Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:15:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: "Shortage of train crew"  (Read 19896 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 21:18:03 »

I know everyone's circumstances are different, but I know if I was on £45k+ a year for a 35ish hour week I wouldn't lift my head off my pillow on a Sunday...  (for overtime that is)

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 21:34:37 »

Indeed, it'll either get covered by increased fares (remival if the super off-peak, anyone?) - so by the likely users of weekend services (not sure it would seem to be fair to load it onto commuter peak fares), or by taxpayers with a lower take from franchise payments.

The extended logic of that is to split the paying the staff spread across the passengers on a train.  So travellers on busy trains would pay less each, an on quiet trains the price would be higher.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 23:13:07 »

As I have said previously, the answer IMHO (in my humble opinion) is to require that all NEW staff work Sundays as needed up to a maximum of say 20 Sundays a year.
There is nothing inherently unreasonable about NEW staff being subject to this requirement provided that it be made clear during the initial application for the job.

I feel that it is unreasonable to force EXISTING employees to work Sundays if this was not a requirement when they joined.

There would still be a requirement for some volunteer Sunday working for some years, but at least it would be a steadily reducing requirement rather than an ongoing and perhaps worsening situation.

The trades unions would probably oppose the idea though.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 07:56:56 »

Another option would be to offer those approaching retirement a reduced hours option - say the equivalent of 2 or 3 days a week, but again a degree of Sunday working would be a requirement. People of that age will probably be less concerned about working weekends as their family will not be constrained by the working (and school) week. It might also help the TOC (Train Operating Company) by giving them more flexibility, and for the staff concerned would be a good transition from employed to retired.  i.e. if some drivers feel a full working week is getting too tiring, they could still earn some income.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 09:26:57 »

As I have said previously, the answer IMHO (in my humble opinion) is to require that all NEW staff work Sundays as needed up to a maximum of say 20 Sundays a year.
There is nothing inherently unreasonable about NEW staff being subject to this requirement provided that it be made clear during the initial application for the job.

I feel that it is unreasonable to force EXISTING employees to work Sundays if this was not a requirement when they joined.

There would still be a requirement for some volunteer Sunday working for some years, but at least it would be a steadily reducing requirement rather than an ongoing and perhaps worsening situation.

The trades unions would probably oppose the idea though.

This. To include staff changing jobs/companies too.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 09:40:31 »

Went to see a friend in Stroud yesterday. While I was there another friend arrived, having taken the train up from Exeter, and said the train was delayed because there was no driver. I don't know any details though.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 14:04:18 »

I think it's called Work Life balance and it's been around a long time.

Ive been trying to find evidence of story about Lord Robens when he was chairman of the Caol Board talking to a, I think, yorkshire miner. Asked why he didn't work Monday replied something to the effect, "because I can't earn enough money NOT working Tuesday". That guy seems to have got his work life balance sorted but if I remember correctly the right wing press was outraged calling miners lazy and overpaid. Seems drivers are now in the same happy position.

If i was still working on 45K I'd be in full agreement with oldoriginal about getting out of bed on a Sunday.

I think if we want decent services, 24/7, we are going to have to  employ more workers plus pay them more  which means we will have to pay more for them of at time of using them or if publicly funded  (NHS) pay  more tax or a combination of both.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 14:14:56 »

S'ok.....all new drivers taken on have contracts to include Sunday rosters within their working week, thus once the current drivers retire the new ones become very flexible....thus fewer drivers then needed, and those extras only required for a few years.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 14:51:40 »

S'ok.....all new drivers taken on have contracts to include Sunday rosters within their working week, thus once the current drivers retire the new ones become very flexible....thus fewer drivers then needed, and those extras only required for a few years.

That is the suggestion that Broadgage made above, but I can quite categorically state that's not the case within GWR (Great Western Railway) currently.

A few TOC (Train Operating Company)'s do have Sunday's within the working week, Virgin West Coast for example, with the driver's base line salary bumped up several thousand pounds to compensate.  GWR has a mixture of drivers who can opt out of Sunday's with no penalty as long as they give 5 days notice, and others that are required to work unless their shift can be covered by somebody else - though that 'requirement' to work is a huge grey area as they are additional hours on top of their 35-hour week roster with no sick pay paid.  Some just don't turn up or go sick and there's very little the company can do about it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 15:17:24 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 16:39:51 »

West drivers who joined since 2003 all have Sunday workings and have to arrange their own cover for it off.
West drivers from before 2003, HSS (High Speed Services) and LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) drivers are Sundays opt out with a weeks notice..
West crew I believe to be optional Sundays.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 18:57:23 »

That is the suggestion that Broadgage made above, but I can quite categorically state that's not the case within GWR (Great Western Railway) currently.

A few TOC (Train Operating Company)'s do have Sunday's within the working week, Virgin West Coast for example, with the driver's base line salary bumped up several thousand pounds to compensate.  GWR has a mixture of drivers who can opt out of Sunday's with no penalty as long as they give 5 days notice, and others that are required to work unless their shift can be covered by somebody else - though that 'requirement' to work is a huge grey area as they are additional hours on top of their 35-hour week roster with no sick pay paid.  Some just don't turn up or go sick and there's very little the company can do about it.

I'm not sure how it works on the railways, but everywhere I've ever worked if you "just don't turn up" without good reason it's a disciplinary matter, and repeated sickness absences are covered by specific procedures which can ultimately lead to dismissal too.

If Managers lack the ability or motivation to apply these processes then they are failing as Managers and that might explain why people get away with it.

I expect fear of the Unions plays a part, but if processes are followed correctly there is nothing to fear, and I speak as someone who has gone down this route with individuals in highly unionised public sector environments.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 19:39:04 »

West drivers who joined since 2003 all have Sunday workings and have to arrange their own cover for it off.
West drivers from before 2003, HSS (High Speed Services) and LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) drivers are Sundays opt out with a weeks notice..
West crew I believe to be optional Sundays.

That's not quite how it is.  Paddington LTV can opt out with a week's notice (I thought that was all staff not just pre-2003 but happy to be corrected), Oxford have to get cover regardless of when they started.  As I said though 'have to get cover' in all probability isn't legally binding as I'll try to explain below. 

I'm not sure how it works on the railways, but everywhere I've ever worked if you "just don't turn up" without good reason it's a disciplinary matter, and repeated sickness absences are covered by specific procedures which can ultimately lead to dismissal too.

If Managers lack the ability or motivation to apply these processes then they are failing as Managers and that might explain why people get away with it.

I expect fear of the Unions plays a part, but if processes are followed correctly there is nothing to fear, and I speak as someone who has gone down this route with individuals in highly unionised public sector environments.

A Sunday (for all drivers on LTV and HSS - I'm not 100% sure about West, but think it is for them too) remains in addition to their working week.  Sundays do form part of their roster but not part of their 35-hour week which is usually normalised over an 8 week period.

If a driver wishes to give up their Sunday and they can't just opt-out, for example an Oxford LTV driver, they try and find cover themselves from another volunteer.  If that doesn't happen then the rostering department will try and cover it (potentially from another depot). 

If that doesn't happen they are supposed to work, but this is where the grey area is.  Because it is an additional shift it is very different from a normal rostered days work.  If you don't turn up on a normal rostered day of the week then that is quite rightly worked through the sickness and attendance procedure by their manager, known as MfA.  Much more rigorously than many organisations do I can tell you, given the impact regular sickness can have compared with other businesses!

Sundays however are different in two key areas.  1) You don't get paid sick pay if you go sick, 2) You can't book a Sunday off as part of your annual holiday entitlement to be guaranteed it off.  Those two differences and the fact it's an additional shift mean that AFAIUI there is very little the company can do!

Though it has to be said, the main reason for shortages are for those depots that retain the opt-out clause (half of drivers are probably pre-2003 at most depots) and no mention of that changing that was made as part of the recent IET (Intercity Express Train) package.  Though I certainly accept it will slowly get better over time, it is still going to be a problem for many years.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 16:25:42 »

We are massively overstaffed with drivers were I am based and I think the same can be said for a lot of other depots on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network.  Once all the new traction training is complete I think the company will be in a position to include Sunday's in the working week or else they will look at redundancies.  That's only my guess.  Some drivers may decide they don't want to learn new traction and opt to take retirement.  Sunday's within the working week is something the company wants but there's a few drivers who oppose the idea.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 20:51:25 »

We are massively overstaffed with drivers were I am based and I think the same can be said for a lot of other depots on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network.  Once all the new traction training is complete I think the company will be in a position to include Sunday's in the working week or else they will look at redundancies.  That's only my guess.  Some drivers may decide they don't want to learn new traction and opt to take retirement.  Sunday's within the working week is something the company wants but there's a few drivers who oppose the idea.

That'll sort out the "ooooooos gunna pay for it?" brigade then, some of the money saved on making all those surplus drivers redundant/giving them early retirement can be diverted into paying the remaining drivers a bit more to work on Sundays as part of the working week...........and just think of all that additional fare revenue with a more reliable, strengthened service!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 21:05:39 »

... just think of all that additional fare revenue with a more reliable ... service! 

Yep ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: