suspect there is no agreement in place.  Yes, you can use the x34 - pay and First will refund your fare.  It does NOT say that the x34 is accepting rail tickets - it stops short of that!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 07:12:15 »

There are now ...

15:22 Swindon to Warminster due 16:19
15:22 Swindon to Warminster due 16:19 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Dilton Marsh and Warminster.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

16:28 Warminster to Gloucester due 18:33
16:28 Warminster to Gloucester due 18:33 will be started from Westbury.
It will no longer call at Warminster and Dilton Marsh.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

Oh - silly me ...that's a TransWilts train too!

Provided that a Cardiff - Portsmouth makes a stop if required at Dilton Marsh, that's the sort of sensible change that doesn't kill people's whole journeys!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 08:25:56 »

To @GWRHelp

How am I (Community Rail Officer) supposed to promote TransWIlts with first southbound train at 12:36?

Replying to @transwilts

1/2 Hello. Sorry for the reduced service. I understand this is disappointing but best to just advise the reason for this.

2/2 Hopefully we'll have a full running service soon. Anyone wishing to complain can write to gwrfeedback@gwr.com. Natalie

Personal preference is to advise people what to do (i.e. if you're at the station, use the help point to ensure road transport is coming) - more important than telling them the reason (staff sickness). 

We've asked GWR (Great Western Railway) several times of late to ask their team to tell people what to do if a train is cancelled as well as why it is cancelled, but that message doesn't seem to have reached everyone on their team yet!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 08:40:33 »

Not defending it but I can see a set of reasons why the TransWilts service gets chopped first when there is a staff shortage at Westbury.

Let us assume it is a driver missing.  If you were to pull in a driver who was due to work say a incoming southbound Cardiff-Portsmouth service from Westbury so they can go to Swindon and back you then have a unit stuck at the platform at Westbury unless the incoming driver has time/knowledge to put it away in the sidings.

Moving on, assume that driver was due to work the train to Portsmouth Harbour and then back as far as Fratton.  So at Fratton you have a driver, who may be a Westbury driver working home, or a Fratton one starting their shift.  He/she has no train to work and is therefore either stuck away from home or left marking time which isn't a good use of resources.

Finally assuming the northbound working to Cardiff resumes at Westbury with the unit which has been sitting there for a few hours.  You now need the driver due to work it north to be in place in time to pull it off the sidings.

Saying all that, none of this will be comfort to passengers waiting at Melksham nor ease my frustration at the damage it does to the reputation of the TW service.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 08:49:01 »

Presumably the RRS is running to a timetable? Or is it totally taxis ordered after call at any time to the helppoint?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 08:51:57 »

Not defending it but I can see a set of reasons why the TransWilts service gets chopped first when there is a staff shortage at Westbury.

[snip]

Saying all that, none of this will be comfort to passengers waiting at Melksham nor ease my frustration at the damage it does to the reputation of the TW service.

Yes - I can understand that.

We ran overnight accommodation for ten years ... occasional staff sickness, shortage, etc, but never once did we fail to have breakfast provided on time.  It didn't call for having extra people sitting around "just in case" - rather, a spirit in which we all worked together to ensure cover in the event of a crisis.  On one - yes, just one - occasion did we have someone who was not trained "hotel sitting".  I ask "where's the difference"; clearly the jobs are different.  We were a much smaller team, so close knit and would help each other out.   And our policy was to be doing a 37.5 or 40 (if you include breaks) hour week which meant that people could / would step in for a bit of overtime to help out.  Perhaps too much reliance on rest day working thins out the goodwill and availability on mornings like today?

John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 08:54:25 »

The original notice is confusing as well. It talks about road replacement transport being available for Melksham, but then also goes on to say you can use the local bus instead. So which is it?  And if you use the local bus, will your ticket still be refunded on the grounds that a proper rail replacement service was laid on?

If you use the local bus, is it clear that you still have to have first bought a rail ticket? Obvious to us, no doubt, but I can imagine some people will just go off to find the bus first without realising that. Also because of intermediate stops a local bus takes much longer than a point to point rail replacement service will, so connections are much more likely to be missed.

Finally, the hassle of having to claim a refund will put most people off applying I would suggest.  And then from other posts on the forum it could take months for it to come through.

Why doesn't GWR (Great Western Railway) just have an arrangement with a local taxi and/or coach company in the area?  After all, they've had at least a couple of hours to make such arrangements.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 08:55:36 »

Presumably the RRS is running to a timetable? Or is it totally taxis ordered after call at any time to the helppoint?

Goodness knows.  If there is a timetable, it's not exactly publicised.  See attached image for what the help point is saying

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 09:07:43 »

So the 0837 ran? - its not showing 'cancelked' as the others are.

Agree, all sorts of info missing. That help point screen could be so more useful if control could put messages on it - but it looks as though a one-liner may be possible against each service....

Suggest asking for a meeting with GWR (Great Western Railway) about this type if distuption
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 12:52:18 »

So the 0837 ran? - its not showing 'cancelked' as the others are.

Yes - that's a 2 car train that carries on to Cheltenham.  Saturday service (Melksham times) before 12.2013 were
* 08:37 and 15:21 northbound
* 15:48 and 21:34 southbound
Here's an old campaign picture at Melksham Station - Posters held up for the local press and "we want a proper train service".   Did it on a Saturday afternoon, and had (twice) to pull people back from the platform edge when a train called!

Agree, all sorts of info missing. That help point screen could be so more useful if control could put messages on it - but it looks as though a one-liner may be possible against each service....

An overall two big lines of text at the top in addition to the trains is also possible.

Suggest asking for a meeting with GWR (Great Western Railway) about this type if distuption

We lost 8 hours worth of services on 28th May 2017 and as a result had a meeting with GWR on 5th June 2017.  Whilst we to ensure that they're aware of the effect of the loss of multiple service have on our ability to cherish and grow the service, we don't want to waste our time or theirs by answering problems with a meeting.

Effect was very clear to see at 11:30 when I went down to the station.  A normally half full car park (on a Saturday morning) didn't have a single car in it.   Passengers waiting for the 11:48 both needed help with information and the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) / both first time users; Saturday and Sunday mornings are typically the time that new users first try the train.

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 17:53:07 »

To @GWRHelp

How am I (Community Rail Officer) supposed to promote TransWIlts with first southbound train at 12:36?

Replying to @transwilts

1/2 Hello. Sorry for the reduced service. I understand this is disappointing but best to just advise the reason for this.

2/2 Hopefully we'll have a full running service soon. Anyone wishing to complain can write to gwrfeedback@gwr.com. Natalie

Personal preference is to advise people what to do (i.e. if you're at the station, use the help point to ensure road transport is coming) - more important than telling them the reason (staff sickness). 

We've asked GWR (Great Western Railway) several times of late to ask their team to tell people what to do if a train is cancelled as well as why it is cancelled, but that message doesn't seem to have reached everyone on their team yet!

Re GWR telling people what they should do, I noticed last night on Journey Check that the 2330 Paddington to Cardiff was terminating at Bristol TM(resolve) due to urgent Engineering work in Patchway Tunnel but no advice as to what passengers should do.     I tweeted them and the reply came back saying it should run through as normal so I then had to refer the Twitter team to their own Journey Check once again.   .They came back then apologising and stated that the Control team had been consulted and that there would be a bus.   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: