I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:48:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach Line; trains, performance, tickets and usage  (Read 60153 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 18:34:20 »

Had a go on the new turbos today. Pleasantly surprised to see they were already in the new GWR (Great Western Railway) livery inside and out. They feel and sound very different.  I can echo the previous comments about delays. While waiting for the 15.34 from Redland to TM(resolve) the arrival indicator announced the preceding service to Avonmouth/Severn Beach cancelled and the service went though Redland without stopping a few mins later. My TM service was about 5 mins late with no apparent ticket staff but 3 staff in the rear drivers compartment.
Just one ticket seller on platform 3 at TM too.
Return 17.13 service was running about 17 mins behind schedule. I decided to ask the guard if it would stop at Redland though.
Looks like a few teething problems but that is surely to be expected.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 18:43:27 »

johneyw. I was the delayed 1713 to SVB too! Sat right at the front. From where I didn't hear the announcement that the service was turning back at Avonmouth. GWR (Great Western Railway) attempting to reduce the delays that have dogged the Severn Beach Line all day.  My plan was to go to St Andrew's Road and take a picture or two. Then return to my car at Shirehampton. Instead I alighted at Shire and have driven to St Andrew's Road.

Turning the 1713 back at Avonmouth has meant an hours delay for passenger on it who wanted St Andrews Road and Severn Beach. A substantial number at that time of day.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 19:19:33 »

BNM, I decided to make the best of the delay and jumped on the 17.09 to Lawrence Hill to dive into Lidl for a couple of things then join the delayed 17.13 from there. I've got accustomed to what I can buy from Lidl in 15 mins over the years!☺

BTW (by the way), did you manage to get any photos to post?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 19:38:56 by johnneyw » Logged
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 20:17:02 »

As it happened I was on the 1405 to Avon mofe as the automated voice kept saying Shy yurr Hampton sounded a bit odd too! . Apart from a minutes unpleasant vertical juddering at Sea Mills....thought someone was pile driving the viaduct...it was a very pleasant journey. No ticket inspections, tho I saw the guard at least 6 times. I thought the interior looked, felt and smelt brand new. altho closer inspection  revealed one or two minor blemishes. Good numbers at Redland,Clifton Down.and for the 1515 from Temple Meads back to Severn Beach... the general expression was one of disbelief !
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 20:27:40 »

johneyw. I was the delayed 1713 to SVB too!

Now bnm, I know you say you have a big nose, and it has been mentioned in the past by yourself/other forum members that you may not be the slimmest person in the world, but to say you are the size of a 3 car turbo, is surely pushing it a bit!  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 21:58:06 »

johneyw. I was the delayed 1713 to SVB too!

Now bnm, I know you say you have a big nose, and it has been mentioned in the past by yourself/other forum members that you may not be the slimmest person in the world, but to say you are the size of a 3 car turbo, is surely pushing it a bit!  Smiley

Missing. One preposition.

Thanks Adelante!  Grin

Are you the size of a Class 180?  Tongue

BTW (by the way), did you manage to get any photos to post?

I'll post those shortly. Just need to have a mini rant on another board...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 22:36:33 »

I was on the 8.16 from Clifton Down this morning. GWR (Great Western Railway) staff were in attendance on the platform handing out leaflets promoting the new trains and holding trays with what may have been pastries (they were mostly covered by the leaflets and I wasn't actually offered one). The journey seemed smoother than the usual 150, but we were 20 minutes late arriving at Temple Meads. Oddly, while the indicator at Platform 1 at Clifton Down showed the 8.16 to Avonmouth as cancelled, we waited to enter the single-line section at Redland as usual, and were passed by another turbo. Perhaps it was running non-stop to Avonmouth to make up time.

Returning on the 18.47, I bagged a seat in a declassified first-class compartment, thanks to bobm's tip. It seemed a little incongruous to be travelling along the Beach line in a leather seat, but the extra space and table made for a comfortable journey, especially as there was only one other passenger there. I wonder how long it will take before the regulars catch on and the compartments fill up quickly. The speed of the train seemed slightly slower than usual, and we were 7 minutes late arriving at Clifton Down.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, it will be most welcome having three carriages on the hitherto two-carriage 18.03 from Temple Meads. I catch that train occasionally and I'm not sure I've ever succeeded in getting a seat.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 22:50:53 by Kempis » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 22:58:19 »

I would like to hear from regular users on the more crowded former 2 carriage services how things are now that there are 3. I'm also wondering if this will gradually encourage more onto these services, as I suspect they will. If so, will the continued cascade be able to supply an extra carriage or are other priorities going to prevent this?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 23:22:47 »

Here are some photos I took this afternoon/evening of the Class 166s on the Severn Beach Line:

I parked up at Shirehampton, my old stamping ground, for the 1607 to Bristol TM(resolve).

Arrived at Bristol TM, 16 late. How does one board through the front set of doors without commiting a byelaw offence?

A pint of shandy in Boney Parts then the 1713 to St Andrew's Road. Departed 17 late.

Due to late departure didn't make it to St Andrew's Road by train. Learnt from RealTime Trains en route that the service was turning back at Avonmouth. No PA (Public Address) in front carriage. Bailed at Shirehampton and jumped in car.

Drove to St Andrew's Road.

Then drove back to Clifton Down.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 00:46:46 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 04:48:10 »

Arrived at Bristol TM(resolve), 16 late. How does one board through the front set of doors without commiting a byelaw offence?

It's un-necessary to board through the front doors as you can walk through.  More to the point, are you instructed not to leave the train through the rear doors on arrival to avoid committing an offence (and I note the offence is not in getting off the train, but it passing the board - so technically you could get off, realise, get back on and walk through the train ...).

Ah - too early in the morning to get pedantic, isn't it?   I'm sure the signage will be adjusted some time!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 09:19:16 »

Looking very smart, now all we need is a few quid to redouble it and hang the electric string ;-)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 09:43:26 »

I would like to hear from regular users on the more crowded former 2 carriage services how things are now that there are 3. I'm also wondering if this will gradually encourage more onto these services, as I suspect they will. If so, will the continued cascade be able to supply an extra carriage or are other priorities going to prevent this?

Do you mean an extra, extra carriage (ie a fourth?) Coz that won't happen.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 09:52:05 »

Seems to be that the thread title is incorrect.    Should be 166s not 165s
John R

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2017, 09:53:07 »

Note that previously the arrival into BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) at 0758 was usually 3 cars, so the increase in capacity for that service will be less dramatic.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2017, 10:36:46 »

What's happened to the replaced 15Xs, will they act as extra depot cover for failed services or will these be used to strengthen other Bristol/Exeter area commuter services?

I think it may have been mentioned that a particular service from A to B could do with being strengthened, I can't remember the location but I think it departs from A at something like 17:36, and is possibly the first service on that route for over 2 hours? As I say I think such a service exists and has possibly been mentioned on this forum before, but I could be wrong!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: