Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:37:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Making new signage visible  (Read 22966 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:08 »

What isn't clear to me is how this policy might be enforced retrospectively.

Maybe Moto have 'grandfather rights'. The brand came into being in 2001; were any explicit standards in place at that time?

This code will help train operators and anybody else carrying out rail infrastructure improvements to design more accessible trains and stations. It has been published to ensure that any infrastructure work at stations makes railway travel easier for disabled passengers.

...specifically, vision-impaired passengers in this context. Which leads me back to wondering if GWR (Great Western Railway) actually thought to have the signage assessed, or consider the RNIB» (Royal National Institute for the Blind - about)'s guidelines which, among other things, specifically advise against using light text or symbols against a dark background.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 12:45:13 »

I suppose it's debatable whether those icons are white on a black square or the black square is part of the icon itself. Personally I think they'd probably be more legible in black on white with perhaps a narrow black outline round the (assumed) square of 'icon space'.

As to the visually impaired, I do know one man, sufficiently impaired to be registered blind since birth, who finds it easier to make out white on black. Not that one individual is good reason to go against RNIB» (Royal National Institute for the Blind - about) advice.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 12:48:22 »

Going off-piste in another direction, another niggle of mine (minor in the overall scheme of things) are door operating buttons on trains. Should there not be a standard layout so that Open is always top (or whatever, but consistent). I find myself pressing a Close button when I am already mentally off the train, but failing to do it physically, because all the other buttons on the journey in that position have been Open.
I hadn't given thought to the position but I do find the Open and Close symbols insufficiently distinct. There isn't enough doorness in them.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 13:51:42 »

Going off-piste in another direction, another niggle of mine (minor in the overall scheme of things) are door operating buttons on trains. Should there not be a standard layout so that Open is always top (or whatever, but consistent). I find myself pressing a Close button when I am already mentally off the train, but failing to do it physically, because all the other buttons on the journey in that position have been Open.
I hadn't given thought to the position but I do find the Open and Close symbols insufficiently distinct. There isn't enough doorness in them.

It's clear from context whether you want to open or shut the door, so you only need one button labelled 'Door'.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 15:41:25 »

If you look in the current GWR (Great Western Railway) franchise (dated 22 March 2015), page 174, under SCHEDULE 4 Persons with Disabilities and Disability Discrimination/2. Physical Alterations and Accessibility of Stations is:
2.7 (a) establish and manage the Minor Works’ Budget to fund the carrying out of Minor Works. For the purposes of this paragraph 2.7, Minor Works means small scale physical alterations or additions to improve accessibility of Stations to Disabled Persons, not involving substantial works of construction or reconstruction. The Minor Works:
(iv) must comply with the standards provided for in the Code of Practice, unless otherwise agreed with the prior consent of the Secretary of State;

And, among the definitions of terms, there are:
Code of Practice” means the code of practice for protecting the interests of users of railway passenger services or station services who have disabilities, as prepared, revised from time to time and published by the Secretary of State pursuant to Section 71B of the Act;

Act” means the Railways Act 1993 and any regulations or orders made thereunder;

Now, the code of practice referred to above says in its introduction:
The version of the document published on the Department for Transport’s (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) website will be considered the official version for the purposes of the Railways Act 1993. Train and station operators, and anybody else who carries out work on Great Britain’s railway network, should ensure that they are familiar with this version and should check the website on a regular basis for updates.

Mind you, the inside cover text includes:
Although this report was commissioned by the Department for Transport (DfT), the findings and recommendations are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the DfT. The information or guidance in this document (including third party information, products and services) is provided by DfT on an ‘as is’ basis, without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied.

The Department for Transport has actively considered the needs of blind and partially sighted people in accessing this document. The text will be made available in full on the Department’s website. The text may be freely downloaded and translated by individuals or organisations for conversion into other accessible formats. If you have other needs in this regard please contact the Department.

Hmm ... so HMG do not endorse it, but have made it an implied term of franchise contracts (and are presumably required by that act to do so). Sow how keen to you imagine they are going to be to enforce that contract term?
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:11 »

I mentioned, when he was passing, to the station manager at Newton Abbot that the signs appear smaller and harder to read.  He said 'they're compliant and lovely'.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:16 »

I mentioned, when he was passing, to the station manager at Newton Abbot that the signs appear smaller and harder to read.  He said 'they're compliant and lovely'.
Well he would say that wouldn't he. He's trained and programmed to say things like that.  Smiley
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 18:13:48 »

I'm sure I read about some trains having their door control buttons changed to the "standard" layout during a makeover, but I can't remember what class nor find the item again.

But thinking about the symbols, rather than the positions, I've always found it surprisingly difficult to pick which does which, as evidenced by needing to stop and think. Obviously it's not intuitive, at least for me. The same symbols (more or less) are used on lifts, with a longer history, and induce the same hesitation.

Looking about on line, I found other similar comments, and one guy saying that after much searching he could find no trace of any good engineering design, or research to support it, ever being done. Product designers had just copied each other, adding their own ideas. There was also a lot of borrowing symbols both ways with VCR designers, though the relationship between tape motion and lift doors isn't obvious. I can't find any design standard either, whether labelled as "accessibility" or not.

Two people had though about it, and come up with the same idea as I did, though with less explanation. This was my reasoning:

Arrows usually indicate direction or motion, but for motion they are almost entirely conventional; if you'd never seen one you wouldn't guess what it meant. Presumably two arrows, with or without a single line between them, are meant to suggest moving doors. But if I want the doors to open or close, I'm not really interested in them in motion - I'm thinking more about the end state; the doors open or closed. And those two arrows pointing inwards (especially with no line between) look more "open" than the outwards ones. In other words, there is visibly more of a gap in the middle.

So I suggest making the arrows smaller, and putting two vertical lines at the outside (with arrows pushing them) and a wide gap in the middle, or two lines close together in the middle with little arrows pushing them shut. @i'm not sure if that conveys "doorness", but I think it has more "shutness" or "openness".
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 18:24:30 »

I think that's a pretty good consideration of what it is that makes the door open/close signs unintuitive.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 18:47:43 »

But you don't need two buttons!

If the door is open, then the only valid operation is to close them. If they are closed, the only valid operation is to open them. It they are opening or closing, then hitting the button again must mean you want them to stop opening or closing. Controls Logic 101.

So one button, with a pictogram of a door. Ajar, if you like.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 18:54:03 »

But you don't need two buttons!

If the door is open, then the only valid operation is to close them. If they are closed, the only valid operation is to open them. It they are opening or closing, then hitting the button again must mean you want them to stop opening or closing. Controls Logic 101.

So one button, with a pictogram of a door. Ajar, if you like.

I was thinking more about lifts, and commonality (though it's open to question whether lift door buttons really do anything at all).

But, apart from marginal cases where the door thinks it's doing something different from what you see, you would need to test that to see if a single button is intuitive. Is "move the door to wherever it isn't" easy eough to understand, compared to "... to open" or "... to closed"? Maybe, maybe not; good design depends on finding that out first.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 19:09:15 »

Maybe it's just what people expect. And therefore that is what is designed in. A button to open and a button to close. A single button may confuse. Does it open the door or close it? I imagine many people won't even consider that a single button can do both.

Manufacturers would certainly fit a single button on cost grounds if there weren't some other reason.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 19:23:33 »

You could say that carriage external doors don't need a close button at all, since they all nowadays close automatically. So the only function of the button could be to open the door. Many internal doors are also self-closing. You'd still need some sort of lock button (or physical mechanism?) on toilet doors.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 19:24:15 »

I'm sure I read about some trains having their door control buttons changed to the "standard" layout during a makeover, but I can't remember what class nor find the item again.

Class 150s had their original small square buttons replaced with larger round, more tactile buttons, including braille, to comply with RVAR.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 19:28:11 »

Well... there's a button on the door of my car. As long as the key's in my pocket, pushing the button either locks it or unlocks it dependent on it's current state. Then I get in and - lo! - there's a button on the dash which closes the power relays if the car is switched off, or opens them if it's switched on. I think this sort of logic is common to most modern cars, but I will admit that I am only assuming that somewhere in a multi-billion pound development project they found a budget to check that people found that sort of logic intuitive.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: