I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:00:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283455 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2018, 16:59:58 »

My first reaction to this was "what do you expect with Swiss OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE")? How may soggy underwater tunnels do they have?" But that's unfair - Furrer+Frey have many years' experience of fitting their kit all over Europe. In fact they are rather proud of its corrosion resistance, calling it "fit and forget" (though that phrase is usually unjustified hubris).

One place where corrosion is a specific problem with conductor rail (all systems, I suspect) is electrochemically between the conductor wire (copper alloy) and the beam (aluminium alloy). They squirt magic grease over this area to keep the air out, which doesn't sound to me like the height of high-tech. I can imagine that in this hyper-humid tunnel that could need to be inspected or re-done quite often.

But I hope the Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) quote of:
"We are taking this opportunity to build on the modernisation work delivered in the tunnel during autumn 2016, including maintaining the new equipment and drainage system and removing redundant cables and telecoms equipment."

Network Rail said the maintenance of the new equipment mainly involves cleaning the conductor beam system.

It said it carries out maintenance work in the tunnel every year and that this will now form part of the annual process.
  doesn't really mean it will be closed for three weeks every year.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:41:32 by VickiS » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2018, 20:18:05 »

Here's the article for those that are interested -

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/severn-tunnel-shut-three-weeks-14785503

Does anyone know if it's true?

Absolute tosh I'm afraid. Ever seen *aluminium* rust?

Its called cathodic reaction, aluminium and copper are not a good mix also aluminium and stainless steel will react.

The conductor beam is aluminium with the copper alloy contact wire inserted into (to all tense and purposes) a grove, stainless steel nuts n bolts are used to join beam section together and attach it to the registration arms.

An anti oxidising grease should be applied as the wire is placed into the "grove" however this is not a popular thing to do by the guys installing it, its very messy and slippery making the contact wire hard to handle,  not saying this the issue.

I suspect some corrosion has been noticed during maintainance, although the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") is not energised or in use there is still a requirement for it to be inspected and maintained

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2018, 22:16:17 »

Word has it that, since the week-end, the wires are now live to Wootton Basset.

OTC
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 18, 2018, 23:19:49 »

Absolute tosh I'm afraid. Ever seen *aluminium* rust?

It does't go brown in the way iron does, but it does oxidise in certain conditions. Unfortunately the corrosion products are white - very similar in colour to the metal so it is not as easy to spot at a quick glance. In normal conditions the oxide forms a protective coating on the surface, but in agressive conditions this is washed away exposing more metal. 

As ET points out the presence of other metals can make things worse.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:41 »

Japanese motorcycles of the 1980s were notorious for forming white corrosion where steel bolts were used in aluminium engine casings. It's quite a common phenomenon.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2018, 13:43:31 »

The problem is common, then. I'm sure some form of high-tech solution could be found using nuclear isotopes and a million pound machine with flashing lights, and a "ping" noise. But if smearing everything with loads from rendered down badgers does the trick, why not?

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2018, 13:54:40 »

YMustelidMV!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2018, 21:16:21 »

I believe the Footbridge at Reading West was taken down over the weekend
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2018, 06:27:39 »

I believe the Footbridge at Reading West was taken down over the weekend

It was indeed gone yesterday morning.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2018, 10:54:43 »

Reading West - July 2014

Reading West - July 2018

New footbridge under construction

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 03, 2018, 15:12:29 »

New footbridge under construction

I thought RBC(resolve) and Network Rail hadn't agreed on a design/location yet?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 03, 2018, 15:27:54 »

I suspect this is a "temporary" structure which doesn't require permission.  However I understand there is a disgruntled householder who isn't happy that the base at one side is almost in his garden.
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #267 on: July 03, 2018, 16:12:51 »

for those of you that doubted that Network Rail would install something in a tunnel that could rust..... the minister has confirmed it-
I saw this on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) and thought you should see it:

Severn Tunnel electrification kit deteriorating, minister admits - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-44690614

Smiley
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 03, 2018, 17:06:07 »

I suspect this is a "temporary" structure which doesn't require permission.  However I understand there is a disgruntled householder who isn't happy that the base at one side is almost in his garden.
It could also just be a temporary structure to carry services (that were previously carried on the old footbridge), rather than an actual temporary footbridge.

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 03, 2018, 17:40:15 »

It is an extremely harsh environment 

Made worse I expect by running diesel trains in the tunnel which chuck out acidic gases
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: