21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:46:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Photobucket picture hosting  (Read 21069 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 21:53:11 »

I've just tried to post a Photobucket image again. Not working for me.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 22:21:02 »

Like Phil I have a free account, and looking back my pics on forum are still viewable (at present)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 06:05:30 »

Not sure if I am missing something here. I guess I am one of the three as I have received a message from Graham. I have a free account with Photobucket, but my images are apparently still viewable here....

I've just tried to post a Photobucket image again. Not working for me.

Like Phil I have a free account, and looking back my pics on forum are still viewable (at present)

It sounds like the implementation of the rules for the lower an no cost accounts is being rolled out rather than globally applied across Photobucket.  Whether they plan to implement / apply software changes to every server or every account to enforce the new terms I wouldn't like to guess. If I were hosting there I would be making darned sure I had a backup of all my pictures - I wonder if they might make other changes as they further monetarise their investment in storing and serving your pictures.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 06:29:33 »

I wonder if it's an attempt to make some quick money to avoid going under, following fotopics route. Some web hosts have commented elsewhere they've 1000s of photos hosted on photobucket and it will destroy their whole website, so feel paying up is the only way to avoid their websites going.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 06:56:21 »

I wonder if it's an attempt to make some quick money to avoid going under, following fotopics route. Some web hosts have commented elsewhere they've 1000s of photos hosted on photobucket and it will destroy their whole website, so feel paying up is the only way to avoid their websites going.

There is a logic to building up a business and accepting a loss in the early days, then looking to recoup those losses when you have a base of customers who are committed to / reliant on you.  Should your business start as a small organisation and be swallowed into a bigger one, the metrics can adjust with the bigger organisation that has bought your requiring a return on its investment on its (the parent's) timescale even if that means a loss of the previous friendly approach.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 10:13:13 »

I see no logic in holding people's photos to ransom and ruining thousands of forums, blogs and websites.

I've now downloaded all my pictures from Photobucket and I believe this forum's Admins are looking at ways to get them back into the many ruined threads. Good luck bobm and grahame and thanks in advance for putting the work in.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 10:32:16 »

I see no logic in holding people's photos to ransom and ruining thousands of forums, blogs and websites.

I've now downloaded all my pictures from Photobucket and I believe this forum's Admins are looking at ways to get them back into the many ruined threads. Good luck bobm and grahame and thanks in advance for putting the work in.

We are ... but we need a copy of the raw data from you, or links to alternative hosting and a pattern of how to map the old names to the new.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 10:39:26 »

I've sent bobm my Photobucket pictures.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 11:56:19 »

All received and we are working on it now.

Just to help us it seems when downloaded from Photobucket the names of all the folders are changed from the URLs used to embed them.  The actual filename isn't changed but the rest of the path is so we are now trying to see of we can match the new folder name to the old path.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 12:36:32 »

All received and we are working on it now.

Just to help us it seems when downloaded from Photobucket the names of all the folders are changed from the URLs used to embed them.  The actual filename isn't changed but the rest of the path is so we are now trying to see of we can match the new folder name to the old path.

Provided that the file name is the same and we can forecast the target directory, I expect I can write a script for the purpose to point to the new location for the handful of users who have the biggest problems (with their posts  Grin ) . But I'm out of the door / travelling in an hour or two and not sure when I'll next have a connection good enough (and a time quiet enough) for remote coding.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 12:56:23 »

More links to comments on the general story.

http://uk.pcmag.com/webcom/90124/news/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5671481
https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/111497-photobucket-and-third-party-hosting/

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 13:06:55 »

Comments on their Facebook page since this change are almost entirely negative.

They have started replying to criticism but I see no acknowledgement of the damage they've caused to thousands of websites.

A change to Terms of Service is their prerogative but they really should have grandfathered the existing hotlinks. Not held them to ransom.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 01:10:53 »

A timely reminder to us all to keep good backups / not be reliant on any single site / person / company.   And, yes, that means I encourage you to keep backups of important / significant posts you've made here too.

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 14:16:52 »

No idea when Smartcard are being rolled out on the Severn Beach Line, but here's a picture of one of the readers:

Not sure about anyone else, but none of your recent pics are working for me...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 14:33:35 »

Using Apple product? I believe my hotlinks don't work on iOS browsers. I'm only temporarily using Google Drive to host images until I've got my own photo hosting website set up. Later this month after I've moved house.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: