Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:51:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for later service(s) from Bristol (and Bath) to Chippenham (and Swindon?)  (Read 15621 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 08:00:34 »

Follow up question I am asked - "what about students"?

* Some rail companies and lines provide specific offers, for example:
https://www.grandcentralrail.com/special-offers/nus-discount/

* Check for school season tickets - I don't know of any Heart of Wessex ones, but here's the Sevenside link:
http://www.severnside-rail.org.uk/school.html

* In general, the young person's railcard is useful from ages 16 to 25, not just for students
https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk

There is no general "student fare" on trains.   Once you're 16, 50% fares are a thing of the past and you move up to 66% of fares through a 16 to 25 railcard, or 100% fares where you're making a journey that doesn't cover.   Students who can hold a disabled railcard should take a look at that as it's likely to offer a wider range of services that can be discounted to 66%.

P.S. I feel a thread split coming on ... this ain't late night trains to Chippenham and Swindon ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 11:48:07 »

Before you do - oh what generosity between peak & off-peak return - a whole 10p!!!

You need to tidy up the URL above as it's currently broken.

2. and 3. Frome to Bath Rail fares are tabulates at http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=FRO» (Frome - next trains)&dest=BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:05:27 by ChrisB » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 11:59:39 »

Before you do - oh what generosity between peak & off-peak return - a whole 10p!!!

You need to tidy up the URL above as it's currently broken.

2. and 3. Frome to Bath Rail fares are tabulates at http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=FRO» (Frome - next trains)&dest=BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains).

Automatic URL highlighting issue - I have fixed the specific link in the original post and in the quoting here.  You'll need to do it in your quote, ChrisB  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 12:06:01 »

You omitted the url + /url operatives. All fixed in my post too
NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 14:44:19 »

There is a slightly later X31 (but run by first as it's council funded I believe) bus that leaves Bath at 23:00 for Chippenham, though obviously a lot longer journey that the train.  Gives you an extra 15 mins if your Chippenham pax, and cheaper than a taxi.
I am not looked at what other onward travel options (if any) this bus would give you upon it's arrival in Chippenham.
I've heard this bus then runs empty back to it's depot in Bath
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 13:41:27 »

In the interest of primary research I sampled 2C36 from Bath to Frome last evening. This is the first occasion I have used this service for "some time." The stock was a 3-car 158 and therefore, if this is the standard arrangement, then suggestions above for diverting a unit to SWI» (Swindon - next trains)/WSB» (Westbury - next trains) will not easily apply. The overall concept remains a very useful aim and not too difficult to arrange.

The service was perhaps about 40-50% seats taken last evening with general good behaviour. The conductor was visible and pro-active. I also casually noted several 158's parked at WSB with only 1 x 150 present (not a full survey!)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 13:49:19 »

I don't think the proposal was to divert that service via SWI» (Swindon - next trains) (would take far too long), but to run an additional service around 2300.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 14:47:58 »

I don't think the proposal was to divert that service via SWI» (Swindon - next trains) (would take far too long), but to run an additional service around 2300.

The final Bristol to Frome train has been running much of the time as 6 carriages (I appreciate that it may be less due to extra maintenance at the moment) with 2 carriages locked out of use.

Proposal was to run a 4 carriage train as at present, and a 2 carriage train a few minutes earlier / later from Bristol, calling Bath, Chippenham and Swindon, then running from Swindon to Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge and Westbury.  Practicallity at reasonable price subject to (a) the stock needing to move from Bristol to Westbury next year too when the diagrams have been amended and (b) existing crew having hours on their shift available to run it.  Failure on either of those points and it would probably need a financial sponsor, or to be written in to the next franchise.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 19:11:41 »

Looking at various Facebook posts (as one does ....) relating to Swindon, I came across an active and somewhat angry discussion about the cost of late night (after the last train) taxis from Chippenham to Swindon ...

Fits the pattern of confirming demand

Makes me wonder (again) if off-peak fares could end at 10 p.m.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 11:26:03 »

Like the taxi fares rise around that time?....interesting thought
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 14:01:12 »

As a regular commuter (and newbie on here) between WSM and Temple Meads I know too well the problems about "last" trains home

As we stand the below are the last trains on each of these evenings from Temple Meads back to WSM:

MONDAY 23:36
TUESDAY 23:36
WEDNESDAY 23:36
THURSDAY 23:36
FRIDAY 23:36
SATURDAY 22:17
SUNDAY 23:12

I've always been amazed that there is a later service on a Sunday evening rather than a Saturday
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 14:24:25 »

Engineering possessions are generally taken on a Saturday night so that NR» (Network Rail - home page) can check the line.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2017, 17:19:07 »

As a regular commuter (and newbie on here) between WSM and Temple Meads I know too well the problems about "last" trains home

As we stand the below are the last trains on each of these evenings from Temple Meads back to WSM:

MONDAY 23:36
TUESDAY 23:36
WEDNESDAY 23:36
THURSDAY 23:36
FRIDAY 23:36
SATURDAY 22:17
SUNDAY 23:12

I've always been amazed that there is a later service on a Sunday evening rather than a Saturday

When a service is specified as part of a franchise or management contract, one of the elements specified usually relates to the times of the first and last train. For example "The first train will arrive into Thamesdown Central no later than 08:30 and the last train will leave no earlier than 17:30".

The issues of first and last trains are very much on the radar for the next Great(er) Western franchise. The team putting together a draft specification on which to have a public discussion / consultation next year have sought inputs as to where passengers would like to see first and last train updates ... far from cast in stone, of course, but a sensible idea of where to start the fine tuning from.

Bristol to Weston-super-mare isn't the only service to finish earlier on a Saturday, by the way - Westbury to Swindon is another, with a last train at about 18:30 on Saturday and after 19:30 the rest on the week.   Sunday evenings can be very busy with longer distance traffic, so the later services that night aren't a surprise even if buses - typically shorter distance - are thinnest on a Sunday evening.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: