Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:38:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Consumer Rights Act 2015  (Read 38576 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 16:53:56 »

There would be a fairly straightforward case maybe if you had a journey within the GWR (Great Western Railway) Airline Partnership as it is one booking. People buying the Flyaway to Gatwick don't have to declare any information to GWR.

Sail Rail is interesting because it appears they have disclaimers against each other's disruptions.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 18:01:02 »

Assuming they'd left long enough for the connection, yes. So that's at least two hours before their flight
John R

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 00:11:25 »

But where do you draw the line? If A family of 4 is travelling to Australia first class and miss their flight because the train is cancelled and the next hourly one gets them to the airport just too late? So they've lost maybe 25k worth of flights.  Is it reasonable for the railway to compensate them for the full amount because their original train would have arrived 5 mins before the recommended check in time?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 01:15:54 »

But where do you draw the line?

In a court of law.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 04:46:41 »

Post for discussion ...

1. Money for repayments and compensation has to come from somewhere - and that's probably going to be from passengers through higher fares if there's a significant rise in the number / amount of payments.

2. Some journeys are time critical. Others aren't quite so important. And at the other end of the scale an occasional late arrival really doesn't make much difference.

3. There's such a thing as travel insurance you can buy.

Taking the "extreme" example of 25k of flights, I don't think I'ld be terribly happy to have my standard class ticket price go up by x% to allow for the payments out in such cases.  Nor am I really happy at the admin cost of all the blame and repay costs that we have / are getting at the moment.  For sure, they encourage the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to keep to reasonable time at threat of penalty, but at what overhead and higher price? 

Not ideal, but add bronze, silver and gold insurance options to train ticket purchase? However, in the event of taxi substitution (for example) do we want to add the nightmare of arranging it for insured passengers first?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 07:36:52 »

I think that's a very pragmatic commentary grahame.

In respect of travellers making flights they should have insurance, and let the insurers be the judge as to whether the delay and original allowance made for delays in the planning of the journey warranted a successful claim.

The compensation culture is one of the more depressing aspects of today's society in my opinion. At the risk of digression, I notice that the man who lost the Supreme Court case for taking his children to Florida in term time is (very openly) a highly successful businessman who owns a PPI Claims company. So he could certainly well afford to travel outside term time, and I do question his motives for bringing the case in the first instance. "Been unfairly fined for taking your children out of school, we could get you compensation..." 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 08:22:41 »

I think that's a very pragmatic commentary grahame.

In respect of travellers making flights they should have insurance, and let the insurers be the judge as to whether the delay and original allowance made for delays in the planning of the journey warranted a successful claim.

The compensation culture is one of the more depressing aspects of today's society in my opinion. At the risk of digression, I notice that the man who lost the Supreme Court case for taking his children to Florida in term time is (very openly) a highly successful businessman who owns a PPI Claims company. So he could certainly well afford to travel outside term time, and I do question his motives for bringing the case in the first instance. "Been unfairly fined for taking your children out of school, we could get you compensation..." 

Woahhhhh hold on! This is absolutely not a case of "compensation culture" - if I pay for a service from a supplier, and they fail to supply it in the way/to the standard advertised which consequently causes me financial loss or hardship then I am perfectly entitled to expect recompense - the railways are almost unique in trying to constantly wriggle out of this commitment - it is they who should be arranging financial contingency to cover their failure and its consequences, not the customer!

(I agree 100% re: the idiot who wanted to take his child out of school by the way!)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 08:37:48 »

But where do you draw the line? If A family of 4 is travelling to Australia first class and miss their flight because the train is cancelled and the next hourly one gets them to the airport just too late? So they've lost maybe 25k worth of flights.  Is it reasonable for the railway to compensate them for the full amount because their original train would have arrived 5 mins before the recommended check in time?

I'd personally rather spend an extra 1-2 hours in the airport than risk a missed flight. I need a buffer, I can't deal with the stress of running close to time on something so critical.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:37 »

TOCs (Train Operating Company) have an easy way out on this though...just qatch as the recommended 'change' time accelerates to three hours (at least) between train arrival & flight time. Don't allow this and they won't be liable
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 10:35:05 »

As I said earlier, I expect this will result in a test case in the end, possibly sponsored in some manner by Which?.

The NRCOT (National Rail Conditions of Travel) maybe should be updated in line with the CMA recommendations to use the more straightforward language just to remove the technicalities of being 'possibly' unfair through people not clearly understanding the distinction between direct and consequential loss, and not being unduly influenced not to make a claim which in reality would be an allowable direct loss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 11:28:25 »

I'd personally rather spend an extra 1-2 hours in the airport than risk a missed flight. I need a buffer, I can't deal with the stress of running close to time on something so critical.

Indeed, and I arrived at LHR at 1230 yesterday for a 1605 departure to the USA not wishing to see four non flexible business class seats go to waste. Compensation should be in proportion to the cost of the service provided, not the consequential loss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 11:55:21 »

Compensation should be in proportion to the cost of the service provided, not the consequential loss.

If I'm travelling from Edinburgh to Oban ... a problem during the journey on the 09:30 and instead of arriving in Oban at 13:43 I arrive on the next train at 15:28, I have paid £42.10 and been delayed by 105 minutes - so the journey took 141.5% of the time it should have done.

If I'm travelling on Saturday evening from Chippenham to Melksham and the 19:53 "sits down" resulting in an arrival at 21:34 rather than 20:02, I have paid £3.90 and been delayed by 92 minutes - so the journey took 1122.2% of the time it should have done.

Extreme case - but there's a fallacy on compensation in proportion to the cost of service.   If I arrive about 100 minutes late somewhere due to train failures, it's still 100 minutes of my time wasted.

Having made that point, the whole blanket compensation thing worries me for reasons given earlier in the thread, and I would much rather have "bronze" insurance by default, with "silver" and "gold" available as you press the "buy now" button. That way, you would be compensated peanuts / cost of fare / consequential loss and could choose which you wanted for your journey.   If most people selected bronze, you could even give the train conductors tokens to hand out for peanut dispensing machines at stations when passengers disembarked, saving an awful lot of admin.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 12:47:03 »

I'm more thinking of the situation whereby a £10 rail ticket results in compensation running into hundreds if not thousands of pounds.  And I entirely agree with your reservations as to the cost and complexity and who would end up paying.

You could end up with a situation whereby every time a city corporate lawyer (whose time is typically charged out at over £500 ph) is delayed on his way into work, claims for the lost time.  It would rapidly make the railway unaffordable.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 10:48:33 »

It's nearly been a year since the CRA applied to rail travel. I am not aware of any public cases where it has been invoked (AFAIK (as far as I know) the "Brighton Commuter" who claimed back £2,400 from Southern used the American Express chargeback process citing various reasons).

I stumbled across this FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) regarding the CRA from National Rail (via google, couldn't find a link off the National Rail main site):
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/CRACustomerFAQs.pdf
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 12:44:10 »

Post for discussion ...

1. Money for repayments and compensation has to come from somewhere - and that's probably going to be from passengers through higher fares if there's a significant rise in the number / amount of payments.

I'm not especially bothered by this line of argument.  Compensation is paid for by passengers and is paid to passengers.  Maybe not always the same passengers but you get my point.  Passengers as a whole are neither winners or loosers.  The real advantage of a compensation scheme is that it provides an incentive to operators to minimise delays. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: