Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:07:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail disruption  (Read 3902 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« on: July 01, 2017, 18:15:41 »

Following yesterdays minor issues (chaos at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), cancelled BPW-PNZ@0623, and single carriage GLO-TAU» (Taunton - next trains)@0657 rather than the usual two/three carriages) and todays serious points failure at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), is it reasonable for me to expect GWR (Great Western Railway)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) to do better.

The fact that trains fail, as do points, is a given; but surely there should be resilience in the network and schedules to provide options.

The points into key stations should be monitored 24/7 and replaced before failure!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 18:27:43 »

More on today's disruption due to points failure at Bristol Temple Meads:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-40467213
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 19:27:57 »

Following yesterdays minor issues (chaos at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), cancelled BPW-PNZ@0623, and single carriage GLO-TAU» (Taunton - next trains)@0657 rather than the usual two/three carriages) and todays serious points failure at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), is it reasonable for me to expect GWR (Great Western Railway)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) to do better.

The fact that trains fail, as do points, is a given; but surely there should be resilience in the network and schedules to provide options.

The points into key stations should be monitored 24/7 and replaced before failure!

Points do have RCM (Remote Condition Monitoring) which is monitored 24/7 by "Flight Engineers" and I know S & T staff are mobilised to sets of points that alarm as being out of tolerance, there are other key bits of kit that has RCM as well.

Each NR Route has to have a resilience plan with golden assets / locations identified, these golden assets / locations  which has the focus of investment.

There is possible more to this than just a set of points failing.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 21:26:54 »

In regards the disruption this morning (Saturday) I heard from a GWR (Great Western Railway) employee that it was not just one set of points but around half a dozen sets of points that failed: this would explain why, when I got to the station at 0815, the 0800 to Manchester Pic had not yet departed from Platform 3 and neither had the 0800 to London Paddington from Platform 15. I had got to Bristol TM(resolve) for the 0830 to Birmingham New St but the signal cleared for the 0800 to Manchester to leave so I got on that instead: we left at 0825.

There were some pretty hefty delays though such as the 0930 from Cardiff to Portsmouth which left Cardiff 3 minutes late and then ended up leaving Newport 1hr 58mins late having sat there for close to 2 hours! Shocked
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C23660/2017/07/01

Dave
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 21:43:56 »

Not a good weekend so far.

On Friday at 0610, I got to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) to be told 0623 was cancelled, so get bus or wait for 0657. I waited for the 0657, and as mentioned at the top, the usual 2/3 carriages was 1. Fun for the 100+ passages waiting and the half full carriage.

Today I got the BPW again, got on a train that had already waited 80minutes at BPW (Cross Country to Plymouth). Luckily for me, a few minutes later the train started slowly to head to BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)). The explanation of RCM was interesting.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 22:02:56 »

In regards the disruption this morning (Saturday) I heard from a GWR (Great Western Railway) employee that it was not just one set of points but around half a dozen sets of points that failed: this would explain why, when I got to the station at 0815, the 0800 to Manchester Pic had not yet departed from Platform 3 and neither had the 0800 to London Paddington from Platform 15. I had got to Bristol TM(resolve) for the 0830 to Birmingham New St but the signal cleared for the 0800 to Manchester to leave so I got on that instead: we left at 0825.

There were some pretty hefty delays though such as the 0930 from Cardiff to Portsmouth which left Cardiff 3 minutes late and then ended up leaving Newport 1hr 58mins late having sat there for close to 2 hours! Shocked
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C23660/2017/07/01

Dave

I'm glad I wasn't travelling today! I did hear from friends who were travelling from Bath to Weymouth this morning who said it took them four and a half hours.

Dave's reference to managing to leave earlier than his train was due has happened to me in similar circumstances. It is the silver lining in the black cloud of disruption that trains running very late can sometimes mean you get somewhere earlier than you expected.  Cheesy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 22:16:03 »

I was told on Thursday that in the Bristol area GWR (Great Western Railway) were short of five units.  This is partly due to the delay in the cascading of units from the Thames Valley.  Units which GWR thought were leaving are now staying longer and as a result now need heavy maintenance which had previously been postponed.  There has been a lot of mixing and matching to get the most out of the stock available.

Hopefully with the first Turbos taking over the Severn Beach line next week it will be the start of an improvement.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 03:29:19 »

I was told on Thursday that in the Bristol area GWR (Great Western Railway) were short of five units.  ....

Short of available crew too ... seeing regular cancellations "This service was cancelled throughout due to an issue with the train crew (TG)." reported to me again yesterday, with customers for the 15:48 at Melksham Station being advised to wait for the 18:02.  "Flippin Joke".  Report also suggests cancellation was not advised well ahead.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 06:39:19 »

I think that needs taking up with GwR? Thats more than a 2 hour wait? Shouldn't they be supplying taxis to a sensible onward railhead?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 07:49:22 »

I think that needs taking up with GwR? Thats more than a 2 hour wait? Shouldn't they be supplying taxis to a sensible onward railhead?

I'm not just "posting to vent" here ... it forms part of systemic evidence starting with the decision not to crew a train such that a gap of 135 minutes is left, then the help point not offering an alternative.  If people ask "when is the next train" they tend to have that question answered, and not be offered any alternative. A follow up question along the lines of "what - nothing sooner" is answered with "no, I'm sorry - that's the next train".

I suspect that part of the issue may be that some of the help point staff speak English (all be it good English) as a second language, so answer literally the questions asked.  They don't pick up the colloquialisms and the question that the caller really wants answered.

'This bloke walked up to me and asked "could you tell me the way to the Town Hall?". I answered "Yes, I could" and walked on. ...'

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 09:17:48 »

I'm not just "posting to vent" here ... it forms part of systemic evidence starting with the decision not to crew a train such that a gap of 135 minutes is left, then the help point not offering an alternative.  If people ask "when is the next train" they tend to have that question answered, and not be offered any alternative. A follow up question along the lines of "what - nothing sooner" is answered with "no, I'm sorry - that's the next train".

I suspect that part of the issue may be that some of the help point staff speak English (all be it good English) as a second language, so answer literally the questions asked.  They don't pick up the colloquialisms and the question that the caller really wants answered.

'This bloke walked up to me and asked "could you tell me the way to the Town Hall?". I answered "Yes, I could" and walked on. ...'

It goes to the heart of the problem of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s attitude to its customers, especially in times of severe delays, which is at best indifferent.

The help point agent's script should include something along the lines of "if the delay is likely to be more than xxx minutes? If so offer taxi" or similar.............in reality, I suspect the approach taken is more likely to be "don't offer it or everyone will want one"

I think there have been 3 occasions where I have been stuck in really serious disruption at Reading and had no alternative to get to Taplow other than by cab. On each of those occasions, without being advised by rail staff I have taken the initiative and jumped in a cab (twice with fellow Taplow passengers) paid the fare (£40-ish) and then submitted receipts/an explanation to FGW (First Great Western)/GWR...........on each occasion I received a refund with no questions asked - I would encourage anyone else to do similar

(...............I can already hear a faint cry of "oooooooooos gunna pay for it?" forming in the throat of a fellow forum member not so far away!!!)  Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 16:08:40 »

Not me this time...but I do think your suggestion ought to come with a strong "I'm not personally recommending this as there is NO GUARANTEE of a refund" warning
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: