I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:40:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach Line; trains, performance, tickets and usage  (Read 60155 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2018, 13:52:58 »

Is anyone in the know if the Beach Line is running again? Don't want to pootle down to Redland Station later if the signalling issues that scuppered yesterday's services have not been fixed yet.

Normal today so far

Just had an entertaining morning trip MTP - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) - BRI - MTP, just for the fun of it. Everything seemed to be running just fine; lots of orange folk about doing this and that, and not a Lambeg drum in sight.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2018, 21:19:20 »

I saw a two-car class 165 at Temple Meads this evening.

Would that have been a recent arrival? I don't think I've seen one in the Bristol area before.

Off-peak, they'd be more suitable for the Severn Beach line than the three-car 166s.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2018, 21:20:45 »

I saw a two-car class 165 at Temple Meads this evening.

Would that have been a recent arrival? I don't think I've seen one in the Bristol area before.

Off-peak, they'd be more suitable for the Severn Beach line than the three-car 166s.

4 (?) recent arrivals.  Had one on TransWilts today

Wikipedia

On 1 July 2018, the first 165 (165132) came into service in the Bristol area
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 21:27:35 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2018, 23:26:36 »

My first trip on a 165 on the beach was three weeks ago.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2018, 00:03:51 »

My first trip on a 165 on the beach was three weeks ago.

Mine was earlier. It seemed a little unsettling, almost like a modern railway. I must have been lucky.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2018, 22:11:21 »

Last couple of days seem to have been less than trouble free on the line. Our journey to Severn Beach yesterday was not delayed but the late running earlier service stopped and turned back at Clifton after letting the on time later service through. Then today more delays journeying in the opposite direction although this was in part due to a trespass incident.
It's been more than a year since this started with the introduction of the new Turbos on the line and it still feels like the service reliability is some considerable way short of the level it was at beforehand.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2018, 07:37:25 »

06:33 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth due 07:01
06:33 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth due 07:01 will no longer call at Lawrence Hill, Stapleton Road, Montpelier, Redland, Clifton Down, Sea Mills and Shirehampton.
It has been delayed at Bristol Temple Meads and is now 31 minutes late.
This is due to this train being late from the depot.

The "Avonmouth Arrow".  Left Temple Meads at 07:04, 17 minutes to Avonmouth, arriving there 07:21. Schedule 25 minutes (working timetable) or 28 minutes (public timetable).

An interesting study of the time taken for a station stop - works out on "The Beach" as one minute per stop.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2018, 18:56:19 »

"Avonmouth Arrow", like it a lot. Don't think the non stopping service will catch on though.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2018, 19:39:21 »

A follower of mine was on it and tells me it was an interesting ride !
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2018, 20:12:14 »

A follower of mine was on it and tells me it was an interesting ride !

You are the Messiah?

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2018, 12:00:02 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) appear to be phasing in the upcoming three-week closure of the Severn Beach Line by using smaller trains and running them later. Perhaps it's a form of frogboiling; they hope we won't notice when the service stops altogether.

Here's this morning's scene at Clifton Down. You wouldn't think you could get that many people on to a 2-car 150, would you? Well to be honest it did require a certain amount of co-operation on the part of the passengers. I would have taken a photo inside the train, but I couldn't move my arms.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2018, 12:06:23 »

Here's this morning's scene at Clifton Down. You wouldn't think you could get that many people on to a 2-car 150, would you?

I thinks we could gets that number on a 153 in Wiltshire. 153 is the capacity, right?

I travelled from Salisbury to Westbury on Tuesday - around 18:40 on a Portsmouth to Carifff train - 150126. Don't think it's just The Beach that's been downsized this week!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2018, 14:45:43 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) running a nostalgia service. Reminding folk what it used to be like on the Beach Line.

Just be thankful they didn't go further back into the nostalgia. You could have had a Class 143. I rode on one yesterday down Devon way. They're still bloody awful things.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2018, 20:34:23 »

Here's this morning's scene at Clifton Down. You wouldn't think you could get that many people on to a 2-car 150, would you? Well to be honest it did require a certain amount of co-operation on the part of the passengers. I would have taken a photo inside the train, but I couldn't move my arms.

Or, to quote dear old Fred Wedlock, "I died just now, but I can't fall down!"

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2019, 09:06:02 »

All very normal at Montpelier this morning... what's the fuss about?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  Print  

Jump to: