Train RunningCancelled
09:33 Reading to Basingstoke
10:26 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 09:49:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Parkway to shut for two weeks  (Read 10150 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« on: July 11, 2017, 14:45:49 »

The Bristol Evening Post is reporting

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local-news/bristol-parkway-close-completely-two-186410

This will last from September 2nd (2017) to Sunday 17th (2017) to allow the fourth platform, Platform 1, to be built.

Is i necessary to shut the station for two weeks for this? It didn't shut for two weeks when Platform 4, the third platform, was added.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 14:57:33 »

shutting for two weeks will undoubtedly be cheaper than keeping the trains running.  Personally, I think it hard to justify, although I might be persuaded that it is the right decision if the closure is also used to sort out other work needed for electrification of the route.  If that part of the route is closed at Christmas for electrification work (for example in the Chipping Sodbury tunnel) then I will not be impressed by NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s project planning. 
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 15:15:48 »

Other works are also involved in that area, as discussed on this thread
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 15:27:25 »

That was my guess too, after all major platform work at Temple Meads is only taking a few days.

The big shame about this work, is that once BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) is shut, no other station nearby (Patchway and Abbey Wood) has space for 200-300 bicycles, or good bus services. So my current journey to|from Bristol of 30 minutes by bike+train, will be 40 minutes in the morning and anything up to 90 minutes in the evening.

Shame that MetroBus hasn't happened yet! I could have tried it for two  weeks!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 16:48:31 »

That was my guess too, after all major platform work at Temple Meads is only taking a few days.

The big shame about this work, is that once BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) is shut, no other station nearby (Patchway and Abbey Wood) has space for 200-300 bicycles, or good bus services. So my current journey to|from Bristol of 30 minutes by bike+train, will be 40 minutes in the morning and anything up to 90 minutes in the evening.

Isn't that typical of what passes for joined up thinking in the WoE. Never was an acronym more apt !
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 17:44:46 »

The replacement of the Hatchet Road overbridge is to take place during this closure and NR» (Network Rail - home page) are taking advantage to have 24 hr / 7 day a week working to install piles and erect stantions on the Westerleigh Junction to Parkway line and also on the Charfield line towards Yate station to enable the 80X trains to reverse back to Parkway on the down line in cases of emergencies arising after a London service had departed Parkway. The up Charfield line being signalled for two way running at this location. The up London line was signaled for two way working but this facility was removed a few years ago as it hadn't been used since the facility was installed although the signal gantries which held the controlling down signals for the up London line may still be in situ as they are the location of the down line signals. Also Cheltenham - London services are diverted via Parkway, I suppose the installation of OHL (Over-Head Line) from Westerleigh Jct. towards Yate will be used for up pantograph / down pantograph actions for such diverted services as there is a PW (Permanent Way) speed restriction over this stretch of curved track.

Apart from peak hours London services will also NOT be calling at Parkway in the previous 2 week period either as electrification will close the line from Westerleigh to Wotton Bassett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 18:12:00 »

The replacement of the Hatchet Road overbridge...

My understanding is that this bridge is to be repaired and strengthened, not replaced:

The brick arch structure of the Hatchet Road bridge will undergo repairs and reinforcement works as well as track level works.

Source: Stoke Gifford Journal

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 18:58:29 »

Shame they can't replace both bridges and widen the road to allow two proper width pavements, cycle path and the two current traffic lanes.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 19:45:55 »

The replacement of the Hatchet Road overbridge...

My understanding is that this bridge is to be repaired and strengthened, not replaced:

The brick arch structure of the Hatchet Road bridge will undergo repairs and reinforcement works as well as track level works.

Source: Stoke Gifford Journal

Will know more tomorrow after a progress meeting.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 21:40:02 »

Splutter -splutter - pah!

Just spat hot tea over my laptop! Go on, get out of here!

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 21:41:31 »

Splutter -splutter - pah!

Just spat hot tea over my laptop! Go on, get out of here!

Just as well it was there - might have spat it in your lap otherwise.   Grin
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 17:50:40 »

Lol. I would rather work from home than try that [....] Metrobus. Better still, from where I live, I would use the number 18 bus (soon to be split into 10, 11 & 11A) and go to Patchway station that way if I had to.

Dave
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 18:41:03 »

Come home this evening through Westerleigh to have a nose at whats happening around Westerleigh Junction.

A number of uprights for the OHL (Over-Head Line) have been erected on the piles already constucted from Westerleigh Junction towards Bristol Parkway itself. I could see 4 sets in all but couldn't stop as there was a line of traffic behind me and the road isn't particular wide through the village.

Might take a walk out later as its a pleasant evening to see what has happened east of the junction in the past two weeks.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 19:31:13 »

Out of interest, why is XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) running via Newport? I recall the Newport resignalling scheme specifically included provision to reverse at STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station). Is this another example of an infrastructure improvement that was a good idea other than nobody ever thought to ask the TOC (Train Operating Company) whether it was actually needed?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 20:09:25 »

Connections with GWR (Great Western Railway) who don't tend to stop their HSTs (High Speed Train) there?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: