Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:30:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trees Trees Everywhere I can't see the Wood for the Trees  (Read 9098 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 13:19:58 »

Excessive vegetation, trees and shrubs leads to damage to rolling stock and risk of lineside fires 

I very much doubt rolling stock is damaged by the outer branches and leaves of standing trees as passing vehicles will cause a continuous pruning effect, so heavy branches will not develop, assuming there is a regular passage of trains. Probably sounds worse from inside the train than it actually is.

Could you also explain what you think the source of ignition is for these line side fires and how it is able to ignite living vegetation?

and subsidence of cuttings sides and embankment slopes. Think of the downwards pressure exerted on a slope by a hefty tree.  Roots can also affect drainage.

Bit more complex than this. Tree roots will commonly find their way into solid rock and will even interact with rock at the level of the crystal/grain structure (i.e. an interaction with weak chemical bonds). The root structure generally reinforces surface soils & sediments (think of re-bar in concrete) and ties everything to the underlying geology where the surface deposits are not too thick, so is generally a good thing for slope stabilisation. A dense canopy also has a significant slowing effect on rainfall (canopy throughfall) which can reduce surface erosion considerably. Removal of trees on clay rich soils can cause all sorts of problems with water retention and clay swelling, so it is critically important to look at soil and subsoil type, particularly where slopes are involved.

Of course every site is different and this ongoing study by NR» (Network Rail - home page) should identify which sites require attention in a more scientific manner than has previously been the case. The basic principles of lineside vegetation management remain unchanged as far as I can see.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 13:58:32 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) are cutting back to 7 metres clearance as they don't want it to *scratch* the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.).....
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 22:49:54 »

The greening of the valleys since the coal mines were shut down is in my opinion one of the more positive aspects of the industrial changes which occurred in the 70s and 80s.  Though as they are still some way short of a tourist attraction then I would agree that tree clearance to give passengers views should probably come fairly low down NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s its of priorities, unlike in Scotland where I believe there is an effort being made on the Highland lines to do so.   

"Such a scene of urban dereliction. I remember when this was all pitheads and steelworks!"

Now, please!
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 15:02:09 »

Excessive vegetation, trees and shrubs leads to damage to rolling stock and risk of lineside fires 

I very much doubt rolling stock is damaged by the outer branches and leaves of standing trees as passing vehicles will cause a continuous pruning effect, so heavy branches will not develop, assuming there is a regular passage of trains. Probably sounds worse from inside the train than it actually is.

Could you also explain what you think the source of ignition is for these line side fires and how it is able to ignite living vegetation?

The knocking of branches on the roof and sides of the unit we were travelling in was quite pronounced, and the exterior finish (a vinyl wrap, I presume) showed the scratches left from the encounters with the trees.

Fires start in the dead undergrowth and will spread to live vegetation, when hot enough.  Possible ignition sources include discarded, empty glass bottles  and vandalism.  In my days working on the railways, I saw both. 

and subsidence of cuttings sides and embankment slopes. Think of the downwards pressure exerted on a slope by a hefty tree.  Roots can also affect drainage.

Bit more complex than this. Tree roots will commonly find their way into solid rock and will even interact with rock at the level of the crystal/grain structure (i.e. an interaction with weak chemical bonds). The root structure generally reinforces surface soils & sediments (think of re-bar in concrete) and ties everything to the underlying geology where the surface deposits are not too thick, so is generally a good thing for slope stabilisation. A dense canopy also has a significant slowing effect on rainfall (canopy throughfall) which can reduce surface erosion considerably. Removal of trees on clay rich soils can cause all sorts of problems with water retention and clay swelling, so it is critically important to look at soil and subsoil type, particularly where slopes are involved.

Of course every site is different and this ongoing study by NR» (Network Rail - home page) should identify which sites require attention in a more scientific manner than has previously been the case. The basic principles of lineside vegetation management remain unchanged as far as I can see.

You obviously have superior knowledge.  But I will say that the old-school P-way inspectors (whose role seems to have been superseded these days) preferred to cut trees down before they got too big, citing pressure on slopes and the loosening effect on the soil (usually clay on embankment sides) when trees move in the wind, particularly when the soil is wet.  Maybe they were just looking something for their gangs to be working on in-between those lucrative Saturday night/Sunday morning relaying jobs?  The PWI I am thinking of had 50 years experience on the railways of the westcountry.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 18:53:00 »

You can certainly see the effects in scratches on the vinyls, and sometimes leaves and small branches in the carriage.  You don't usually hit anything too substantial but the first train through after a heavy shower weighs down the leaves and branches and can result in more than what you'd call a gentle brushing.  Also of course, the closer the trees to the track, the more likely you are to hit fallen or damaged branches that may be brought down by winds.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 19:11:49 »

PWI Charlie Curtis of Westbury or Dick Sloman of Yeovil ?!

Not only do encroaching trees /vegetation scratch rolling stock paintwork, impair and even prevent use of the lineside cess by Rail staff and in emergencies others - even passengers being evacuated from a train, but it has an adverse aerodynamic effect in slightly impeeding a train's movement. Also train staff may, say at slow speed, need to put their head out to check something.

Seriously encroaching unmanaged lineside vegetation 'hedges', currently kept trimmed by trains, are increasingly noticeable on the former GWR (Great Western Railway)/WR  lines.
Make a journey on the former Southern main line between Salisbury and Whimple and
it is very evident that much effort and cost has been expended in recent years in cutting down trees etc well back from the line.
The Southern of course planted a certain species of pine tree on their linesides in many places throughout their system and these can still be seen to this day, the benefits were no leaves and a tendency to restrict  surrounding vegetation growth.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 21:39:25 »

Was desperately needed on the Cotswold Line anyway as it had been allowed to grow to ridiculous levels in some places.

The cuts in recent years at Hanborough do appear to have led to a real improvement in leaf-fall season - I remember many times Turbos slip-sliding-away when leaving the station previously.

Interested by eightf48544's original observation about South Wales. It's a frequent complaint of those who cruise the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal too, on the eastern edge of the Valleys: tree growth in recent years has been such as to obscure the famously lovely views over the Usk valley.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 22:04:50 »

I remember many times Turbos slip-sliding-away when leaving the station previously.
Was Paul Simon driving?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 22:27:00 »

Everyone loves the sound of a train in the distance !.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 10:32:51 »

PWI Charlie Curtis of Westbury or Dick Sloman of Yeovil ?!

Not only do encroaching trees /vegetation scratch rolling stock paintwork, impair and even prevent use of the lineside cess by Rail staff and in emergencies others - even passengers being evacuated from a train, but it has an adverse aerodynamic effect in slightly impeeding a train's movement. Also train staff may, say at slow speed, need to put their head out to check something.

Seriously encroaching unmanaged lineside vegetation 'hedges', currently kept trimmed by trains, are increasingly noticeable on the former GWR (Great Western Railway)/WR  lines.

I was thinking of Harold "Larky" Blackmore, actually, whose big-railway career ended on the Taunton District.  After retirement, he spent a good many years "part-time" getting the West Somerset Railway into some kind of fettle, after all the years of neglect.  Anything he didn't know about PW (Permanent Way) was, frankly, not worth knowing.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 17:41:29 »

The Gwili Railway near Carmarthen seems to heavily tree laden - with the added risk of lineside fires.  Some of the most intensive tree growth I have seen next to a railway line.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 03:33:31 »

From Wales Online

A train crash left two people in hospital after it hit a tree on the tracks.

The crash took place near Llanbradach railway station, in Caerphilly , at around 10.05pm, with Arriva Trains Wales’ Rhymney service affected.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 11:29:39 »

Hot off the press

From Get Surrey website http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/south-west-trains-disruption-train-13143128

High winds played havoc with Surrey's rail services on Tuesday morning (June 6) as one train was forced to stop just outside Guildford when it was hit by a tree.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: