Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:52:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pub names - names for pubs near stations?  (Read 6177 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 22:47:18 »

"The Off Peak"

Restricted opening hours.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 03:20:44 »

The Gateline:

Ticket only entry. But even a valid ticket may not get you in.

The Jobsworth
The Disappearing Staff
The Blank Screen

The Permitted Route
The As Advertised
The See Restrictions

The Advance Purchase:

You're only allowed in at a certain time, and you must sit on your reserved barstool. Your pint though will only cost 50p.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:37:36 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 10:42:32 »

You're only allowed in at a certain time, and you must sit on your reserved barstool. Your pint though will only cost 50p.

I've booked. I'll bring my Senior Git card, so I should get the pint for 33p.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 13:26:30 »

The North Star (at Swindon)
Has a connection with an existing pub name seen in a few places though not as far as I know Swindon: The Seven Stars. Those aren't just random stars, they refer to a railway of a particular sort: the underground railway that took escaped slaves from the southern states of the USA to Canada. The Seven Stars are the Plough (as we call it, perhaps in this context it would be more appropriate to give the American name, Big Dipper) which point the way north.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 14:00:58 »

Has a connection with an existing pub name seen in a few places though not as far as I know Swindon: The Seven Stars. Those aren't just random stars, they refer to a railway of a particular sort: the underground railway that took escaped slaves from the southern states of the USA to Canada. The Seven Stars are the Plough (as we call it, perhaps in this context it would be more appropriate to give the American name, Big Dipper) which point the way north.

http://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/innsigns/seven-stars.htm - Midlands Pubs - tells us some more:

The Plough is the nickname of Ursa Major but is also known as The Great Bear or Big Dipper. The handle of the Dipper is the Great Bear's tail and the Dipper's cup is the Bear's flank. Technically however, The Big Dipper is not a constellation but an asterism, a term for a distinctive group of stars. The names of the seven stars which make up The Plough are Alkaid, Mizar, Alioth, Megrez, Dubhe, Phad and Merak. If you have been a scout or served in the armed forces you've probably been taught how to locate The Plough because, for those living in the Northern Hemisphere, you can use it to find other important stars. For example, it is a great navigational tool when you draw an imaginary line from Merak [bottom right] through Dubhe [top right] out of the cup of the dipper you will arrive at Polaris, the North Star.

My thought for Swindon's pub as "North Star" was however based on the North Star locomotive - see  - http://www.broadgauge.org.uk/locos/loco_north_star.html - and on the area os Swindon that's taken its name from that too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 14:39:26 »

The Split Ticket

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 17:25:39 »

http://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/innsigns/seven-stars.htm - Midlands Pubs - tells us some more:

The Plough is the nickname of Ursa Major but is also known as The Great Bear or Big Dipper. The handle of the Dipper is the Great Bear's tail and the Dipper's cup is the Bear's flank. Technically however, The Big Dipper is not a constellation but an asterism, a term for a distinctive group of stars. The names of the seven stars which make up The Plough are Alkaid, Mizar, Alioth, Megrez, Dubhe, Phad and Merak. If you have been a scout or served in the armed forces you've probably been taught how to locate The Plough because, for those living in the Northern Hemisphere, you can use it to find other important stars. For example, it is a great navigational tool when you draw an imaginary line from Merak [bottom right] through Dubhe [top right] out of the cup of the dipper you will arrive at Polaris, the North Star.

My thought for Swindon's pub as "North Star" was however based on the North Star locomotive - see  - http://www.broadgauge.org.uk/locos/loco_north_star.html - and on the area os Swindon that's taken its name from that too.

111 The Great Bear was, of course, the GWR (Great Western Railway)'s only 4-6-2 loco. Recognising that there was no future or necessity in such a bizarre wheel arrangement, Swindon rebuilt* the loco as a Castle Class, naming it  Viscount Churchill as presumably they were running out of crumbling ruins to draw inspiration from.

* i.e. threw away pretty much everything except the name plates - easily fooled, those old-time GWR accountants

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 17:33:38 »

The Split Ticket

And after a few pints, the Spilt Ticket...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: