I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:43:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Beach Line; trains, performance, tickets and usage  (Read 60160 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2019, 17:00:39 »

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did there used to be a role of 'conductor-guard' on the Severn Beach line? If so, does anyone know when this role was abolished?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2019, 21:21:58 »

All very normal at Montpelier this morning... what's the fuss about?

Reminds me of Shirehampton in January 2013.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2020, 23:19:38 »

Personal conjecture - I would put provision of a frequent, reliable service "even with pacers" ahead of running an infrequent service with better stock.  If someone experimented by running a pacer on the TransWilts, alternating the current 165/166 service with the "old bus train", even with a warning in the timetable "rickety old train that bounces around and has the loos locked out of use and is 5 minutes slower", I doubt too many people would choose to use the Turbo if the Pacer timing suited them better.

Depends on the journey, I suppose. Redland to Montpelier, maybe. But Stapleton Road...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:22:50 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2020, 07:16:55 »

Personal conjecture - I would put provision of a frequent, reliable service "even with pacers" ahead of running an infrequent service with better stock.  If someone experimented by running a pacer on the TransWilts, alternating the current 165/166 service with the "old bus train", even with a warning in the timetable "rickety old train that bounces around and has the loos locked out of use and is 5 minutes slower", I doubt too many people would choose to use the Turbo if the Pacer timing suited them better.

Depends on the journey, I suppose. Redland to Montpelier, maybe. But Stapleton Road...

What you don't want in Bristol to give you a 20 minute service, we'll welcome in Wiltshire to give us an hourly one  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:23:05 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2020, 10:18:02 »

i would have thought that they were ideal Heritage Line Stock. This is what it was like in the 21st  century, people travelled on them everyday.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:23:42 by Red Squirrel » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2020, 10:32:18 »

For a 20 minutely service on the Beach Line I'd be happy with un-refurbished ones still with their Arriva Trans Wales liveries.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:23:27 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2020, 11:11:13 »

For a 20 minutely service on the Beach Line I'd be happy with un-refurbished ones still with their Arriva Trans Wales liveries.

Absolutely!

If you set out to design a train for the Severn Beach line, the result would not look much like a 166.

On a recent trip to Penarth, I was rather envious of their 4-car Pacers running every 15 minutes; I'd be more than happy to swap!

Currently it's not quite as simple as that though; a unit that goes up and down the Clifton Extension often carries on to Great Malvern or down to Taunton, routes for which they are actually suitable! Maybe this requirement may diminish when there are more suburban services round Bristol and we can find some stock that's a better fit for this purpose, though I'm not sure what that might be or where it might come from.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:23:53 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2020, 12:32:57 »

I'd prefer a pacer over a voyager any day of the week  Kiss
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:24:04 by Red Squirrel » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2020, 14:02:31 »

I'd prefer a pacer over a voyager any day of the week  Kiss

Can we have a "laugh" button please grahame?  Grin

I understand the argument there very well. I have never been a fan of Voyagers, which I see as the typical compromise between one thing and another that ended up satisfying neither. I wouldn't like to do my last Voyager trip (Tiverton Parkway to Nottingham) on a pacer though. At least the Voyager has a toilet, even if it is all too evident on occasions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:24:16 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2020, 14:40:20 »

If you set out to design a train for the Severn Beach line, the result would not look much like a 166.

Indeed. The resultant blueprint might include features somewhat more akin to a Pacer than a 166. Will there be a class more ideally suited to Metrowest by the time it's up and running more widely? It looks like it won't be DTrain as GWR (Great Western Railway) don't seem impressed with them so far.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:24:28 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2020, 17:35:47 »

Currently it's not quite as simple as that though; a unit that goes up and down the Clifton Extension often carries on to Great Malvern or down to Taunton, routes for which they are actually suitable! Maybe this requirement may diminish when there are more suburban services round Bristol and we can find some stock that's a better fit for this purpose, though I'm not sure what that might be or where it might come from.

According to FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site)'s number cruncher, this is no longer true. Prior to to December 2019, they diagrammed things so as to give units a good run from time to time; to clear their tubes as it were. Apparently since the timetable changes they just plod up and down to the Beach or Avonmouth.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:24:39 by Red Squirrel » Logged

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2020, 21:32:31 »

[Currently it's not quite as simple as that though; a unit that goes up and down the Clifton Extension often carries on to Great Malvern or down to Taunton, routes for which they are actually suitable! Maybe this requirement may diminish when there are more suburban services round Bristol and we can find some stock that's a better fit for this purpose, though I'm not sure what that might be or where it might come from.

According to FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site)'s number cruncher, this is no longer true. Prior to to December 2019, they diagrammed things so as to give units a good run from time to time; to clear their tubes as it were. Apparently since the timetable changes they just plod up and down to the Beach or Avonmouth.

Wot I thought too, although an expert with access to diagrams could confirm or deny that. In the olden days, I used to catch one all the way from Taunton to Redland Parkway, which took longer than some holidays I have been on. However, a bit of RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) looking up shows that the 0553 from SVB hitches up to a train from Westbury and continues to Cardiff Central weekdays. The 1942 from SVB on Saturday then goes on to Worcester Shrub Hill - these are not timetabled as through trains from SVB. Sunday has one train from Exeter St Davids, two from Taunton and one from Weston super Mare, with two returns from Severn Beach to Taunton, but I think that's about it.

The ideal thing would be electric because of the short distances between stations. Not much hope at present, but it will happen one day. 30 minutes from Avonmouth is shorter than some tram journeys in Manchester, or indeed Blackpool, where the whole Starr Gate to Fleetwood Ferry is timed for 58 minutes. Few people do the whole length on a daily basis, though, unlike Avonmouth to Temple Meads. Passenger numbers are too great for trams anyway, unless the line is doubled and a 10 minute service put on.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:24:49 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2020, 06:33:42 »

... Passenger numbers are too great for trams anyway, unless the line is doubled and a 10 minute service put on.

Passenger numbers on "The Beach" - though perhaps not all the way to Severn Beach itself - are said to be doing rather well of late; excellent (almost unbelievable) figures I think I heard.  Is this due to a big increase in riders, or a big increase in revenue collection?   How long before the 3 car trains become 5 car?

Yes, we seem to be way off topic!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:24:59 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2020, 08:25:59 »

almost unbelievable

Staying resolutely off-topic, as we have been since the second or third post: [Now fixed by merging topics - RS]

Latest figures are here. The yellow bars are the ones to watch. What they show is steady, entirely believable growth with a predictable dip in 2018 when the line was shut for 3 weeks and many weekends:

We don't have passenger survey results any more, but these figures are without doubt an underestimate.

Severnside CRP (Community Rail Partnership) say:

These figures are from GWR (Great Western Railway) ticket sales allocated LENNON (Latest Earnings Nationally Networked Over-Night ) data and include only GWR journeys. Some journeys made for example on Rover tickets or employee passes, or on substitute buses, may not have been recorded. So the figures may underscore the total journeys, but this is unlikely to be significant.
Reduced Passenger figures for 2018 reflect the considerable line closures due to improvement work.

What SCRP don't say is that revenue collection is at times very poor. How many journeys go uncounted because of this is open to conjecture, but in my estimation it must be a significant number.

https://www.severnside-rail.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/13206-Severnside-Progress-Report-2020-LR.pdf
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:27:00 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2020, 09:15:14 »

Passenger numbers are too great for trams anyway, unless the line is doubled and a 10 minute service put on.

Here's a crazy suggestion for Bristol, why not bring in a metro bus service   Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:25:26 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
  Print  

Jump to: