Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:28:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283560 times)
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2017, 00:38:10 »

Apparently they are looking at a temporary solution with a speed limit to achieve the deadline.

NR» (Network Rail - home page) tweets also suggest they are lowering the track this weekend. So it looks like a combination of lowered track, minimum clearances and reduced speed to allow the gradient of the contact wire to be very steep. 

Just found a letter from Network Rail to local council confirming bridge rebuilding wont happen until CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) (i.e. after April 2019) and only then if planning consent etc. is given.  Until then a 'temporary solution' is a combination of track lowering, track slew and a speed limit of 60mph! A speed restriction like that could decimate the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) timetable as line speed is normally 125mph and it will seriously affect the level crossings if trains take longer to travel from the strike-in point.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2017, 17:02:20 »

It doesn't look like Steventon will be ready any time soon and doubtful the high street bridge will even be rebuilt now before December 2018. Loco-haulage anyone?

Apparently they are looking at a temporary solution with a speed limit to achieve the deadline.

Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) tweets also suggest they are lowering the track this weekend. So it looks like a combination of lowered track, minimum clearances and reduced speed to allow the gradient of the contact wire to be very steep. 

Any idea what the speed limit might be? I'm sure the villagers will be asking why that can't be a permanent solution as they are so opposed to the bridge being rebuilt. The contact wire will be steep too to obtain the clearance needed at the level crossings.
Given the opposition to rebuilding the bridge, and the fact that the Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) will fit under it, why don't they build a link-road to the bridge and close the level crossing (at least to vehicles)? Given Network Rail / ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) seem to be quite keen on  reducing the number of level crossings, it would be pretty silly to rebuild the bridge then a few years later the level crossing gets closed anyway.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:20:33 by VickiS » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2017, 17:34:19 »

Took a diversion today on my way back from the supermarket to have a nose at progress since my last nose. Nothing. My viewpoint was King Grove Farm Overbridge on the stretch from the former sites of Chipping Sodbury station and Wapley Sidings. This is usually referred to as Chipping Sodbury cutting as it runs through an area of tough limestone. It looks as if many piles have been drilled and cast which was the situation when I visited the same viewpoint after the August/September blockage of the line east of Westerleigh Junction.

A forest of uprights are visible around Westerleigh Junction itself and cantilevers and gantries have been affixed from the junction itself towards Parkway station as also has a number of cantilevers and gantries on the 'operational overlap' from the junction towards Yate. It looks as if the steelwork for the remaining uprights, cantilevers and gantries has been delivered to sites towards Rodford Bridge and dumped trackside due to the embankment slip between Rodford Bridge and the pedestrian underbridge leading from Westerleigh Common. Work is currently underway to shore up the embankment working from a compound set up by a batalion of the Orange Army from the Carrillion Regiment which I am told is likely to continue until next March. From the junction towards Parkway station I would suspect that the erection of lineside steelwork is almost complete. I noticed last time I travelled along the A432 at Coalpit Heath the uprights for the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") has been affixed to the outside of the viaduct retaining wall lining up with the viaduct pillars, I suspect the same method of fixing has been used for the longer Winterbourne Viaduct.

Back at Westerleigh Junction I notice that west of the junction there are two sets of sturdy uprights with 4 sets of lighter uprights evenly spaced between them so I assume these are additional supports for wiring of the trailing Up Main to Down Main trailing crossover at this point. On the down side only there is a 5th lighter upright which seems to have a platform on it about contact wire level which I presume will be the home to a transformer feed to the OHL (Over-Head Line).

Cant any 'dangley bits' affixed to any of the steelwork yet.

I'll keep the forum advised of progress
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2017, 19:31:23 »

It doesn't look like Steventon will be ready any time soon and doubtful the high street bridge will even be rebuilt now before December 2018. Loco-haulage anyone?

NR» (Network Rail - home page) tweets also suggest they are lowering the track this weekend. So it looks like a combination of lowered track, minimum clearances and reduced speed to allow the gradient of the contact wire to be very steep. 

Any idea what the speed limit might be? I'm sure the villagers will be asking why that can't be a permanent solution as they are so opposed to the bridge being rebuilt. The contact wire will be steep too to obtain the clearance needed at the level crossings.
Given the opposition to rebuilding the bridge, and the fact that the OHLE will fit under it, why don't they build a link-road to the bridge and close the level crossing (at least to vehicles)? Given Network Rail / ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) seem to be quite keen on  reducing the number of level crossings, it would be pretty silly to rebuild the bridge then a few years later the level crossing gets closed anyway.

There was a proposal to improve the unmade track to do the opposite of this as a temporary measure during the bridge works.  However if you look at the map you will see that as the solution you propose it would cut the village in two. Also remember that there are two level crossings in Steventon.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2017, 21:10:42 »

A speed restriction like that could decimate the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) timetable as line speed is normally 125mph and it will seriously affect the level crossings if trains take longer to travel from the strike-in point.

So how much time would that short slow section cost, for an 800 in electric mode?

Taking the speeds as 26 and 56 m/s, the extra time during the braking (0.6 m/s2) is 13 s, and then running slower takes 20 s per km. That's not really dependent on the train's performance. The acceleration is, so using the latest modelling guessesestimates I reckon it takes 56 s for that. So, for 2.5 km at low speed that's a total of 2 minutes lost.

Out of interest, for a station stop the figures are 47 s lost to a stand, plus the dwell time, plus 125 s to accelerate. That's nearly 3 minutes before adding the dwell time. For an HST (High Speed Train) I get 47 s and 195 s - four minutes plus dwell.

In both cases, some extra allowance is needed for not braking at the theoretical braking point (at least until ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) arrives).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 23:32:18 by stuving » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2017, 21:19:14 »

Back at Westerleigh Junction I notice that west of the junction there are two sets of sturdy uprights with 4 sets of lighter uprights evenly spaced between them so I assume these are additional supports for wiring of the trailing Up Main to Down Main trailing crossover at this point. On the down side only there is a 5th lighter upright which seems to have a platform on it about contact wire level which I presume will be the home to a transformer feed to the OHL (Over-Head Line).

There is supposed to be an MPATS (Mid Point Auto Transformer Site - electrification) built at Westerleigh Junction, though I'm not sure quite where. That would need several post pairs, rather taller than the usual stanchions, for its connections. Judging from others, probably four pairs and then two more a few OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") spans away.,
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:42 »

CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) no longer exists. The end of current CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) does.

Didn't the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) confirm that beyond this, they would confirm project by project, up to a total spend value within each Goverment, rather than having agreed projects and spend all agreed with a defined 5-year period?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2017, 10:35:20 »

AIUI (as I understand it), CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) exists as before for maintenance and renewals, but enhancements are dealt with on a case by case basis.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2017, 10:37:46 »

CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) no longer exists. The end of current CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) does.

Didn't the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) confirm that beyond this, they would confirm project by project, up to a total spend value within each Goverment, rather than having agreed projects and spend all agreed with a defined 5-year period?

CP6 does still exist, as a budgeting framework for maintenance and renewals. If you look under the SoFA it says:
In line with the HLOS (High Level Output Specification), the level of expenditure is focused on and provides for the operations, maintenance and renewal of the existing railway over CP6.2 The level of expenditure makes some provision for the funding of enhancements. However, the Secretary of State expects decisions regarding specific enhancements to be dealt with separately, building on the principles set out in the ‘Memorandum of Understanding between Department for Transport and Network Rail on rail enhancements,’3 and this statement makes no commitments to specific enhancements.

That doesn't even attempt to clarify what enhancements might be paid for out of NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s general funds. Small, obviously, and given the usual relationship of spending outturn to budget in Network Rail (NR) quite likely they'll fade away into nothingness. We've seen that electrification not yet scheduled for CP5 has been seen as needing DfT approval, but was put on the "not on my watch" list.

What that means for work that was approved and scheduled, but deferred to create budgetary flexibility, remains to be seen. From ET's comments, it seems Network Rail (NR) think they can get on with those soon - perhaps because budgets always look bigger when new.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:21:45 by VickiS » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2017, 16:50:58 »

Having re-read the statement released by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) with the SoFA, it does fill in some gaps. In particular, it says:
Government has already made clear that it expects new enhancements to the rail network to be developed outside of the regulatory system. However, the SoFA published today includes funding to continue to take forward the enhancements that were deferred from control period 5. In line with the new process for enhancements these schemes will continue to be subject to ongoing consideration to ensure they deliver the best results for both rail users and taxpayers. In addition to this, I am making funding available for the early-stage development of new enhancement schemes.

Christian Wolmar, in his reaction to the SoFA last month, quoted an estimate of the funding for deferred CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) enhancement of £ 5Bn, but he didn't say whose estimate that was. You could do quite a bit of electrifying with that, even on post-Hendy costings.

With regard to getting started on CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) work, however it gets funded, I find the wording ""I am making funding available" unhelpful. As it is "in addition", is isn't included in his SoFA. So where is it? If it is still being discussed, isn't it a case of "I will be making..."?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2017, 18:44:04 »

Its the sentence *after* your bolding that I feel is the major one, in that it states quite clearly that if they (cintinue to) think that bi-modes are the way forward & find them working well, wiring may not be 'the best result' for both users & taxpayers. Therefore continuimg to kick it into even longer grass. I don't think SoFA gives us any guarantees of work in CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2017, 17:34:37 »

There is supposed to be an MPATS (Mid Point Auto Transformer Site - electrification) built at Westerleigh Junction, though I'm not sure quite where. That would need several post pairs, rather taller than the usual stanchions, for its connections. Judging from others, probably four pairs and then two more a few OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") spans away.,

Probably in the ' V ' between the Up Main and Down Charfield lines, the other side of the two overbridges to the junction itself and the signalling relay room. There is at present a communications mast there, visit Google Earth and check it out.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2017, 18:56:44 »

With regard to the Steventon Bridge saga, have there been any developments along the lines of:

http://freyssinet.co.uk/elevarch-masonry-bridge-arch-lift-trial-moco-farm-buckinghamshire/

?

OTC
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2017, 21:17:07 »

Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) tweets also suggest they are lowering the track this weekend. So it looks like a combination of lowered track, minimum clearances and reduced speed to allow the gradient of the contact wire to be very steep. 

Given the opposition to rebuilding the bridge, and the fact that the Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) will fit under it, why don't they build a link-road to the bridge and close the level crossing (at least to vehicles)? Given Network Rail / ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) seem to be quite keen on  reducing the number of level crossings, it would be pretty silly to rebuild the bridge then a few years later the level crossing gets closed anyway.

There was a proposal to improve the unmade track to do the opposite of this as a temporary measure during the bridge works.  However if you look at the map you will see that as the solution you propose it would cut the village in two. Also remember that there are two level crossings in Steventon.
If the 'unmade track' you refer to is the one I'm looking at on Google Earth, I don't see the problem. Why couldn't turning that into a full road be a means of allowing the crossing nearest the bridge to close? I suppose there is still a problem with the linespeed unless the second level crossing is far enough away from the bridge to allow an acceptable Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) gradient between them (that was my hope when I made the suggestion, I wasn't suggesting closing both level crossings, at least not immediately, if the bridge and linespeed can both be kept in full by closing just the crossing closest to the bridge).

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:23:12 by VickiS » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2017, 21:54:14 »

Given the opposition to rebuilding the bridge, and the fact that the OHLE will fit under it, why don't they build a link-road to the bridge and close the level crossing (at least to vehicles)? Given Network Rail / ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) seem to be quite keen on  reducing the number of level crossings, it would be pretty silly to rebuild the bridge then a few years later the level crossing gets closed anyway.

If the 'unmade track' you refer to is the one I'm looking at on Google Earth, I don't see the problem. Why couldn't turning that into a full road be a means of allowing the crossing nearest the bridge to close? I suppose there is still a problem with the linespeed unless the second level crossing is far enough away from the bridge to allow an acceptable OHLE gradient between them (that was my hope when I made the suggestion, I wasn't suggesting closing both level crossings, at least not immediately, if the bridge and linespeed can both be kept in full by closing just the crossing closest to the bridge).

It's a mile round by road.  A footbridge would be very high and would also be a barrier to many (long ramps or lots of steps).  I think you would have to see the site on the ground to understand that. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: