Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:57:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • WicR Equality event: November 30, 2018
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Women in Community Rail (WiCR)  (Read 12920 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 24, 2017, 07:50:25 »

From http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/The-Last-Word/women-in-community-rail--on-track-to-change - in March last year

Women in community rail – on track to change
Source: RTM ((and RTFM) Read The Manual!) Feb/Mar 16

Sally Buttifant, Mid Cheshire Community Rail Partnership Officer, explains how a Women in Community Rail group could be a positive way of promoting community rail, sharing good practice and reaching out to young people.

Community rail is about innovation, creativity and generally being at the forefront of good practice. But in terms of promoting gender, diversity and community rail it has appeared that we were on the slow train – you know the one – the train that stops at every station and takes an age to reach the destination.

Things started to change in 2015. Women in Rail (WR) were putting out regular thought-provoking articles about gender balance, women in the rail world and the need to attract younger people, and particularly women, into scientific, technology, engineering and mathematics careers. Excellent! It is good to have a group highlighting women and the rail world, promoting dialogue and highlighting some of the issues facing the industry today. However, WR didn’t seem to be attracting community rail audiences and that isn’t really a surprise. Hands up if you know about community rail and can explain what it entails?

A sister group to WR suddenly seemed to make a lot of sense, and a Women in Community Rail (WiCR) group could be a very positive way of promoting community rail, sharing good practice  and reaching out to young people.

Over the last few months a core group have been talking, emailing and gauging support from colleagues with any community rail remit. This process has been surprising, challenging and positive. There is a lot of positive support for a community rail group, but there has been some anxiety around any group that appears to be just for women (WiCR is open to anyone who supports its aims) and research undertaken shows that there is a role for the group reaching out to champion community rail and diversity opportunities.

A steering group has been set up with representation from five train operators (Virgin Trains, Northern Rail, TransPennine Express, Great Western Railway and Merseyrail), two community rail partnerships, two station friends of groups, the Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships)), and transport authorities: Merseytravel and Transport for Greater Manchester.

The group aims to:
* Become recognised as a strategic player across the rail industry and an important consultee
* Share knowledge and expertise to encourage gender balance
* Create a mentoring/support network for all colleagues throughout the industry
* Increase inclusivity within the community rail world
* Encourage younger people to get involved in the community rail world
* Share best practice across the wider industry and business sector
* Encourage innovation and a can do attitude
We think there is work to be done – promoting community rail as a career and encouraging volunteers and colleagues to think about diversity and gender balance. Community rail is about teamwork and the best teams are made up of those with different skills and talents from both genders. WiCR is an inclusive group, very keen to attract male as well as female members and to demonstrate the benefits of working together.

WiCR is also pleased to announce that Alex Hynes, managing director for Northern Rail (and new MD for Arriva Rail North from 1 April), is the first ambassador for the group, supporting and promoting the group and its aims.

Last night at the Melksham Rail User Group meeting, we noted that all present were male, at, near, or beyond retirement age, and white British. That is not the profile of our passengers, and it's become far less the profile of the rail industry too; we should be more diverse in our user groups, and indeed the industry could probably gain a lot from having more of a balance.   Positive discrimination and looking for proportions which almost exactly match the population's profile aren't easy topics and there are natural differences between the genders, and between the ages at which people have time to get involved with community rail rather than having the ratrace of earning a living and raising a family.

The aims of the group are inclusivity and they encourage member of any gender, with all working together.  I will admit to still personally being a little uncomfortable with the name, no matter how many times it's been explained to me that it's just a name and "Inclusivity in Community Rail" (IiCR) or something like that doesn't have the same ring to it.

I'm posting this morning because I've received the latest WiCR update via email - and I'm sharing it (here). Please excuse formatting issues - it arrived as document in a MicroSoft format and my open source system struggled a bit, but the content and message is readable.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 05:04:57 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:40:00 »

I have had a long running joke with trainer, along the lines of  'that the day I see a member of the fairer sex write a letter to Todays Railways or Rail magazine, I'll eat my hat'. (note to self: borrow Paddy Ashdown's). Whilst it is good to see more woman breaking into senior management roles, shattering any perceived glass ceiling, it is a great shame that those much lower on the ladder, are not more widely represented, at least in print.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:55:15 »

Last night at the Melksham Rail User Group meeting, we noted that all present were male, at, near, or beyond retirement age, and white British. That is not the profile of our passengers, and it's become far less the profile of the rail industry too; we should be more diverse in our user groups, and indeed the industry could probably gain a lot from having more of a balance.   Positive discrimination and looking for proportions which almost exactly match the population's profile aren't easy topics and there are natural differences between the genders, and between the ages at which people have time to get involved with community rail rather than having the ratrace of earning a living and raising a family.

The aims of the group are inclusivity and they encourage member of any gender, with all working together.  I will admit to still personally being a little uncomfortable with the name, no matter how many times it's been explained to me that it's just a name and "Inclusivity in Community Rail" (IiCR) or something like that doesn't have the same ring to it.

I'm posting this morning because I've received the latest WiCR update via email - and I'm sharing it (here). Please excuse formatting issues - it arrived as document in a MicroSoft format and my open source system struggled a bit, but the content and message is readable.

The railway industry currently is the victim of many of a skills gap, certainly in engineering and even in Ops, this is in part what happened to the industry through the 1990's / 2000's many young people at that time did not see the railways having a future, because Government more or less said so with things like Serpal and other reports.

The industry does now have a generation of very talented people coming in of a very diverse range of gender, ethnicity etc.  It takes time for them to build up the experience and knowledge and they are getting there. 

The problem will be retaining them, most do not have the this is a job / career for life, this is in part the way society has educated their generation also the industry and Government don't engender the job / career for life.  The millennials look at my generation retiring age 60 and work out they could be 70 before they can even consider it on the current career so are looking at ways to reduce their retirement age which means if other jobs / industries pay better they are off as there is nothing to retain them

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:48:29 »

The problem will be retaining them, most do not have the this is a job / career for life, this is in part the way society has educated their generation also the industry and Government don't engender the job / career for life.  The millennials look at my generation retiring age 60 and work out they could be 70 before they can even consider it on the current career so are looking at ways to reduce their retirement age which means if other jobs / industries pay better they are off as there is nothing to retain them

ET makes a very good point and it certainly reflects my experience in the railway S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) industry.  However, having worked at quite a few different signalling design firms over the past 48 years you would be supprised at the number of women Design Engineer/CAD Operators that take that up as a long term career (my daughter happens to be one of them; must be in the genes!).  I suppose that as its not considered 'front line' work that it doesn't get that much publicity.

The issue that ET mentions of retention has been endemic in the railway industry since the 1970s.  I have watched people come and go as thats the only way they could develop their careers (and of course better their pay and conditions).  The railway has always been very poor at playing that 'game'.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:05:30 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 00:22:19 »

I can offer a few names here, and they are all in the public domain, due to their excellent work in local community rail partnerships in the South West of England:

Rebecca Catterall, of the Devon and Cornwall CRP (Community Rail Partnership);

Heather Cullimore, of the Severnside CRP;

Catherine Phillips, of the Heart of Wessex CRP.

They have all been recognised and won awards for their work - QED

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 16:17:22 »

An update from WiCR

http://atrebatia.info/180125_wicr_leaflet.pdf

The group's background was to promote diversity in Community Rail but explained that WiCR sounded better than DiCR.   Noting that they no longer have an men at all on their steering group, they are now firmly WiCR in name and, alas, WiCR rather than DiCR in outlook.

Perhaps now is the time to set up BOMiCR - Balding old men in Community Rail ... expect I would really not want to do anything which would put off our younger, female and hairier friends.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 17:31:26 »

... expect I would really not want to do anything which would put off our younger, female and hairier friends.
I hope that is a description of several rather than one group  Shocked
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 18:00:58 »

... expect I would really not want to do anything which would put off our younger, female and hairier friends.
I hope that is a description of several rather than one group  Shocked

linking the three words with "or" is fine ... linking them with the word "and" would have been politically incorrect!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:09:35 »

From Marion Atkinson - Chair of Women in  Community Rail

You may have heard Women in Community Rail came 1st in the ‘Influencing Positive Change’ category at this year’s ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) Community Rail Awards. This has been achieved by all of our members hard work, determination and of course sticking to our objectives. Speaking of our objectives  one of those is to grow our membership and engagement in the South of the country.

We plan to hold an equality event in your area on 30th November and offer our current members support in getting the word of WiCR out to the wider community, on that day.

I will come back with details as / when / if I hear of them - they are currently looking to choose the venue (and if you are someone who can help them in that choice, I can put you in touch).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: