Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 07:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:13:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283325 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2017, 20:57:44 »

This IET (Intercity Express Train) event sounds highly relevant - https://communities.theiet.org/communities/events/item/259/266/18217

Details at http://www.theiet.org/events/local/250178.cfm

Open to all (not just IET members) and free to attend, but need to register by September 21st.

Thank you for that - a fascinating afternoon.  I learned an enormous amount about electrification ... and will never look at that catenary or pantograph in quite the same way again.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2017, 21:31:05 »

Did they explain why there is so much steelwork compared with previous schemes (and indeed the pictures I've seen of the current Scottish electrification projects appear more like the older installations too.)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 21:48:40 »

Did they explain why there is so much steelwork compared with previous schemes (and indeed the pictures I've seen of the current Scottish electrification projects appear more like the older installations too.)

Higher tensions and pressures for faster running ... need for stuff that lasts longer and needs less maintenance because we're headed for the 24 x 7 railway.  Also quicker maintenance by replacing components rather than tailoring each piece.  But the folks today are on the maintenance training rather than design side; 100 Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) and associated engineers to be trained. Not only Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) mainline, but Crossrail too - which is the bigger one for maintenance because of the huge number of extra pantograph passes over the wire.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:57:50 by VickiS » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2017, 22:47:54 »

Appears to be work ongoing on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) this week, with more infrastructure erection between Southcote Jct and Theale, and also between Ufton Nervet and Aldermaston.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2017, 22:50:08 »

Thanks for the explanation.

Though I expect that faster running is 140mph specified that we will never see, just like the Pendolinos and Class 91s will never achieve their design potential in service.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2017, 07:49:25 »

In view of the importance of highlighting the total closure of Reading station next weekend, I have split this topic which can be found on this board by clicking the link below:

Total Weekend Closure of Reading 14-15 October
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18827.0
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2017, 20:03:49 »

Though I expect that faster running is 140mph specified that we will never see, just like the Pendolinos and Class 91s will never achieve their design potential in service.

The current plan is to remain at 125, although there is an aspiration to all a higher permissible speed once full ETCS (European Train Control System) is in place. 

The main driver for the GW (Great Western) scheme was lessons learnt from the Mk3 equipment on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) and the modified Mk1 on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) both have inherent failure modes.   The support steel and piles used on the GW are heavier that perhaps needed and I know this is one aspect the designers are looking at to see if something can be done but still meet the requirement DfT» (Department for Transport - about) place on the scheme; however if you look at the GW OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") system there is generally one insulator per structure that supports both the contact wire and catenary where as the Mk3 had at least 2.  This reduces the likelihood of insulator failure by about 50% also the wire run design is elegant in its simplicity.

The other thing the GW scheme is using is carrier wire neutral sections similar to the ones used on HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel), instead of the NR» (Network Rail - home page) norm is beaded neutral sections, the first of these carrier wire neutral sections is due to be commissioned at Maidenhead, the neutral sections are located West of country end of the Silco Drive sidings

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2017, 22:51:07 »

Thanks II. There is clearly more to the GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification than meets the eye of the layman. This is a new design using engineering techniques developed because of the problems on earlier projects. There's no better way than learning from somebody else's mistakes, although headline cost probably played a large part in choosing the Mk1 and Mk3 systems.

Do it cheap, do it twice.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2017, 19:21:48 »

A couple of contrasting pictures from recent days

dviner

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 18:44:32 »

I like the way that the Series 1 arm (the left one of Grahame's pictures) holds both the support and contact wires - much simpler than the other example.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 21:09:01 »

I like the way that the Series 1 arm (the left one of Grahame's pictures) holds both the support and contact wires - much simpler than the other example.

The one on the right is Mk3 but it like its either in a station or a depot, normally the insulators on Mk3 and Mk1 are mounted on the structure (mast) end of the cantilevers, this was due to the weight of the porcelain insulators used.  The reason I think the right hand photo is a station area this arrangement is used to ensure live parts are as far away from the public as possible.

The image on the left as I mentioned in a post earlier the GW (Great Western) OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") design is exigent in its simplicity, its just the structures used to support it are a tad OTT (Open Train Times website).  In the left photo the conductor above structure boom is the ATF (Auto transformer Feeder).  There is 50kV between the ATF and the contact wire (its a 25 - 0 - 25kV system)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 21:56:11 »

A good point is made by ET on the elegance of the support arm arrangement. I hope that the ceramic insulators are up to the considerable bending moment imposed on them.

I cannot understand the mast and beam design - the lengths seem random. Some masts can support the feeder, some need extensions which are anything but standard and some require posts on the portal. This must be a nightmare for the teams that have to invent a new solution each 50m, defying efficient serial installation. The BR (British Rail(ways)) Mark 1 portals with their diagonal lattice (often appearing on the Series 2 system) look much neater and must be potentially  stronger than the boxy, rectangular bracing of Series 1 with its monolithic masts/stanchions and clamps.

The Enhancements Delivery Plan document of September does however read a little more optimistically about electrification, if you move the CPx's along, with Stalybridge still in and Midland Bi-mode operation spoken as from "Market Harborough/Kettering", i.e over the Desborough hump.

OTC

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:41 »

The Enhancements Delivery Plan document of September does however read a little more optimistically about electrification, if you move the CPx's along, with Stalybridge still in and Midland Bi-mode operation spoken as from "Market Harborough/Kettering", i.e over the Desborough hump.

OTC

AIUI (as I understand it), Stalybridge has to be in, as it is where the new grid connection is, unless someone wants to invest in a very long extension cable ;-)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2017, 13:34:01 »

AIUI (as I understand it), Stalybridge has to be in, as it is where the new grid connection is, unless someone wants to invest in a very long extension cable ;-)

I think the "extension lead" is needed anyway as the main supply point at the trackside is to be at Ordsall Lane in the centre of Manchester. Otherwise a suicidal pidgeon from Ashton can take out most of Manchester's services. (We'll have similar "leads" from Melksham and Bramley.) The actual GSP is, I believe the switching/transformer compound of the former Heyrod power station. This strongly favours continuing the wires Eastwards to Yorkshire.  It seems that this also supplies most of Manchester's commercial and residential consumers. No pidgeons, please.

The MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) situation is also interesting in that the power supply for the Corby wiring is to be taken from a new compound at Braybrooke, Market Harborough, where the 400kV line crosses, suggesting that MH may be the termination. This would also certainly feed to Leicester. The other two MML feeds are proposed for Kegworth (i.e Ratcliffe Power Station site) and Hasland (from Chesterfield NG (Natural Gas) Substation). I suspect that the key to future electrification may lie in the ease of connection to the juice. The Braybrooke GSP will be the most expensive, hence the one to get installed quick!

As always I sit at ET's feet in these matters.

OTC
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2017, 21:27:27 »

I think the "extension lead" is needed anyway as the main supply point at the trackside is to be at Ordsall Lane in the centre of Manchester. Otherwise a suicidal pidgeon from Ashton can take out most of Manchester's services. (We'll have similar "leads" from Melksham and Bramley.) The actual GSP is, I believe the switching/transformer compound of the former Heyrod power station. This strongly favours continuing the wires Eastwards to Yorkshire.  It seems that this also supplies most of Manchester's commercial and residential consumers. No pidgeons, please.

The MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) situation is also interesting in that the power supply for the Corby wiring is to be taken from a new compound at Braybrooke, Market Harborough, where the 400kV line crosses, suggesting that MH may be the termination. This would also certainly feed to Leicester. The other two MML feeds are proposed for Kegworth (i.e Ratcliffe Power Station site) and Hasland (from Chesterfield NG (Natural Gas) Substation). I suspect that the key to future electrification may lie in the ease of connection to the juice. The Braybrooke GSP will be the most expensive, hence the one to get installed quick!

As always I sit at ET's feet in these matters.

OTC

We have a National Grid, in the process of upgrade if the money doesn't run out. That gives us the country-wide equivalent of a ring main, spreading the feed from power stations and the demand from consumers to even out the blips. That should give us the ability to electrify practically any route, especially as you see pylons following most main rail lines. The bigger problem will be that only around 40% of the country's energy use is by electricity. Transport - including rail - remains predominantly powered by fossil fuels, as are home heating, cooking, and industry.

ET and II will agree that the eventual solution will be all transport powered by electricity. To achieve that, we need a lot more capacity for the reliable and predictable generation of electricity. Hooking it up to the mains is a minor issue compared to that (Melksham is particularly favoured in this respect).

No pidgeons, please.

That nearly got me saying I would chase them away in my "Magimix belong Jesus".

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: