Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:22:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor use of a HST.  (Read 10503 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: July 12, 2017, 18:23:58 »

I gather its a compulsary element of The franchise so this isn't a rant at GWR (Great Western Railway) but the dft.

I've been regularly catching the 1530 train from Truro to Par (Penzance to Par service) over the last fortnight. 2p82 I believe which connects to 1A82 at Par which is a Newquay to Paddington service.
I'm growing frustrated with the overcrowding on the unit, especially seeing the HST (High Speed Train) coming off the branch empty.
Today for example, 2P82 was operated by 150202 which has 3+2 seating. From Truro every single seat was taken, and my carriage had around 30 people standing, all in the doors ways as the aisles are so narrow! From St Austell it picked up a large number and only a few got off, which then became very cosy, with bodily contact from all directions squeezing in.
We arrived at Par around 1 minute before the HST came off the branch, so I positioned myself where the rear most carriage would be. As it passed I counted 8 passengers, a further 4 drunks were in coach A not being quiet!
I walked through the length of the train looking at reservations, a vast majority of all the reservations were Par origins, further evidencing passengers arriving from the Penzance unit.
I've used the Newquay HST several weekdays last summer and had my own private carriage between Par and Newquay. Fridays have been the only journeys I've seen decent passenger numbers.
Why do the dft insist on GWR running a daily to Newquay from Paddington, when quite frankly my observations suggest a 153 would be over capacity! That HST would be far better utilised where the passengers actually are, Truro, st Austell and west Cornwall.
A Friday only HST would make a little more sense being change over day at most holiday parks.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 20:51:35 »

What happens to the high summer through London train from Newquay when IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) take over all the current 2 + 8 services?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 20:59:45 »

My thought on that is a 5car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), likely joining with another 5car at PLY» (Plymouth - next trains), poss Fridays only
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 21:36:43 »

Having a 5 + 5 splitting at Plymouth would probably be ideal in many scenarios including the example given in the original post.

If one portion is likely to be quieter then run this calling at all (major) stops between Plymouth and Par whilst run the other non-stop.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 21:49:51 »

A good example of where portion operation may well be beneficial in providing more stations with a direct train without risking any crowding problems.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 21:51:04 »

Indeed, the other 5 could go all stations from/to PNZ
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 22:56:57 »

Portion working IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) for these services (1452 Penzance-Par and 1506 Newquay-Paddington) sounds ideal, but what about the 1610 Par-Newqay? That would still need diagramming. Currently formed using the unit that came up from Penzance.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 23:04:52 »

A good example of where portion operation may well be beneficial in providing more stations with a direct train without risking any crowding problems.

Doesn't Newquay need gauge clearance work for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)? That's not on the CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) work plan at the moment. Penzance wasn't on the core IEP routes at the start of CP5; by the time of the Hendy review Penzance, but none of the branches, had been added. So while the current SLC (Service Level Commitment) calls for at least one through train to London per day, will that continue?

Well, there is now a modified SLC (3a) to account for "From Dec 18: WoE and certain other services formed rolling stock new to the Greater Western Franchise.)" It still includes the through trains to Newquay, about which it says: "1.3 Services may be joined with services specified in Route B or Route H2, with one train fulfilling the requirements of both Routes." B and H2 are the fast and stopping trains to Penzance, and for B it says:
3.10 Newquay
On Summer Saturdays one service from London Paddington and one service to London Paddington shall call. On Mondays to Fridays during the period from the first weekend in July to the last weekend in August, one service shall call in each direction.

So, I hope they do fit. Unless there will still be some other stock running between December 2018 and the end of the Franchise?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 05:15:19 »

Doesn't Newquay need gauge clearance work for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)? That's not on the CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) work plan at the moment. Penzance wasn't on the core IEP routes at the start of CP5; by the time of the Hendy review Penzance, but none of the branches, had been added. So while the current SLC (Service Level Commitment) calls for at least one through train to London per day, will that continue?

My thought too

Portion working IEPs for these services (1452 Penzance-Par and 1506 Newquay-Paddington) sounds ideal, but what about the 1610 Par-Newqay? That would still need diagramming. Currently formed using the unit that came up from Penzance.

Such a major recast is planned on the Cornish Main Line that this question probably changes - though the question of where the stock goes / comes from before / after a break from a regular pattern remains an excellent one.

<advocate mode=devil>Whilst logic suggests that the longer (and long distance) train be used on the busier route, if the traffic on the quieter route at this time of day is mostly long distance, and on the busier route is mostly shorter distance, isn't it correct to run the long, long distance train on the quieter route just this once a day in order to provide something for through passengers. Remember you loose nearly half of them to rail if you make them changes, whereas the busier route already has a good variety of through long distance trains so there isn't that loss to rail - rather a transfer of passengers to trains that run an hour or two earlier or later</advocate>

150202 is gauge cleared all the way from Newquay into Paddington, I'm sure ...  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:10:25 »

Is the 2tph service to PNZ scheduled for Dec18?....so a 15x to Par to pick up the Newquay train would still meet that....
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 12:42:06 »

<advocate mode=devil>Whilst logic suggests that the longer (and long distance) train be used on the busier route, if the traffic on the quieter route at this time of day is mostly long distance, and on the busier route is mostly shorter distance, isn't it correct to run the long, long distance train on the quieter route just this once a day in order to provide something for through passengers. Remember you loose nearly half of them to rail if you make them changes, whereas the busier route already has a good variety of through long distance trains so there isn't that loss to rail - rather a transfer of passengers to trains that run an hour or two earlier or later</advocate>

150202 is gauge cleared all the way from Newquay into Paddington, I'm sure ...  Grin

By this theory making newquay passengers change at Par we would have lost 6 passengers yesterday, whereas had those from Penzance to Par had a through train we would have gained a 150 3+2 worth of seating plus the value of the standees!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 13:38:19 »

Probably the only reason that runs as an HST (High Speed Train) to Newquay is it fits in with the rest of the service and meets a franchise requirement. Outside of the Summer timetable that HST service would normally start from Plymouth at 1657. At a guess I would imagine there's not a HST available to run all the way down to Penzance in order to work back up hence why it's a unit.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: