Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:38:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The story of a thriving local railway and how it got more trains running  (Read 12239 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:57:19 »

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, about 15 years ago, there was a local railway line that connected its county town to another town about 25 minutes away by train. From a sleepy backwater a few years previously, the service had grown until there was a train shuttling back and forth along the single track pretty much all day.  But still people wanted more trains, so the powers that be added a loop in about half way along, and now there are two trains shuttling back and forth, with a half hourly service.  And every train is now just as busy as the original ones were, even through there are twice as many of them!

The line in my story if from Truro to Falmouth, and I tell it because of lessons we could learn from our own section of line from Trowbridge to Chippenham. At present, we've only got one train every 2 hours, compared to half hourly to Falmouth - even though Falmouth is much much smaller than Chippenham (or even than Melksham which is an "extra" halfway along our line).  From Chippenham to Trowbridge, we could just about manage a train each way every hour - but our line needs to allow for freight (which has been totally lost at Falmouth), and our service extends at both ends to make trunk connections at Swindon (for London) and at Westbury (for the West Country and for the south coast).

Would a system like that used for the Falmouth line work for our TransWilts between Trowbridge and Chippenham?  I had an opportunity yesterday, holidaying in the West Country, to try it out. A bustling little service, with a loop in the middle at Penryn where the trains pass each other. Penryn Station is unusual (indeed unique for the UK (United Kingdom)?) in that it has one long platform rather than two opposite each other - that has certain advantages that could well be applied to Melksham.

So - how does Penryn work?

There's a very long platform, a single track as its southern and that splits out to a double track at its northern end.

The first train to arrive is the one from Falmouth to the south, and it rusn straight the single track southern platform before passing through the split in the line and stopping at the northern end.

The second train arrives from the north, headed from Truro to Falmouth and runs past the train that's already there on the line that misses the norther platform, before joining the single line again and stopping at the southern platform.

Both trains then leave when they've completed station duties, as by this time they're at the right end of the station not to get in each other's way.

I understand that a similar scheme is use in (old East) Germany, and indeed this arrangement at Penryn is thanks to EU» (European Union - about) development funding.

As Wiltshire isn't a development area, the same funding wouldn't be available to us, but on the ground it looks rather good.  The operation was far slicker than convenstional passing systems at Maiden Newton in Dorset, and at Eggesford in Devon where the procedures for passing trains linked with the signalling systems seem to take just as long if not longer.  And the Penryn system saves the need for a second platform, and saves the need for a footbridge or other crossover access.  Prices for wheelchair friendly footbridge for Melksham are quoted in millions, and if that footbridge has a lift there's a continued running and maintenace cost at an unstaffed station; probably something best avoided.  A conventional passing loop away from a station is an alternative solution for Melksham, but that means passengers on one of the train having to wait on that train while the other one's using the single platform, or for the other one to arrive and pass.

I was impressed by the Falmouth branch and Penryn set up, and would back following their example in Wiltshire to both increase the frequency of TransWilts services, and to have those services passing each other using a Penryn style loop.  Clearly, we would tune some things for local needs - I suspect a very long Melksham Station might have cafe, toilets, etc ... especially considering that our intermediate town is virtually the same size as Falmouth which is at the end of the Cornish one.  Mind you, we don't have quite the level of tourists that Falmouth has!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:08:17 »

It's a great success story, though is it fair to say that much of the growth in traffic can be attributed to the Penryn Campus, (used by both Falmouth and Exeter Universities)  which has been developed over the last 15 years. Though chicken and egg come to mind in answering that question.

As for the application of such a loop at Melksham, I guess when point to consider is whether a passing loop needs to be long enough to accommodate a freight train (so up to 775m), or would purely be for passenger train use.   
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:57:30 »

Another option would be to double the line throughout but still only have a single bi-directional station platform with connecting crossovers at each end (similar to Malton in Yorkshire).  This would allow much greater line capacity whilst keeping station infrastructure costs to a minimum.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/25/54/3255403_9a4ab187.jpg
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:12:20 »

As for the application of such a loop at Melksham, I guess when point to consider is whether a passing loop needs to be long enough to accommodate a freight train (so up to 775m), or would purely be for passenger train use.   

Another option would be to double the line throughout but still only have a single bi-directional station platform with connecting crossovers at each end (similar to Malton in Yorkshire).  This would allow much greater line capacity whilst keeping station infrastructure costs to a minimum.

I did think about Malton (Dunbar too) ... doubling throughout would cost a lot of money - comparable to Swindon to Kemble with (I suspect) the need for a new bridge over the Avon at Staverton.  But, yes, it would add a lot of capacity.   Ironcally, single with bidirectional loop(s) could - as I understand it - provide a lay-by facility for freight trains that need to be kept out of the way as they canter from the main line that people forgot was a main line (Portsmouth to Cardiff) to the main Bristol to London line.

If the signalling is going to be the same for a short or long loop ... may as well make it a long loop even if the regular crossings are passenger trains; the trackbed in double so you're not looking at a massive scheme change.

But there are those who know much more about these options that I do who are doing a study as to what would work for Wiltshire ... and I wait to see what they come up with!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 12:46:50 »

The problem with a single line and dedicated passing loop is acurate train performance.  Once that goes out of the window the service falls apart very rapidly.  It works reasonably OK on the Falmouth line as it is isolated and has a dedicated train fleet but I'm not sure it would work so well on TRANSWILTS.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 13:41:32 »

Once a line has a mixed usage with commuter, high speed and freight, then the ability to increase throughput at regular intervals is very limited.

The cheapest option may be to add extra platforms at several stations to hold commuter trains, as the lowest priority, and slowest.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 16:23:31 »

Falmouth and penryn permanent residents plus temporary student numbers don't come close to Chippenham. Falmouth population is around 5000 greater than melshsm, probably a small number in the scheme of things.
Surely something should be justifiable.

Penryn complete with all works cost £7.8m
Despite the signage regarding the eu, Cornwall council and network rail put a considerable percentage towards the project, so don't discount the funding routes.
I haven't got the passenger increase to hand but understand it has more than justified the improvements.
We had 13 trains a day pre loop to Falmouth. I believe it's now 28!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 16:30:13 »

It's a great success story, though is it fair to say that much of the growth in traffic can be attributed to the Penryn Campus, (used by both Falmouth and Exeter Universities)  which has been developed over the last 15 years. Though chicken and egg come to mind in answering that question.

Some of the growth is down to the Penryn Campus but mainly it is because local residents have taken to the train in ever greater numbers.   Put on a half hourly service, ideally at clockface times, promote it and (as long as the basics are right) bingo!

There had been a series of incremental improvements before that, particularly with Sunday services which until 2002 had been the same as Looe - Whitsun weekend Sunday then just July and August.   The line had seen growth from the first year we had figures for - 2001.   185,000 journeys were made on the line then.  That rose to 293,026 in 2008, the last year before the loop opened and by 2012, the figure for the year had risen to 613,058, more than twice the 2008 one.  664,227 journeys were made in 2016.

I have never heard who came up with the innovative design for Penryn.  It was someone at Network Rail but their name didn't emerge at the time and hasn't since.   As part of the publicity push before the improved service was introduced, I had a working model made of Penryn station and we put it on public display in Truro, Penryn and Falmouth.  A member of this board helped operate it.  The attached photo shows Roger Webster working the model in Falmouth.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 17:28:33 »

Since initially going to half hourly it's also expanded from 2 153s to 2 2 carriage trains.

I know people who live in Falmouth who catch the train to Truro just because it's quicker than driving as Truro traffic is so bad. When I drove from Penryn to Truro it took an hour each way. I worked too far to walk if the weather was bad at Truro end, but did weekly tickets when the weather forecast was good. I knew I'd only have half hour to wait, as opposed to over an hour on the mainline.

When i was in redruth, there was a 90 min gap from 1720 to 1850 in service at peak evening from Truro!
Now in Liskeard there was a train at 1725, 1820 then Nothing till 8ish.

I'm now working in Plymouth with 0400 starts so train is out of the question

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 18:10:05 »

Thanks Richard - you've hit the nail on the head there with your own experience and comments.  The aim of replicating the Falmouth success on the main line is just why Cornwall Council have and are pushing so hard, backed by money they are contributing or have raised, for the half-hourly service across Cornwall from December next year.  I'm really looking forward to it.

In terms of the 2 153s to 2 x 2 carriage trains, GWR (Great Western Railway) managed to come up with the extra Cl 150 just as the commuter trains were beginning to really struggle to cope with demand and it was starting to hit the pages of the local press - 2012, I remember.  Both Cornwall and we (DCRP» (Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership - about)) contributed to the cost of making this possible.   
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 18:12:51 »

When i was in redruth, there was a 90 min gap from 1720 to 1850 in service at peak evening from Truro!

Some of these main line gaps have really struck me this week ... Hayle based. 06:12 to 07:55 gap towards Plymouth (so I was on my way on Monday at 05-bl**dy-30 as I'm a 30 minute walk from the station and not the way back yesterday from Truro, 15:07 to 16:28 to 17:48.  The morning gap is Hayle specific, the afternoon one effects multiple stations ... and I can't help wondering if you will see growth there at the Falmouth line rate when the services increase in a Falmouth-style way.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 18:18:14 »

Some of these main line gaps have really struck me this week ... Hayle based. 06:12 to 07:55 gap towards Plymouth (so I was on my way on Monday at 05-bl**dy-30 as I'm a 30 minute walk from the station and not the way back yesterday from Truro, 15:07 to 16:28 to 17:48.  The morning gap is Hayle specific, the afternoon one effects multiple stations ... and I can't help wondering if you will see growth there at the Falmouth line rate when the services increase in a Falmouth-style way.

Many services don't call at Hayle, I've often used st Erth and then a bus back when I've been down to Hayle by train.
Are you still in Hayle?

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 18:21:06 »

The problem with a single line and dedicated passing loop is acurate train performance.  Once that goes out of the window the service falls apart very rapidly.  It works reasonably OK on the Falmouth line as it is isolated and has a dedicated train fleet but I'm not sure it would work so well on TRANSWILTS.

Indeed, as we have seen this week, there have been problems on the Severn Beach line with trains being delayed at Clifton Down waiting for the other unit to pass.

I do like the Falmouth line - some nice places in the town and the ferry to St Mawes.

From an infrastructure point of view Penryn is an interesting example.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 18:41:22 »

Are you still in Hayle?

Yes.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 10:22:51 »

I'm not so sure either ... but where there's a requirement for capacity beyond what can currently be achieved, options - all options - need to be looked at.    "Dedicated" passing loops are already in use on both the Barnstaple and Exmouth branches, which feed in to the significant railway operations at Exeter where long distance trains can get in the way and aren't always on time ... and a northbound service running late will breed onto a similar lateness on a southbound train ... but then these are lines to destinations which have no other significant rail traffic, unlike TransWilts which is double ended and double trouble (or worse when you look at Westbury and Swindon platforming and interaction issues).

Once a line has a mixed usage with commuter, high speed and freight, then the ability to increase throughput at regular intervals is very limited.

The cheapest option may be to add extra platforms at several stations to hold commuter trains, as the lowest priority, and slowest.

I may be reading you out of context here, SimonW,  but I would put short commuter trains in the middle of the stack in priority terms - yes, get the long distance longer passenger trains out of the way first, but PLEASE don't hold up a train with over 100 commuters on it (such as our 17:36 153) to give precedence to a train of stone from Merehead to Royal Wootton Bassett.  I appreciate that the stone may be on a "just in time" program, but scheduling the train to start a bit earlier and build in a bit of slack should be the fix - not delaying commuters!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: