I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:09:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach Line; trains, performance, tickets and usage  (Read 60154 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 12:37:09 »

What's happened to the replaced 15Xs, will they act as extra depot cover for failed services or will these be used to strengthen other Bristol/Exeter area commuter services?

I think it may have been mentioned that a particular service from A to B could do with being strengthened, I can't remember the location but I think it departs from A at something like 17:36, and is possibly the first service on that route for over 2 hours? As I say I think such a service exists and has possibly been mentioned on this forum before, but I could be wrong!

Three 150/1s destined for Northern in September and which are remaining to help out for the Summer period.   This is the latest that I have heard but anything can happen.   The morning Peaks were 3 Car 150s but not in the evening when they were also required but not available.
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 21:48:07 »

A better journey in this morning, with the 8.16 from Clifton Down arriving at Temple Meads 7 minutes late. The return 18.47 was again 20 minutes late arriving at Clifton Down, though. Does anyone know why the Turbos are, it appears, travelling more slowly than the 150s?

On my return journey, the ex-first-class compartment I travelled in still had antimacassars with 'First Class' embroidered on them, so I asked the guard to confirm that it was declassified. She did, adding that because of the signage I would probably have the compartment to myself. That prediction proved to be correct!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 23:21:07 »

I noticed that there were extra staff on the Monday services to advise the drivers. The slowing down at each stop was noticeable. My guess is that that the new stock needs some acclimatizing.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 23:50:15 »

There were Driver and Guard Managers onboard the services I took.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 11:07:27 »

Had my first go on the Severn Turbos this morning - they still seem to be having slight timekeeping issues, but otherwise very impressed!

I'll try not be sniffy about the fact that they are 25 years old, or that maybe Bristol (the only place outside the M25 that makes a positive contribution to the exchequer) deserves better - they are a huge improvement on what we had before.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 11:12:05 »

...the only place outside the M25 that makes a positive contribution to the exchequer...

Now that's an interesting fact. What's the background/evidence/rationale, out of interest?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 11:52:57 »

Google wants to be your friend, but if you're too shy then you could start here:

The buzz around Bristol – the only major English city outside London to make a positive net contribution to the national economy and which boasts the largest silicon chip industry outside Silicon Valley – is palpable.

From The Guardian

This report states it more formally.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 11:56:10 »

I googled "Large" and "Bristol" but although there were lots and lots of results, none seemed to be about the economy...  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 12:02:02 »

I googled "Large" and "Bristol" but although there were lots and lots of results, none seemed to be about the economy...  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 12:02:43 »

The report says "beyond the south east of England only the Bristol city economy
makes a net contribution to the Exchequer. All other Core City economies are subsidised".

So not exactly "the only place outside the M25" - rather, the only city of an arbitrary size outside the south-east. Core Cities are apparently defined as Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, and Sheffield.

I'd be amazed if Oxford and Cambridge (and their respective hinterlands) didn't make a net contribution, to take two examples. Doesn't alter the fact that Bristol could do with better trains, of course.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 12:34:32 »

You make a fair point, Mr Fairhurst!:

Cambridge is one of the few cities making a net contribution to the UK (United Kingdom) Treasury.

From The Case for Cambridge

...and then, a bit later in the same report:

Public transport is inadequate with chronic congestion on the roads

Anyone see a pattern emerging?

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 13:08:04 »

Not that much happening for me today , so I thought I would have a bit of a jolly,took the revamped Seven Riviera service to Seven Beach from Sea Mills and back again !
Most impressed by the ride and comfort of the class 166, I managed to sit in first class both ways and was not troubled by any other passengers on either of my journeys .
I notice two in the driving compartment on both trips, one who is training to drive and his instructor, according to the guard who himself was new to the job.
One slight gripe,the guard couldn't sell me a ticket on either of my trips today and no ticket machine at the beach or sea mills So GWR (Great Western Railway) IOU £3:00.
As a point of interest when are the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) type machines on the platforms coming on line,could anyone shed some light on this for me ? Please.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 14:02:40 »

No idea when Smartcard are being rolled out on the Severn Beach Line, but here's a picture of one of the readers:

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 14:57:22 »

Are there any scheduled plans to increase the frequency of trains on this line? And improve track to allow this?

A service of every 45minutes seems ridiculous to me, surely 15 minutes at peak and 30 minutes at the rest of the day.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 15:05:10 »

I believe the intent is to increase it to half hourly once the Filton four tracking is complete.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: