Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:22:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Late night service - more than just a train - also a social and economic enabler  (Read 5052 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:20:28 »

From The Stage

Decline of public transport is a key threat to regional theatres

Today, travelling by public transport to watch an evening performance at the RSC has become reserved strictly for the die-hards

Everyone should train for the stage" was a 1980s slogan that ran on one of British Rail’s many advertising campaigns to promote using train travel to the theatre.

Last week, The Stage’s associate editor Mark Shenton highlighted the challenges he faced travelling out of London to review a production.

He is not alone. The declining service provided by public transport enabling audiences to watch a performance may not be getting the same coverage as some other challenges facing the arts today, but it is just as significant.

A few weeks ago, I travelled to Stratford-upon-Avon to watch a Royal Shakespeare Company production. Over many years, trains have carried tourists and theatregoers alike to enjoy the city’s world-famous attractions. But, in the past 18 months, Chiltern Railways (this rail network’s operator), decided to scrap all direct services between London and Stratford-upon-Avon that could connect audiences with a performance.

Passengers are now left facing a fast change of train at one of the smaller stations en route. However, any delay (and an infrequent service) risks leaving you stranded for a long-time. If you are planning to return that same night after watching a performance, towards the end of Act II you start to dread the journey that awaits.

The Royal Shakespeare Company (working with a bus company) used to jointly run a nightly post-show bus service that connected you with the last train from Coventry directly back to London, but this stopped some years ago.

Instead, the only public transport available is a 23.15 train from Stratford-upon-Avon that travels to Oxford. If London is your final destination, by the time you reach Oxford (if you're delayed and miss the onward connection) it's a transfer on to the Oxford Tube bus, which runs all night. In either case, you roll into London in the early hours of the morning. Finally, if you want one last kick in the teeth, this late-night train service from Stratford-Upon-Avon only runs Monday to Friday.

I used to enjoy travelling to Stratford-upon-Avon on a Saturday and catching both a matinee and evening performance. Today, travelling by public transport to watch an evening performance at the RSC has become reserved strictly for the die-hards.

I use the RSC as one example, but post-theatre public transport is a continuing problem throughout the UK (United Kingdom). Even watching a show in London sees many of the last trains back to other major towns and cities having left before the evening performance has ended.

Although the story is from Stratford-upon-Avon, I'm posting here to point out from a different perspective to our usual one just how important the late evening service is to the social, leisure, cultural and economic life of the areas it serves.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:26:13 »

Good article.It just further reinforces that the train will never be a viable all round alternative to the car.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:05:57 »

It ought to be in the Chiltern board?

Saturday's problem is caused by NR» (Network Rail - home page), who refuse to open the line/provide a signallers turn.

Also, the RSC know that 2315 is the last oppertunity NR provide to run a southbound service, and could start their performances at 1930, rather than later....very few Shakespeare plays run over 3 hours
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:15:46 »

Over many years, trains have carried tourists and theatregoers alike to enjoy the city’s world-famous attractions.

As a minor point - when did Stratford-upon-Avon become a city?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 10:20:20 »

Good article.It just further reinforces that the train will never be a viable all round alternative to the car.

I'm not sure anyone would argue that trains alone could ever be 'a viable all round alternative to the [private] car'. But for many people the convenience of not having to worry about parking, not having to say 'no' to a second pint, and not having to drive in the dark may outweigh the possible inconvenience of a short walk to the station and maybe a tube or taxi at the other end. A later last train on the Severn Beach line, for example, would open up all sorts of opportunities for travelling to entertainments in Clifton, central Bristol, Bath and beyond.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:39:08 »

Also, the RSC know that 2315 is the last oppertunity NR» (Network Rail - home page) provide to run a southbound service, and could start their performances at 1930, rather than later....very few Shakespeare plays run over 3 hours

I think you're misreading his point (it's not well explained). It's not the 23:15 time that's the new problem; it's been at that time for decades. It used to run through to Paddington and arrive before 1:30, though that is hardly a convenient time. Now it's a quick change at Oxford onto the Banbury train, which being a stopper doesn't get in until after 2:00, and adds the option of missing the connection.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:50:04 »

The connection does normally get held at Oxford unless it's very late.  I remember the days when Thames Trains/FGWL used to run it through to Paddington from Stratford and there was often nobody on it travelling from Stratford to London even then.  It's simply too late to arrive back in London to put most people off.

Much more could be done regarding the daytime service though, which has really stagnated under Chiltern.  Of course, the Greater Western franchise deal, which was never let in the end, allowed the holder to resume services to Stratford.  Hopefully that will feature in the specifications for the new franchise?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:54:36 »

It's certainly being pushed hard by certain people!

Even if it ran non-stop via Oxford, which it would never do, it's almost a 2 hour journey. The RSC think it's not late enough, so a 1am arrival isn't likely.

They need to be realistic - a night out in Stratford from London is going to be a very late night indeed.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:14:13 »

It would help if theatres and concert venues gave running times of their shows where possible.  It's very hard to choose public transport with confidence if you're not sure if you are going to have to bail out early.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:59 »

Agreed, but the RSC are quite good at that.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 11:19:21 »

I wonder if Chiltern could extend the current Oxford service to Marylebone, reversing at Oxford. But I tend to agree with ChrisB's point that the solution is in the RSC's hands by starting at 7.30, if they think the market is big enough - which I suspect it isn't.

(On the rare occasions I need to go to Stratford in the daytime, I've taken to getting the train to Honeybourne then cycling along NCN 41 to Stratford - ten very easy, flat miles. Wouldn't recommend it at night though!)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 11:25:51 »

Looking at the current last train from OXF» (Oxford - next trains) to MYB (London (Marylebone)), I suspect NR» (Network Rail - home page) might have something to say about a train leaving OXF around 0030. But non-stop, it might shave off 30mins.

However, you'd be surprised the number that use the current return of that train to BAN at 0040 (certainly Thurs/Fri)!!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 21:23:46 »

Over many years, trains have carried tourists and theatregoers alike to enjoy the city’s world-famous attractions.

As a minor point - when did Stratford-upon-Avon become a city?

June 2006 is the earliest I can date it back to. The Daily Telegraph is never mistaken so it must be true.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/cities/3350563/City-spotlight-Stratford-Upon-Avon.html
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:05 »

The Daily Telegraph is never mistaken so it must be true.

Funny, isn't it? Some people don't quite get the fact that Wikipedia is a secondary source; so whilst you'd be advised (by Jimmy Wales, among others) to treat its information with caution, any half-well-written article will cite primary sources which are authoritative. Like the Stratford Town Council website, from which one could infer that Stratford considers itself to be a town.

As to the Torygraph: good for chips; bit rough for other uses.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: