Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:41:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283504 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2017, 19:38:00 »

There are still gaps  Smiley . I was in Wiltshire yesterday; I seen em.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2017, 00:58:23 »

By placing the "0" or Neutral point earth connection at the NR» (Network Rail - home page) end the secondary of the 400/25-0-25kV transformer is electrically isolated from the National Grid earth, there will be a rise in potential on NR infrastructure in the event of a 400kV fault however its is of a lower magnitude.

At Didcot there is sufficient distance between the Grid earth and NR earth for the Grid fault rise of potential to be below the 645V level.

It was all explained to me by an earthing boffin who can quite frankly bore for England on the subject  Grin

I did find a national grid picture that showed that neutral earthed at their transformer, but also showing both stations sitting over the same buried earth mat. That might not reduce the voltage difference enough, and either way there's clearly a problem when you connect that to the earth at the railway feed point. But I know what you mean about earthing experts, even if my encounters with them have been to do with very much higher frequencies. You still see the same effect, that all earths are not equal, voltagewise, but without those scarily high currents.

That's really what struck me most about that site; how small it is. We are used to seeing NG (Natural Gas)'s big toys in a compound 50 m across in the middle of a field (and so are they). At Kensal Green, those transformers are within 10 m of a public footpath - the canal towpath. Given their standard fault current (into the ground at a single point) is 63kA, and most lightning in this country is below 10 kA, I'd say that looks like a serious safety management problem.

It's all very well to read that these days the experts don't think step voltage (between your two feet, making a current flow up one leg and down the other) is a big risk, because the current has no reason to go near your heart. But you do have to know not to touch the ground with anything but a rubber-soled foot.

Maybe there are signs on the towpath saying "no walking sticks, and don't even think about those walking pole things" - and what about the poor fish?

Here's a picture of the site - the view is about 200 m across. The smaller sheds have shafts in them, as can be seen for the earlier pictures. I do hope they left enough of a raised wall around those shafts to stop the canal ever getting in, even in a serious flood.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2017, 01:03:31 »

Fancy another armchair expedition? This time to hunt for big wormholes across London?

National Grid's London Power Tunnels have got a lot less publicity than Thames Water's supersewer (at least out West of London). But it is still quite impressive - while slim, it is pretty long.

I found this list of the twelve shaft sites, detailed enough that you can plug them into Google Earth and go straight there.

Seagrave Road, Earls Court
Millfields Park, Hackney
Eade Road, Haringey
Seven Sisters Road, Highbury
Lough Road, Islington
Canal Way, Kensal Green
Lodge Road, St. John’s Wood
Royal College Street, St. Pancras
Armoury Way, Wandsworth
Acton Lane, Willesden
Channel Gate Road, Willesden
Riverside Road, Wimbledon
(There's a separate tunnel from Hurst to Eltham.)

You may need to hunt for the site itself, and then you'll then need to wind back time to see the holes; they are now hidden by sheds ("headhouses"). Kensal Green has two shafts (as does Hackney). I think that has to do with the tunneling itself - three tunnels meet there, from Willesden, Hackney, and Wimbledon. And Willesden had two shafts 600 m apart, one of which is now capped.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2017, 18:00:38 »

The comment about earthing at very much higher frequencies reminded me of Army advice. Always jump off the tailgate of a Land Rover with a high power radio installation, in case your undercarriage tries to do an impression of a gold leaf electroscope. Never tried it to see if it was true!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2017, 19:48:08 »

Fancy another armchair expedition? This time to hunt for big wormholes across London?

National Grid's London Power Tunnels have got a lot less publicity than Thames Water's supersewer (at least out West of London). But it is still quite impressive - while slim, it is pretty long.

I found this list of the twelve shaft sites, detailed enough that you can plug them into Google Earth and go straight there.

Seagrave Road, Earls Court
Millfields Park, Hackney
Eade Road, Haringey
Seven Sisters Road, Highbury
Lough Road, Islington
Canal Way, Kensal Green
Lodge Road, St. John’s Wood
Royal College Street, St. Pancras
Armoury Way, Wandsworth
Acton Lane, Willesden
Channel Gate Road, Willesden
Riverside Road, Wimbledon
(There's a separate tunnel from Hurst to Eltham.)

You may need to hunt for the site itself, and then you'll then need to wind back time to see the holes; they are now hidden by sheds ("headhouses"). Kensal Green has two shafts (as does Hackney). I think that has to do with the tunneling itself - three tunnels meet there, from Willesden, Hackney, and Wimbledon. And Willesden had two shafts 600 m apart, one of which is now capped.

There are quite a few other National Grid tunnels under London that you have not mentioned that I have knowledge of but cannot say where they run between, they are mainly at 275kV a number of them 400kV; UKPN also have a series of cable tunnels at 132, 66kV, there are also some at 33 and 22kV although these tend to be less than 2m in diameter.

The head houses are vital as they contain ventilation fans to keep the cables cool and monitoring equipment

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2017, 20:07:17 »

I was very surprised to see (Reply#130) the Radley ATS (Automatic Train Supervision) completed, so far north of Didcot, as I understood that the wires would only reach Appleford for the moment. Presumably the ATS is there to provide the wiring boundary as there won't be much AT demand for the time being, unless Radley becomes an "Oxford South Parkway"!

Curious,

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2017, 21:08:11 »

I think Radley was one area they were ahead of the game on, so it had been completed before the deferral was announced.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2017, 22:14:59 »

I think Radley was one area they were ahead of the game on, so it had been completed before the deferral was announced.

This is correct.  GWEP (Great Western Electrification Program) was unusual in that it got all its Distribution assets ordered and build to time and I believe almost to cost ..................... usually on electrification scheme Distribution is forgotten about until someone says "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr where's the 13amp socket to plug the train set into"  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2017, 08:23:15 »

Indeed so, there is some sort of sub-station at Midgham that was built at least a year ago. OHLE metalwork now very close both side of the station, but still not through it yet.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2017, 12:36:03 »

Indeed so, there is some sort of sub-station at Midgham that was built at least a year ago. OHLE metalwork now very close both side of the station, but still not through it yet.

That's one ATS (Automatic Train Supervision), and Theale has another one. Newbury will get a slightly more up-market one (labelled SATS), but the work seems to have been delayed to fit in with the rebuilding on the adjoining site (the old Sterling Cables factory).

Oddly, when lasted snapped (September), Radley had its transformer while Midgham and Theale had only bare pads. Work flows in mysterious ways.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2017, 15:22:19 »

This is correct.  GWEP (Great Western Electrification Program) was unusual in that it got all its Distribution assets ordered and build to time and I believe almost to cost.

So is the Oxford SATS being built also?

OTC
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2017, 17:14:54 »

I expect the chaps who install switchgear and transformers etc, in the little compounds separate from but near the railway, are chuffed to bits because their work doesn't actually involve using problematic over-hyped equipment such as MPV based modular wiring trains,  and their normal access is by roads or tracks available 24/7 rather than only during railway possessions...

Paul

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2017, 19:36:01 »

Oddly, when lasted snapped (September), Radley had its transformer while Midgham and Theale had only bare pads. Work flows in mysterious ways.

The contractor supplying and the one carrying out the distribution equipment install would have had a programme of works a number of years ago, the changes to the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") install may have overtaken the original distribution contract, possibly more cost effective to remain on the majority of the distribution install programme

So is the Oxford SATS being built also?

OTC

I believe it could not be built until Oxford Station rebuild had reached a certain stage, its part of the reason why the wires to Oxford were taken out of the current programme, it will go in as part of the CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) electrification to Oxford

gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2017, 21:38:04 »

It doesn't look like Steventon will be ready any time soon and doubtful the high street bridge will even be rebuilt now before December 2018. Loco-haulage anyone?

Apparently they are looking at a temporary solution with a speed limit to achieve the deadline.

NR» (Network Rail - home page) tweets also suggest they are lowering the track this weekend. So it looks like a combination of lowered track, minimum clearances and reduced speed to allow the gradient of the contact wire to be very steep. 

Any idea what the speed limit might be? I'm sure the villagers will be asking why that can't be a permanent solution as they are so opposed to the bridge being rebuilt. The contact wire will be steep too to obtain the clearance needed at the level crossings.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2017, 22:04:40 »

It doesn't look like Steventon will be ready any time soon and doubtful the high street bridge will even be rebuilt now before December 2018. Loco-haulage anyone?

Apparently they are looking at a temporary solution with a speed limit to achieve the deadline.

NR» (Network Rail - home page) tweets also suggest they are lowering the track this weekend. So it looks like a combination of lowered track, minimum clearances and reduced speed to allow the gradient of the contact wire to be very steep. 

Any idea what the speed limit might be? I'm sure the villagers will be asking why that can't be a permanent solution as they are so opposed to the bridge being rebuilt. The contact wire will be steep too to obtain the clearance needed at the level crossings.

Remembered where I found it:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5066.msg220937#msg220937

That's all I know
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: