I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:55:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thrown off a GWR train for asking a question?  (Read 12313 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:56:31 »

From Somerset County Gazette

TELEVISION presenter Mariella Frostrup claims she was booted off a train en route to Taunton - simply for requesting information from a member of staff.

Ms Frostrup is now threatening legal action against Great Western Rail for the incident on the Paddington to Taunton train last Saturday (July 1).

She says she simply asked an employee why the train was not making a scheduled stop at Castle Cary.

I would suspect there is rather more to this story than in the report. And indeed I suspect the journalist who wrote it has the same thoughts if you read it between the lines.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 13:15:29 »

Indeed. The first response from @GWRhelp is informative on this point
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 14:03:58 »

She claims to have missed her daughter's 13th birthday party as a result, although the service was not due in to CCary until 2145.  Clearly a late birthday party then for a girl of such an age.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 14:19:52 »

I would suspect there is rather more to this story than in the report. And indeed I suspect the journalist who wrote it has the same thoughts if you read it between the lines.

Although the literate and well-informed people who wrote the comments below the article don't seem to agree.

Now, I wonder where Private Eye gets its ideas for its 'From the Message Boards' section? Hmm.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 15:13:15 by patch38 » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 14:58:15 »

Wonder if she was rude/aggressive/threatening in her manner that she asked. And I imagine if she missed her stop being thrown off would leave her somewhere closer than Taunton?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 15:26:30 »

I'm sure she reacted when it was explained that she hadn't read the departure board and that the train was bo longer acheduled to stop
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 15:48:30 »

Wonder if she was rude/aggressive/threatening in her manner that she asked. And I imagine if she missed her stop being thrown off would leave her somewhere closer than Taunton?

Wonder if the GWR (Great Western Railway) employee decided she was being rude/threatening/aggressive when merely being assertive. It happens.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 16:27:37 »

Although the literate and well-informed people who wrote the comments below the article don't seem to agree.

Now, I wonder where Private Eye gets its ideas for its 'From the Message Boards' section? Hmm.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion ... I would find it very hard to believe that a member of staff would have someone thrown off for asking a question, but others are pretty sure that the problem should be squarely laid as GWR (Great Western Railway)'s door:

Geripp4 hrs ago
Omg that's awful I hope she sues their arses

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 17:02:08 »

The story has made it to the Daily Mail - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4669490/Frostrup-threatens-legal-action-thrown-train.html

There's one interesting comment in the Mail that seems to add a new slant:

An eyewitness on the train told The Daily Mail: ‘She was having a stand up row. We couldn’t believe who it was at first. She caused a huge scene.’

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 17:19:15 »

"An eyewitness told us...", "Anonymous sources said..."

Be very wary about the veracity of these quotes in tabloid journalism.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 17:32:30 »

The daily mail eyewitness kind of confirms my expectation of the other side of the story.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 17:38:54 »

That's why I posted it. Whilst I fully concur with BNM's scepticism of tabloid journalism, the original story seemed to have a whiff of self-promotion on Ms. Frostrup's part...
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 23:15:50 »

If the train I was on didn't stop at a scheduled stop I was wanting to get off at I'd be unhappy and want to know why.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 00:53:40 »

If the train I was on didn't stop at a scheduled stop I was wanting to get off at I'd be unhappy and want to know why.

I believe she was advised why.

I can't remember exactly but wasn't there an additional service to Plymouth that evening?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 10:31:47 »

Wonder if the GWR (Great Western Railway) employee decided she was being rude/threatening/aggressive when merely being assertive. It happens.

It is the line between being rude and being threatening that is the tricky one.  Of course people shouldn't be rude, but we all know that some people are and we don't know the background circumstances which could make someone appear rude.  I'd even go so far as saying that sometimes rudeness is an entirely understandable response to perceived idiocy, or rudeness in the other direction.    I would be a strong supporter of taking a zero tolerance approach to threatening behaviour,  in my view it should be treated very similarly to how we should treat actual violence (ie genuinely threatening to punch someone should be taken as seriously as actually punching someone).  But mere rudeness is different in that it is sometimes richly deserved in the way which violence never is. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: