09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:28:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chat System  (Read 9957 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 18, 2017, 15:06:16 »

I am testing an online messaging system - if you're logged in, you may see a live chat box at the bottom right of your screen.   Please feel free to chat.

This is an EXPERIMENT and please don't expect it to be permanent!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 15:26:51 »

I've had a go but not sure if it worked..... Huh
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 15:29:42 »

Others have to be in there with you.

I think you can also have private chats with those you invite to join you too, otherwise its just like a pub conversation where anyone wothin earshot (or present in the chat session) can and do join in
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 15:48:51 »

It's an answering system for a company not a chat room ... haven't seen either of the tow of you who have posted, but did have another members stop by and say "hello".   Without  a 24 x 7 presence it's unlikely to be staying of blog but, yes, help me test it. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 16:10:52 »

I have just switched to "Away" .... will be on again to do further testing later.

Having a facility like this would be a very serious volunteer resource requirement ... so I'm handing it with care. NOT public visible (members have to be logged in to see it) ... will think about what I have learned over the next 48 hours

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 18:53:20 »

Thought I'd had an unauthorised widget added to my phone.

No thanks.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 19:22:59 »

Thought I'd had an unauthorised widget added to my phone.

No thanks.

I am testing an online messaging system - if you're logged in, you may see a live chat box at the bottom right of your screen.   Please feel free to chat.

This is an EXPERIMENT and please don't expect it to be permanent!

This is an experiment.  Please don't expect it to be permanent.  I am testing something out for a client, and the forum gives me somewhere to learn / do so for a few hours.  Rare opportunity to get something back for the free space I give the forum on our server.

Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 21:47:46 »

Thought I'd been hacked!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 22:58:09 »

I just sent a test message on it..
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 05:56:19 »

For readers who are NOT logged in, the "chat system" we are talking about here is only visible to registered and logged in users.  There's a longer explanation posted ((here)) in our regular poster's area as to the reasons this suddenly appeared rather than having it well trailed and consulted on in advance.   My apologies to members who worried that they had a security issue with their devices because of the sudden appearance of an extra element on the pages we serve to them.

Confirming yesterday's comment ... I would be gobsmacked if this were to remain here permanently in this form. The icon is intrusive, and the extra work generated for the person / team answering could be significant to put it mildly.

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:23:40 »

Worked well for me thank you.  Not sure if/how I'd use it as asking a new question on the forum will invariably receive many answers in due course.
Your efforts are appreciated at all times.

Thanks,
Richard

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 12:17:11 »

I'm now getting a chat box being offered, which needs manually minimising to a 'speak to us' icon. I'd suggest the icon is good (although a tad large), but don't have the chat box displayed until the icon is clicked on.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:47 »

I'm now getting a chat box being offered, which needs manually minimising to a 'speak to us' icon. I'd suggest the icon is good (although a tad large), but don't have the chat box displayed until the icon is clicked on.

Agree with this.  The chat box is very prominent, but perhaps that could be a good thing for the site it could be used on.
However, if you don't want it, it spring up within a minute or so then you have to minimise it.
For me would be to keep minimised unless wanted or used.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 12:56:49 »

I have added a "chat on / off" selector in the top menu bar so that you can keep it switched off until you want / need the facility (if it stays).

It might turn out to be a useful way for people who are having trouble signing in to get in touch with us - so it's there and on by default, but switchable off whether or not you're logged in.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: