I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:18:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283429 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2017, 18:07:50 »

Club 140, speed is free,
Fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone,
All that's missing is the speed,
But don't worry, you can make up time!

WHAM  BAM you are giving your age away  and mine come too think of it !.

I suspect speed was most certainly not missing where that particular group are/were concerned...!  Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2017, 18:27:02 »

Nice reasoning.  But the other advantages of electric are better acceleration, regenerative braking and lower air pollution.  It could be argued that the best bits to electrify are the approaches to the stations in order to reduce urban air pollution, get the trains up to speed and away from the stations quickly and allow energy recovery on deceleration to the station.  The gaps in OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") might be best left out in the countryside.   

I returned from Blackpool yesterday, where electrification is well under way between Blackpool North and Preston. The line shuts next week for 4 months to finish the job! The benefit was plain to see at Preston. My seat was in the second carriage from the rear in an 11-car Pendolino, and it felt as though we were up to 60 mph by the time I passed the end of the platform.

Now, please!
hassaanhc

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2017, 23:47:24 »

2. A report that according to them as know, IETs (Intercity Express Train) on diesel power are about 15km/h slower at balancing speed than HSTs (High Speed Train). Marvellous.

If the faster high speed sections are electrified how much difference does this make?

Let's take a journey of 305 miles that takes 5 hours and 5 minutes (conveniently, an average of exactly 60 m.p.h.) with an HST, but where the first 173 miles are covered in 120 minutes (86 mph) and the remaining 132 miles take 185 minutes (43 mph).

Electrify the first (fast) 173 miles ... big gains from electrification.  And you will probably never reach balancing speed in those final 132 miles so it really doesn't matter.   

Isn't that the sort of plans they have?

Nice reasoning.  But the other advantages of electric are better acceleration, regenerative braking and lower air pollution.  It could be argued that the best bits to electrify are the approaches to the stations in order to reduce urban air pollution, get the trains up to speed and away from the stations quickly and allow energy recovery on deceleration to the station.  The gaps in OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") might be best left out in the countryside.   
Class 387 acceleration is lethal, and I thought 360s were fast! On departing Maidenhead the 387s can already be at 90mph by the time they pass Taplow, also departing Slough they can be at 90 before Langley. A 165 or 166 would be in the 60-70mph region. In January my brother's usual morning train from Southall to Reading will gain more stops yet be a minute faster!

My usual journey (between Southall and Paddington) means I have more chance of getting an EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) rather than a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit). Whenever I get a DMU after multiple EMU journeys I'm always surprised by how slow they are Tongue. They do manage to get to 70mph between Paddington/Ealing Broadway/Southall but actually feel slower than a EMU doing a lower speed due to the crap acceleration. And of course normal passengers notice the noise difference too. Back in July we had guests and they kept getting EMUs to/from Paddington, but the first time we got a DMU to Reading they noticed it was an old train and commented on it.

I remember Crossrail promoting that Paddington to Southall will be a minimum of 12 minutes once the project is complete. However, Heathrow Connect services on Sundays (only calling at Ealing Broadway on the way) are already booked to take that long in the down direction! The GWR (Great Western Railway) DMUs are booked to take 14 minutes.
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2017, 09:44:24 »

Do we know for sure that Chippenham to Temple Meads electrification has been cancelled? As I understand it the work has merely been pushed to the next control period and it is only Cardiff-Swansea which has actually been canned. 

Officially I believe that is still the case.

But after seeing how slow some of the progress has been, the cancellation of Cardiff-Swansea and the talk coming from government regarding electrification and bi-modes - many of us are very skeptical! 
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2017, 09:49:01 »

Having seen this:

This NR» (Network Rail - home page) video shows the current state of electrification.  Enjoy the ride......
https://youtu.be/OOAqWW-KXrM

I am rather taken aback by the sheer quantity of ironmongery involved. You can see where the money went.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2017, 15:45:57 »

Club 140, speed is free,
Fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone,
All that's missing is the speed,
But don't worry, you can make up time!

WHAM  BAM you are giving your age away  and mine come too think of it !.
Wham! Bam!
I am
An engine driver
Volts or no volts
You can't tell me that I'm not!

<retires, gracelessly>

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2017, 07:16:52 »

Had to post this for the headline if nothing else.

From the Swindon Advertiser

Cracked toilet bowl blamed on Network Rail piling

A FED-UP Stratton Road resident has suggested Network Rail should be using less disruptive piling methods in its engineering work to upgrade the London to Bristol line.
Residents have complained for months that their sleep is being disturbed as piles are driven deep into the ground to provide a stable base for pylons needed for the electrification of the route.

Edward Browning said: “It is not necessary. I have had my toilet pan cracked and it leaked on to the floor. The flashing on the front bedroom window was shaken off at the same time as the pile driving was happening.

Continues.....
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2017, 09:14:46 »

avoiding a joke about piles.... has people's sleep really be disturbed for months?  Even at NR» (Network Rail - home page) speed they should have moved off from a particular location after a few nights. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2017, 09:30:22 »

avoiding a joke about piles.... has people's sleep really be disturbed for months?  Even at NR» (Network Rail - home page) speed they should have moved off from a particular location after a few nights. 

There will be a lot more ironmongery at the end of Swindon station than for a stretch of plain line. There are all the extra wires needed for overlaps and switching above the points, and each of those terminations of wire runs needs an upright with a stay.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2017, 18:05:35 »

Edward Browning said: “It is not necessary. I have had my toilet pan cracked and it leaked on to the floor.

I heard BTP (British Transport Police) called, but found they had nothing to go on...

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2017, 18:10:21 »

I suppose Mr Browning was lucky he didn't find a flash in the pan....tograph. That should stop the  diggers and/or sniggers
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2017, 09:42:57 »

On a bustitution last night - Reading to Thatcham just after midnight. Noticed an engineering train at work near Midgham.
NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2017, 15:52:09 »

A FED-UP Stratton Road resident has suggested Network Rail should be using less disruptive piling methods in its engineering work to upgrade the London to Bristol line.
Residents have complained for months that their sleep is being disturbed as piles are driven deep into the ground to provide a stable base for pylons needed for the electrification of the route.

Edward Browning said: “It is not necessary. I have had my toilet pan cracked and it leaked on to the floor. The flashing on the front bedroom window was shaken off at the same time as the pile driving was happening.

Continues.....

Well it sounds like someone is taking the p**s
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2017, 15:57:12 »

No complaints as yet then of cows yielding sour milk, hens ceasing to lay, or horses being frightened (before becoming extinct)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2017, 19:11:25 »

Class 387 and a Class 800 on AC did test runs on Saturday night between Slough and Didcot.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: