Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:59:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jumbo freight train leaves Cardiff  (Read 6118 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2017, 19:30:35 »

Unsure where to post, so have included it under 'improved' service.

History has been made with the first jumbo train of 34 wagons and 660 metres long departing from Associated British Ports rail terminal in Cardiff and travelling to Acton in London.

Full article here

I assume this was the service in question
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 19:36:18 »

I thought I'd read somewhere or other that freight trains in the UK (United Kingdom) could be up to 750m. Perhaps that's an overall maximum limit rather than a regularly used size?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 20:25:30 »

I think the max for intermodals is 775m and where possible loops are being lengthened to accommodate this (or maybe a 775m loop accommodates a 750m train?).

I'm guessing heavy haul trains will generally be heavier per metre and thus shorter on average given the need to have a reasonable power to weight ratio.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 20:31:33 »

I thought I'd read somewhere or other that freight trains in the UK (United Kingdom) could be up to 750m. Perhaps that's an overall maximum limit rather than a regularly used size?

An overall maximum limit? That might be very practical, but nothing like as much fun as the current arrangements. The published rules for goods train lengths (passenger trains being limited by platform lengths) basically say "ask Network Rail". There is a specific rule in the Western Route Sectional Appendix )page 59P) about engineering trains, which says in part:
These trains are authorised to transit between their operating bases and engineering possessions in excess of the normal route length limits on Western and Wales Routes provided that a suitable train path has been identified.
The train identification used and maximum lengths (including locomotives) are as follows:
HOBC (High Output Ballast Cleaner) 6Y07 or 6Y15   127 SLUs 811 metres 887 yards 2659 feet
MOBC 6Y19              105 SLUs 670 metres 733 yards 2198 feet
TRS 6X01 or 6X04     117 SLUs 744 metres 813 yards 2439 feet

Now those trains may need to go places long goods trains don't, so the implied limit of less than 670 m may be quite local. Elsewhere, I suspect there desired length which (as John R says) the relevant routes are being adapted to provide.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 20:40:55 »

So it's probably the longest out of Cardiff rather than the longest ever. It's certainly long in any case!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 20:49:09 »

In 2015, SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) were boasting they had run the "longest train in Europe" at 1500 m. It was made by coupling two trains together, and may in any case have needed locomotive effort in the middle. The second loco was driven from the first over a wireless link. The report refers to "70 wagons rather than 35 in a classic train of 750 m", implying that is some kind of common European standard of acceptable length.

There is more on the project which suggests 1000 m "double" trains might operate routinely from next year, the trials being run to see what bits of infrastructure didn't like long trains. They did not really go far; just from Sibelin (near Lyon) to Nîmes. French railways have a number of freight routes that can already take 850 m, but Germany has only a single long-train route with a limit of 835 m.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 03:19:53 »

Unless my memory is playing up, wasn't the first Jumbo Freight train to run in the UK (United Kingdom) a laden stone train from the Somerset quarries a few years ago or doesn't the reporter filing this story classify stone train traffic as freight ?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 03:47:50 »

Unless my memory is playing up, wasn't the first Jumbo Freight train to run in the UK (United Kingdom) a laden stone train from the Somerset quarries a few years ago or doesn't the reporter filing this story classify stone train traffic as freight ?

According to Wikipedia

On 26 May 1991 Kenneth J Painter (59005) (with assistance from Yeoman Endeavour) set the European haulage record, with a stone train weighing 11,982 tonnes and 5,415 feet (1,650 m) long. However the so-called 'mega train' experiment was not very successful, as a coupling in the centre of the train broke

The Wikipedia entry does include citation back to a printed source.

See also Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvTZMBR28z8

Freightliner Class 66 no. 66526 (front) 66623 (rear) change drivers at York while working 6Y50 03:45 Northallerton to Doncaster Up Decoy engineers train on Saturday 24th July 2010. (46 wagons = 2526 feet = 770 metres = 2860 tonnes)

On this latter, you need to watch "load" v "weight" when comparing - the York train was mostly the weight of the train (I suspect) but the Cardiff report talks about the load which is in addition to the rolling stock weight. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 19:44:50 »

In Canada, trains 4,000m long can be seen, according to the National Post. But then everything over there is bigger, heavier, hairier and more frequent than here...

I can't see we would ever get a train of a length that meant it could be in three stations at the same time.

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 20:07:48 »

Indeed, I've seen a few trundle slowly through Winnipeg. They seem to be passing you forever.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 20:18:17 »

In Canada, trains 4,000m long can be seen, according to the National Post. But then everything over there is bigger, heavier, hairier and more frequent than here...

I can't see we would ever get a train of a length that meant it could be in three stations at the same time.

...and the container trains are usually double deck as well Shocked  About 3 years ago I travelled across Canada by train (Toronto to Vancouver) and its amazing how many of those trains you pass in 4 days Smiley
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 20:23:24 »

About 3 years ago I travelled across Canada by train (Toronto to Vancouver) and its amazing how many of those trains you pass in 4 days Smiley

A friend who thought he was a railway buff did the same journey many years ago. He said he sat spellbound in the observation car as city gave way to forests, rivers, and mountains, and went to bed happy. Day 2 was more of the same, and he found he drank more than on day 1. By day 3, when he woke to find the only change being the direction the rivers were flowing, he had had enough.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:20 »

................does that include women?  Shocked
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 19:04:09 »

................does that include women?  Shocked

I couldn't possibly comment!

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: