I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:21:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach Line; trains, performance, tickets and usage  (Read 60157 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2018, 18:10:07 »

If Gromit's not available, maybe we could get the enterprising denizens of Cromwell Road to lay it while NR» (Network Rail - home page) look the other way...

Grommit's track laying speed was, though, truly exceptional ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2018, 18:12:42 »

(I'm going to get into trouble with S&TE again here for showing my higgerance, but here goes)

Extending the loop from CFN (Clifton Down station) to Narroways would presumably have the benefit that you'd 'just' have to move the signally thing and the pointy switchy doodah down the track about 2km east of their current location. There's probably getting on for 2km of old FB rail knocking around in Montpelier Cutting; give Gromit an orange jacket and point him in the right direction and before you can say 'Cracking track, Gromit!' Robert would be yer mother's new close personal friend. How hard can it be? If Gromit's not available, maybe we could get the enterprising denizens of Cromwell Road to lay it while NR» (Network Rail - home page) look the other way...

I'll come back to you on that Red Squirrel, with some facts and figures to show you why NR put these things into the 'too difficult box'  Wink

...oh and by the way, I going to use some of your terminology in future posts as it really made me chuckle.  First time I've ever heard a set of points called a 'pointy switchy doodah'  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 18:28:53 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2018, 19:08:04 »

Bringing the second platforms back into use at Redland and Montpelier, and having them EA-compliant, would probably cost more than the PW (Permanent Way) and signalling I imagine...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2018, 19:28:53 »

Bringing the second platforms back into use at Redland and Montpelier, and having them EA-compliant, would probably cost more than the PW (Permanent Way) and signalling I imagine...

They're - what - 500 metres apart and the platforms remaining are currently on different sides of the track.  By comparison, it is 400 metres for someone in a wheelchair to cross from the up platform to the down platform at Bradford-on-Avon. No - no conclusion - just having some ideas which look very silly. And I don't know whether either / both stations would need new footbridges or be able to have independent access on the second side.

I did notice this last week ... and wonder how busy that line is compared to the one at Redland and Montpelier

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2018, 19:31:41 »

That's why I suggested in my earlier post to just double the stretch from Narroways to the tunnel.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2018, 19:41:13 »

They're - what - 500 metres apart and the platforms remaining are currently on different sides of the track.  By comparison, it is 400 metres for someone in a wheelchair to cross from the up platform to the down platform at Bradford-on-Avon. No - no conclusion - just having some ideas which look very silly. And I don't know whether either / both stations would need new footbridges or be able to have independent access on the second side.

I did notice this last week ... and wonder how busy that line is compared to the one at Redland and Montpelier

Looks like Sea Mills, if so tis same line.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2018, 21:07:01 »

I suppose Sea Mills has grandfather rights...

Making the disused platform at MTP accessible would be problematic without a very long ramp or a lift. RDA (Regional Development Agency) ought to be pretty straightforward, actually, if the council were willing to grant access via Cotham Gardens.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2018, 23:03:24 »

I would be surprised if someone's not suggested it / looked at it. But how do the economic, financial and political case(s) stack up?    Will the Severn Beach line compete with or compliment other plans underway such as Metrobus, MetroWest and the Bristol Underground?   Isn't it part of Metrowest in which case capacity will have been considered?

Strangely, or maybe not, MetroBust doesn't really touch the SVB line anywhere. The nearest it comes to it is passing below, on the M32. Atkins, in 2006, did suggest ripping up the line and replacing it with a guided busway. This met with stiff opposition, and they have had to wait until now to prove that guided busways are not necessarily cheap and easy to build. So other than on that existential basis, the SVB line neither complements nor competes with MetroBust. It is part of MetroWest, or at least will be when that happens properly, and should be part of routes to Bath Spa (or possibly even Westbury) and Portishead. The Bristol Underground will remain a pipe-dream until there is absolutely no room on roads for anything to move. The only reason I can see for it being mentioned is to try to persuade the locals that the councils and the new Metro Mayor actually have ideas, and that they can forget how long we have been talking about Portishead and rejoice that we want an Underground instead.

Routine cross-acceptance of tickets on public transport (not just put in place when one mode / operator is malfunctioning) would be too joined up ...  Grin Grin.   No-brainer, but you would want to have a co-ordinated fare system.  My understanding is that rail fares on "The Beach" are lower than bus fares at present, and indeed the low fares may also be a barrier to major investment in infrastructure such as an extra track as the rate of immediate return might be pretty poor.

The fares on the SVB must be the best value in terms of pence per mile anywhere in England. The fare was set at £3 return between Severn Beach and Temple Meads back in 2007, when the service was improved to the point of being usable by commuters.( My inner conspiracy theorist still thinks that improvement was done to prove that the line was not economic, and give Atkins their way after all!) A weekly ticket costs £9, which is less than a day's car parking in central Bristol. Between Clifton Down and any station to Temple Meads is a mere £2 return. The fares would cover the cost of the service if they were all collected, but that isn't easy at peak periods, given the large number of passengers, the short distance between stations, and the lack of TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) or gatelines anywhere but Temple Meads. There have been proposals to raise the fares, but Bristol City Council no longer subsidise the service, and GWR (Great Western Railway) may recognise that any increase could reduce the numbers actually paying for the ride. Extra track would enable extra trains, and so extra passengers, and would probably justify fare rises, but no-one seems to want to do that, at least not until MetroWest rail is up and running, and a more holistic approach can be taken.

The Severn Beach Line has been, for the past decade, its own feasibility study. The success it has had even with limited expenditure on improvements should be used to calculate new figures to judge cost against benefit for urban rail investment, because it doesn't look as though the current formulae fit the job.

Now, please!
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2018, 14:46:14 »

That's why I suggested in my earlier post to just double the stretch from Narroways to the tunnel.
That is one idea. One thing which annoys me with getting the 0810 SML - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) (0754 SVB-BRI) is that it leaves SML on time (in my experience) and runs fine to CFN (Clifton Down station). The problem then arrises whereby the 0803 BRI-AVN delays the 0810 SML-BRI by a good few minutes. One answer, for the benefit of passengers at RDA (Regional Development Agency) might be to extend the double track from CFN to RDA which would, I think, lessen the delay.

Another suggestion for northbound trains would be to bring the loop, and thus both platforms, at SML back into use. If a train is running late from AVN toward CFN but the train from CFN toward AVN is on time then the train from AVN could be held at SML.

Dave
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2018, 15:38:27 »

That is one idea. One thing which annoys me with getting the 0810 SML - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) (0754 SVB-BRI) is that it leaves SML on time (in my experience) and runs fine to CFN (Clifton Down station). The problem then arrises whereby the 0803 BRI-AVN delays the 0810 SML-BRI by a good few minutes. One answer, for the benefit of passengers at RDA (Regional Development Agency) might be to extend the double track from CFN to RDA which would, I think, lessen the delay.

Another suggestion for northbound trains would be to bring the loop, and thus both platforms, at SML back into use. If a train is running late from AVN toward CFN but the train from CFN toward AVN is on time then the train from AVN could be held at SML.

Dave.

That would be a great opportunity,however I looked today at the Bridge On the River Trym it is subject to a 15 mph permanent speed restriction ,and has only the one track,over the road crossing to the edge of the Avon ,also as the line runs from SML toward AVN the trackbed has been encroached upon by the building of some installation or other. Which can be seen in the picture that Grahame posted further up this thread.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 15:45:05 by Western Pathfinder » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2018, 15:50:44 »

Then the 0803 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-AVN could be held on that stretch if running late to allow the 0810 SML-BRI to pass on that re-doubled section.

Another suggestion for northbound trains would be to bring the loop, and thus both platforms, at SML back into use. If a train is running late from AVN toward CFN (Clifton Down station) but the train from CFN toward AVN is on time then the train from AVN could be held at SML.

Sensible suggestion but the holders of the purse strings don't think like that, they only think of their bank accounts, If I scupper that then there's more in the pot for me to take out as a bonus.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2018, 00:02:59 »

That's why I suggested in my earlier post to just double the stretch from Narroways to the tunnel. Then the 0803 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-AVN could be held on that stretch if running late to allow the 0810 SML-BRI to pass on that re-doubled section.
Yes true. Perhaps one way to achieve that would be to slightly retime the 0803 BRI-AVN to leave BRI at 0806 to give the 0810 SML-BRI time to make the Redland call.

Dave
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2018, 22:05:51 »

Driving down Portway the other day with my brother we had a quick look at the park and ride to see if there were any signs of activity with regards to actually building the station. Apart from a bit that had been somewhat cleared of undergrowth, perhaps for the earlier ground survey, any other signs of activity were conspicuous by their absence.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2018, 10:54:42 »

Is anyone in the know if the Beach Line is running again? Don't want to pootle down to Redland Station later if the signalling issues that scuppered yesterday's services have not been fixed yet.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:00 »

Is anyone in the know if the Beach Line is running again? Don't want to pootle down to Redland Station later if the signalling issues that scuppered yesterday's services have not been fixed yet.

Normal today so far
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: