Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:32:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Major database outage  (Read 18707 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 30, 2017, 10:05:09 »

At about 5 to 8 this morning, our database server crashed badly; I am still looking in to what happened.

I have re-installed the MySQL server and data from backups and currently testing.   I don't think that any posts were lost.

Will report back later with an analysis ... stopping now for breakfast  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:53:29 »

Thanks grahame....treat yourself to an extra sausage😉
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:00:13 »

Hear Hear! 😃
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:05:29 »

Hear Hear! 😃

Two extra black pudding portions as well  Cheesy

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 13:10:53 »

As part of the restoration, my original blog from 7th September 2005 to 13th March 2009 is back online via http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/isay.html

Most interesting to look back

17th August 2008

A handful of ideas

Swanage - extend service to Wareham; add regular trains to provide genuine public transport service along with heritage traffic. If slam-doors are safe for a preserved line, surely they're even safer for the regular user that the line would build up?

Minehead - extend regular service to Taunton.

Didcot - to be the base for a tourist (and I'm looking at tourist from overseas too here!) service from Oxford to Salisbury.

All three of the above are seriously extending the "season" - and I am going so far as suggesting a week-round, year-round operation. That could also apply to Kingswear, where there's an argument for an extension to Newton Abbot, giving a single-change London connection from Kingswear and Churston-for-Brixham.

1st September 2007

How to fill platforms, and railway company coffers too!

Give us the trains .... and we'll turn this:

into this:

Two West Wiltshire stations, each serving towns with a population of between 20 and 30 thousand. The biggest difference? One has two trains a DAY each way, and the other has two trains an HOUR each way.

The road network of West Wiltshire is not suitable for longer distance journeys between North and South - and only a huge investment would improve this. What's the point im making that huge investment when there's a perfectly good railway corridor that's underutilised and that people WOULD use.

7th November 2006

End of term - don't care

This Monday morning on the Transwilts started with a cancellation - the very first return trip of the week failed to make it, making this (already) the third week out of four that we've suffered cancellations - and we have so few trains anyway that even one round trip cancelled is already a service that's 3.5% down on what it should be - more that twice the objective that's set by the Department for Transport for the operator. Oh - in two of the past weeks, the cancellation rate was around the 10% mark.

This evening, I'll be attending the talk in Trowbridge by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s guy in the South West - the one who's job it is, as I understand it, to represent the region / area to Central government. If I've understood his role correctly, he clearly failed to get out point across strongly enough for it to have any effect on the service's future - decimated next month - and I fear that we'll not get any great sensible change of heart tonight.

It rather seems that the Department for Transport and First Great Western have washed their hands of the TransWilts, and Melksham, and would like us to just fade away. "It's the easiet train for us to cancel" said a First correspondent recently - "we don't care about this service" would have been another way of putting it, perhaps.

Times are far, far better now ... but it does feel sometimes as if there are still vestiges of the old setup reflected in that last quotation.   This morning, 4 cancellations were showing for today on the TransWilts, and none at all at that time across the rest of the GWR (Great Western Railway) network. We still have work to do - although we work far better in partnership than purely in protest these days.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 18:52:52 »

All seems to be running sweetly;  my web server load graph shows what a turbulent day it's been!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 22:45:56 »

Similar issue tonight ... on its way back [22:45].    Images should correct in next 30 minutes

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 15:21:41 »

Sorry about the latest outage - images back by 5 p.m. (I hope!)

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:59 »

Some "stuff" going on at the moment ... investigating.   Sometime occurrences of

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF (Simple Machines Forum - The software we use on this site) was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

which are also effecting our dynamic backups.  I may knock the forum offline for a couple of short periods during the dy to fix.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 21:13:41 »

Seems to be problems tonight as well. Most pages I try to look at get one of these messages at first. A refresh usually loads the required page.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 22:06:47 »

Seems to be problems tonight as well. Most pages I try to look at get one of these messages at first. A refresh usually loads the required page.

Kicking the server ... just landed at my overnight stop:

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:27 »

I took a further look around - someone drawing so aggressively that it was turning into a denial of service "attack" though - I'm pretty well certain - an unintentional one.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 00:49:04 »

Odd issue with one table this evening ... may have it fixed; this is a test post.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 00:51:51 »

Odd issue with one table this evening ... may have it fixed; this is a test post.

further testing (please excuse a number of odd posts)

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 00:53:19 »

further testing (please excuse a number of odd posts)

We (at home) reconfiguring our broadband yesterday / today - grotty day to have to fix stuff; may be a bit slower than usual!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: