Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:36:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus - a time to help make it a success?  (Read 8908 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 09:40:12 »

I think in this case it's a name given to a housing development, regardless of what transport facilities might or might not come about.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 09:55:12 »

Simple answer to all that.

No.

I don't live in Bristol but visit the city fairly regularly.  As a result I have an open mind about the scheme.  I haven't had to put up with the undoubted disruption its construction has/is causing which may have coloured some city residents' minds.  I don't have the luxury of a car so anything which improves public transport is a bonus for me.

As a former resident of the area would you like to summarise your concerns with the scheme so I can see both sides?

I think my concerns are best summarised by the ongoing thread elsewhere on this forum.

It's the height of folly to support a white elephant. It only encourages those who waste public funds to plan more palid pachyderm schemes.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 10:03:04 »

It's the height of folly to support a white elephant. It only encourages those who waste public funds to plan more palid pachyderm schemes.

If metrobust is a pallid pachyderm what does that make HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) ? A Machiavellian Mammoth Montrosity maybe ??

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 16:22:21 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 16:36:04 »

I read quite a bit on this forum that's not supportive of MetroBus, with relatively little than talks of it being what's right for public transport users. However, the project is nearing completion, and I wonder if now it the time to stop sniping at it and "name calling" it, and to start feeding constuctive tuning comments to the people who will be running it.    Would it be too much to suggest that public transport advocates partner with the team behind MetroBus to help market, promote, and snag the new service.   It may not be what you wanted, but isn't it an improvement on nothing, and won't you have more input into future developements if you work with (rather than against) the team providing it?

Discuss

Good luck with that, grahame. The whole project is built on mistrust and misinformation, with thinly veiled mendacity and completely unveiled threats to anyone who dares question the Powers That Be. It shows in stark relief the complete inability of our councils to run major projects, and how they are led by the nose by the unaccountable unelected oligarchy that is our LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), and by the consultants. Prior to MetroBust, I had doubts about our local councils' ability to run public transport. After the debacle (so far) I wouldn't trust them to run a bath.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 17:39:32 »

Good luck with that, grahame. The whole project is built on mistrust and misinformation, with thinly veiled mendacity and completely unveiled threats to anyone who dares question the Powers That Be. It shows in stark relief the complete inability of our councils to run major projects, and how they are led by the nose by the unaccountable unelected oligarchy that is our LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), and by the consultants. Prior to MetroBust, I had doubts about our local councils' ability to run public transport. After the debacle (so far) I wouldn't trust them to run a bath.

I'm not clear what 'support' means in this context. Personally, I won't use it, but then none of the routes are of any use to me. If I lived in Long Ashton or Bradley Stoke I might see things differently. Are you suggesting that such people should boycott it?

As to where we go from here: the answer must be 'forward'. Grahame has shown how patient engagement can reap dividends. We wouldn't choose to start here, but we can't start anywhere else.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 19:03:18 »

If, in the future, a way can be found to embed some lengths of steel and string up some leccy along the MetroBust routes, replacing the buses with trams, then I'd wholeheartedly support.

Road building disguised as bus 'improvements' was never acceptable to me. Road building to facilitate the start of a tram network would have be infinitely more preferable.

Just because MetroBust is now a fait accompli is no reason to now 'get behind it' and sing its praises.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 19:49:10 »

If, in the future, a way can be found to embed some lengths of steel and string up some leccy along the MetroBust routes, replacing the buses with trams, then I'd wholeheartedly support.

Road building disguised as bus 'improvements' was never acceptable to me. Road building to facilitate the start of a tram network would have be infinitely more preferable.

Just because MetroBust is now a fait accompli is no reason to now 'get behind it' and sing its praises.

My sentiments exactly. I had hoped that it was a stalking horse scheme for trams, but the councils' (expecially South Glos's) fixation with enlarging MetroBust showed otherwise. They refer to it as "the already successful" MetroBust, despite there having been a grand total of zero passengers carried. They only got an operator by dropping the access charges that formed part of the business case.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:15:45 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 21:32:22 »

Congrats FTN, 3,000 posts today! ☺
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 22:45:23 »

Well bugger me blow me down! I could have said something more interesting. Polemical, even. Such is life.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 12:16:19 »

...string up some leccy

As an aside, I wonder what using onboard batteries instead of overhead knitting would do the the economics of light rail.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 08:24:50 »

...string up some leccy
As an aside, I wonder what using onboard batteries instead of overhead knitting would do the the economics of light rail.
Even if the initial setup is cheaper (which I have no idea), you also have to consider that batteries are heavy and not reliable. My previous laptop lasted about five years and I hope my current one will last at least as long (prefrably longer) but the battery on both has needed replacement roughly every 1-2 years; the battery life on each charge becomes so short it is useless. So, with battery powered trams there is the potnential need for several tonnes of expensive batteries to be replaced several times during the life of a rail vehicle (not sure what the typical life span of a light-rail vehicle is, but a 40yr old battery EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) would have needed quite a few sets of new batteries over its life). If batteries could be relied upon to hold the same level of charge at every charge they would be a significantly more useful technology than they are in reality.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 11:35:55 »

...string up some leccy
Even if the initial setup is cheaper (which I have no idea), you also have to consider that batteries are heavy and not reliable. My previous laptop lasted about five years and I hope my current one will last at least as long (prefrably longer) but the battery on both has needed replacement roughly every 1-2 years; the battery life on each charge becomes so short it is useless. So, with battery powered trams there is the potnential need for several tonnes of expensive batteries to be replaced several times during the life of a rail vehicle (not sure what the typical life span of a light-rail vehicle is, but a 40yr old battery EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) would have needed quite a few sets of new batteries over its life). If batteries could be relied upon to hold the same level of charge at every charge they would be a significantly more useful technology than they are in reality.

I'm sorry to hear of your laptop woes, but I'd be interested to know what evidence you have that EV batteries are unreliable. My understanding is that in the real world that these batteries are actually retaining capacity better than anticipated and, as an aside, even when they are down to 60% capacity (which they may be after about 12 years) you still have a pretty impressive energy store which you can use elsewhere for many more years.

As to weight, here's an interesting comparison: Diesel has an specific energy of 48MJ/Kg, whereas lithium ion batteries manage an apparently paltry 0.6MJ/Kg. That's an eighty-fold difference in energy density. However if you factor in the fact that electric motors are around three times as efficient as diesel engines, you see that in terms of battery load v fuel load you'd only need to carry 25 times as much weight for equivalent range with batteries. But you wouldn't necessarily do that either; a DC (Direct Current) fast charger at the terminus could bump your batteries back up to 80% in under 30 mins, so you could probably get away with a much shorter range.

It is a practical possibility; a number of manufacturers already offer 100% electric buses, with quoted ranges of 100-300km. Zonda Bus quote a battery lifespan of 500,000Km+.

I just can't help thinking the technology would work even better on rails.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 12:19:42 »

So it would, with the vast reduction in friction, and the ability to coast once at a good speed.

Now, please!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2017, 16:14:07 »

It is a practical possibility; a number of manufacturers already offer 100% electric buses, with quoted ranges of 100-300km. Zonda Bus quote a battery lifespan of 500,000Km+.

Well, it should work for trams at least as well as for buses (after all, the Midland Metro are going to use batteries on sections I believe); but how the ongoing costs:benifits work out compared to a tram system with overhead wires installed (like Manchester's and the other parts of the Midland Metro) is an open question.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: