Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:50:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[102] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[44] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[41] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[40] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach Line; trains, performance, tickets and usage  (Read 60169 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2017, 11:33:16 »

Who from the railway industry has ducked responsibility and said it's up to the passenger travelling to get an earlier train?
I've cited an attitude, not a statement. There is a difference.

One is implicit, the other is explicit.

Thanks for clarifying that.  Your post read, to me at least, as if that's what had actually been said.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2017, 13:50:00 »

Quote from: TaplowGreen
I think you're missing the point - journey numbers have indeed more than doubled but you're confusing two issues -  reliability, capacity, cleanliness, customer service etc have nowhere near kept pace - the usage of something increasing doesn't necessarily indicate that it's the "best" option, for a large number of people it has been, and remains, the only option...

I certainly agree with that part of your post in respect of journeys increasing into London being driven by people being prepared to sacrifice more of their day commuting because of being effectively priced out of living anywhere near central London.  The train is indeed usually the only realistic choice.

However, long distance and rural routes have also seen very large increases at off-peak times (indeed IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) they were two markets that still grew in the last set of results when South East commuter journeys fell back) often in places where the population has risen very little if at all. They are journeys where there are usually other options available.

There are also massive success stories even within London such as London Overground which gets ever more popular and busy all day.

It's quite a complicated picture as usual.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2017, 17:32:55 »

I have been on the Severn Beach line a few times since these Class 166s came in. Despite the teething problems I find these trains to be better than the 'Sardine class' (class 150) units that were used previously. I believe they are to start using more 166s on services around Bristol later this year: anyone know what route(s) will be next to see them and when?

Dave
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2017, 18:22:09 »

... anyone know what route(s) will be next to see them and when?

Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-mare local trains are scheduled to be next, I believe, in the early autumn. Mind you, what happens and when have been known to change.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2017, 17:01:31 »

Still some trouble with the Turbos today. The 08.50 Redland to Temple Meads was running about 20 mins late and seemed to be having a knock on effect on later services. Scuppered my planned day out as I would have missed my connecting service.

This makes well over half the Severn Beach Line services I've caught this month moderately or very late. Well paid GWR (Great Western Railway) top management haven't been justifying their pay packet on this shambles.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2017, 19:16:33 »

Another delay on the 1603 from Temple Meads today. Looked like no driver available on time. Finally set off dunno how many mins late but probably about 10 to 15. Never had anything like this amont of consistent delays with the pre Turbos. GWR (Great Western Railway) claims that they were getting on top of the problems seem not to be evidence based from my experience. I wonder how they define getting on top of a problem.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2017, 20:52:41 »

Struggling all day today................

Alterations to services between Bristol Temple Meads and Severn Beach

Due to a fault on this train between Bristol Temple Meads and Severn Beach:
Train services running to and from these stations are returning to normal but some services may still be delayed by up to 15 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2017, 20:57:39 »

One unit broke down and was swapped.  The other was reported to be on "low power"
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2017, 21:29:30 »

Have these Turbos always been this unreliable or have they just not got the shelf life of the Sprinters (or even Pacers)?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2017, 21:36:22 »

Have these Turbos always been this unreliable or have they just not got the shelf life of the Sprinters (or even Pacers)?

They're now based a depot that's learning kit way into the class, and that may explain the initial low availability.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2017, 21:38:52 »

Familiarity does indeed help a lot when learning to fix the minor faults fast.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2017, 21:46:06 »

I'm not sure how many sets Bristol has so far - it's either three or four - which doesn't give much wriggle room.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 22:05:42 »

Pity one or two experienced maintenance staff weren't seconded to depot to help with the transition but I can appreciate that this is easier said than done.
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 23:06:00 »

Sounds like I got lucky on my trip tonight then, over to Shirehampton and back. Got a turbo on the way out, noticed the old first class section is still there and much more comfortable than the rest of what looked like 3x2 seating. I assume they are planning on removing the first class section at some point? And got a bog  standard 150 in the way back. No delays thankfully either.
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2017, 18:31:39 »

Saw a 3x166 turbo set heading north through Yatton about 1345 this afternoon. I heard they are going to be eventually used on the Weston to B.Parkway services, is that still right? Any provisional dates for transition?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: