Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:33:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[66] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[36] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[28] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[26] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New CrossCountry and GWR Franchises, Bristol to Birmingham  (Read 6175 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« on: July 07, 2017, 14:04:34 »

Over the past few months, I have had the pleasure of standing from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) <-> BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), and on a few occasions from BPW to Cheltenham.

I appreciate that over many of the long routes that CrossCountry operate, they may be very busy over short stretches, but they have no wish to carry 'air' round the country.

Is it time that GWR (Great Western Railway) or CrossCountry ran extra trains from Bristol To Birmingham? At the moment Bristol has 32 carriages of capacity, per hour, to London, but only 8 carriages to the Midlands and North?

Surely an hourly service from Taunton, Temple Meads, Bristol Parkway, Cheltenham, Worcester Parkway(when ready), Birmingham Snow Hill?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 14:09:03 »

No terminating space at Snow Hill.....why snow hill?

brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 14:34:37 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) would need a addition rolling stock to either increase their frequency beyond half hourly between Bristol and Birmingham (& also Bham to Manchester / Sheffield / Oxford etc). The other solution is longer trains (I.e. New ones).

Neither will happen unless HMGovernment compel the new franchisee to get more and longer trains. A subsidy would probably be needed, too!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 14:46:22 »

Birmingham New Street is very busy, and Snow Hill was the GWR (Great Western Railway) station prior to British Rail, so I thought it might be suitable

I have no idea what the occupancy rate of CrossCountry trains, but many of them in the Bristol Area are >100%. Adding a few longer trains, 8 carriages, would certainly help but the cost implication of a run from Exeter to Glasgow may be negative.

Adding a train, or two, to improve connections from Bristol to Birmingham would be provide capacity where its is needed.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 14:53:00 »

There is a new XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) franchise on its way - indeed, there is a thread running on this vey board about it started by grahame. But I can't see an increase above 2tph frankly, along with the odd GWR (Great Western Railway) service towards Worcester every other hour.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 15:49:26 »

There is a new XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) franchise on its way - indeed, there is a thread running on this vey board about it started by grahame. But I can't see an increase above 2tph frankly, along with the odd GWR (Great Western Railway) service towards Worcester every other hour.

Thread is at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18422.0

North from Cheltenham, you currently have 3.5 trains per hour (2 from Bristol via Birmingham, 1 from Cardiff via Birmingham, and 0.5 to Worcester and usually Malvern).   Minimum 10 carriages per hour to Birmingham spread over 3 trains - could go up to 24 carriages if they were all 7 cars without taking any extra paths.  And the GWR franchise map mentioned above and comments with it suggested that all regular services should be at least hourly.  There's a good case for that 0.5 GWR service to Worcester to step up to a 1.0 service.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 16:09:59 »

I recall being told that the current franchise for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) did not require the company to run anything longer than the current 4-car trains. So they didn't, and weren't given the rolling stock to do any more. This was on the basis of historic passenger numbers, which quickly looked inadequate.

I have stood BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to BHM.

Now, please!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 16:35:20 »

Birmingham New Street is very busy, and Snow Hill was the GWR (Great Western Railway) station prior to British Rail, so I thought it might be suitable

I have no idea what the occupancy rate of CrossCountry trains, but many of them in the Bristol Area are >100%. Adding a few longer trains, 8 carriages, would certainly help but the cost implication of a run from Exeter to Glasgow may be negative.

Adding a train, or two, to improve connections from Bristol to Birmingham would be provide capacity where its is needed.

What route would you take to get to Snow Hill ?   That's a good one to work out
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 17:45:33 »

Interesting question, phile, because the obvious route is via Stourbridge. And that does invite the question: would there be a market for a direct service from the South-West (Bristol/Cheltenham) to Worcester, Droitwich, Kidderminster, Stourbridge, Smethwick Galton Bridge and Birmingham Snow Hill? Fairly prosperous Black Country towns and few of them with good inter-city connections.

Crayonista stuff, of course, and probably inconvenient for franchise boundaries, but an interesting possibility.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 18:08:37 »

And for the onward journey, currently involving a change at New Street?

Should MetroWest deliver a significant part of what is envisaged, some pressure will be taken off the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains currently used for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) trips.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 18:57:59 »

I recall being told that the current franchise for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) did not require the company to run anything longer than the current 4-car trains. ...

I have stood BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to BHM.

Fascinating aside thought on how people distribute themselves along a train ... case in point today, 4 car
* Front carriage around 75% of seats taken; no-one standing
* Second carriage - full and a few standing
* Third carriage - full, standing all up the aisles
* Fourth carriage - so full people were having trouble boarding at intermediate station.

Train in question?  11:52 (? my timetable shows 11:48) St Erth to St Ives which was carrying many passengers who had been planning to be on the 10:18 and on the 11:18 - disrupted journeys due to yesterday's signalling failures in the Reading to London area.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 19:13:33 »

And for the onward journey, currently involving a change at New Street?

Should MetroWest deliver a significant part of what is envisaged, some pressure will be taken off the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains currently used for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) trips.

True, but that is still a while off. Once Filton has been four tracked, it will have capacity, but I am not sure what extra trains will actually run and when.

There is still a need for extra capacity to Birmingham, and connections onto other areas.

Has XC thought about running 8xcarriage trains from Bristol to Birmingham, and split at New Street as needed?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 20:14:11 by simonw » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 20:03:08 »

some pressure will be taken off the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains currently used for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) trips.

but I am not sure what extra trains will actually run and when.

Don't forget the additional two services per hour between Paddington and TM(resolve) calling at Parkway (starting next year?)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 20:48:01 »

Interesting question, phile, because the obvious route is via Stourbridge. And that does invite the question: would there be a market for a direct service from the South-West (Bristol/Cheltenham) to Worcester, Droitwich, Kidderminster, Stourbridge, Smethwick Galton Bridge and Birmingham Snow Hill? Fairly prosperous Black Country towns and few of them with good inter-city connections.

Crayonista stuff, of course, and probably inconvenient for franchise boundaries, but an interesting possibility.

Or re-open the line between Cheltenham and Stratford on Avon much of which forms the Gloucester and Warwick Railway.    This was the route to Snow Hill in the Golden Years.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 19:24:46 »

Or re-open the line between Cheltenham and Stratford on Avon much of which forms the Gloucester and Warwick Railway.    This was the route to Snow Hill in the Golden Years.

I think many of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway folks would have something to say about this!

But I do agree.  If only BR (British Rail(ways)) hadn't been allowed so conveniently to shut the route in 1976.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: