Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:19:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283384 times)
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 12, 2018, 09:04:26 »

Apparently electricification to Cardiff isn't going to be completed until June/July 2019, the last estimated date was, I believe, Dec 2018.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 12, 2018, 11:05:00 »

Cross posted from the May/December 2018 timetable topic...

There is no doubt this has bought Network Rail extra time to get the infrastructure works completed but no one will talk about how late they are running with these just that its better to delay the introduction of the new timetable.
Think this confirms my thoughts above:

Modern Railways Roger Ford on Twitter:

Electrification to Cardiff has been delayed to June/July 2019.

So don’t be surprised if the May 19 timetable change comes and goes with no major timetable change on the GW (Great Western) network.

A quote on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum yesterday (11/07/2018) from a GWR (Great Western Railway) employee:
Mark Hopwood informed us this afternoon that electrification through to Cardiff has been put back, possibly to June/July 2019. The IET (Intercity Express Train) and 802 delivery plan will stay on schedule with considerably more diesel mileage than planned.

...so expect many announcements ".....train service has been cancelled due to shortage of fuel." Tongue
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 21, 2018, 19:33:07 »

Is it likely that electrifying Swindon to Bristol, Didcot to Oxford and Parkway to Meads will happen in CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 25, 2018, 21:26:43 »

Does anybody local know how the electrification work between Southcote Junction and Newbury is progressing in the current blockade?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:33:02 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 26, 2018, 08:43:58 »

There's a very detailed thread running on this on the RailUK Forum:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/great-western-electrification-progress.83452/page-248#post-3560132

From my local observations, wires have been going up over the last week between the two Newbury stations, and between Southcote Junction and Theale. The thread linked above suggests they are also going up between Reading West and Southcote.

Barring a few short gaps (eg, to the east of the new Racecourse Bridge in Newbury), the wires were already pretty much up between Newbury Racecourse and Theale.

There has also been work going on in Newbury Station itself, with alterations to the platform canopies, for example. The old footbridge came down during one of the previous blocks.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #290 on: July 26, 2018, 08:52:42 »

From my local observations, wires have been going up over the last week between the two Newbury stations, and between Southcote Junction and Theale. The thread linked above suggests they are also going up between Reading West and Southcote.

Barring a few short gaps (eg, to the east of the new Racecourse Bridge in Newbury), the wires were already pretty much up between Newbury Racecourse and Theale.

There has also been work going on in Newbury Station itself, with alterations to the platform canopies, for example. The old footbridge came down during one of the previous blocks.

Many thanks for that update - sounds like it's making good progress.  Is there a measure of "where they are" versus "where they should be" - i.e. ahead or behind program?   At the start of this month they were said to be very well ahead - indeed they were unsure if the final 4 day closure in November would be needed, but I have no current intelligence on that - whether they've continued to surge ahead of plan, kept plodding along evenly, or had to use up some of the gain if any element shave taken unexpectedly long.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 26, 2018, 12:32:35 »

Thanks for that update TC(resolve).  I'll have a look at the website you have mentioned.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2018, 11:16:45 »

Can anybody help? I was asked about how for trains now run from Paddington to Temple Meads on wires before switching. Got to admit I was not sure. Anybody know the latest?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2018, 11:23:21 »

Can anybody help? I was asked about how for trains now run from Paddington to Temple Meads on wires before switching. Got to admit I was not sure. Anybody know the latest?

Currently around the Didcot area?   Have been switched on and tested to just beyond Swindon.  From there on to Thingley there's still a lot of work to do in places, and I think it will be electric to Bristol Parkway before to Chippenham.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2018, 12:47:22 »

Yes, I should have said Parkway, not Temple Meads. Didcot was certainly not running electric trains mid April but that was some time ago, even allowing for the slow progress that the electrification is making.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2018, 13:56:53 »

Yes, I should have said Parkway, not Temple Meads. Didcot was certainly not running electric trains mid April but that was some time ago, even allowing for the slow progress that the electrification is making.

Electric trains have been running from Didcot since the beginning of the year. I had my first run on a GW (Great Western) class 387 on 1P20 Didcot to Padd on 5th January. IETs (Intercity Express Train) were also running on AC from Didcot from the beginning of January - up trains stopping at Didcot usually switch from diesel to AC in platform 2, non-stoppers switch over on the move east of Moreton Cutting. All down IETs switch from AC to diesel east of Moreton Cutting.

As previously mentioned the wiring from Milton Junction to Wootton Bassett was energised earlier this month. I've seen entry into service in September suggested in numerous places but no actual date mentioned. Presumably then the diesel/AC changeover point will move to Swindon as most services stop there.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2018, 14:24:40 »

Thanks for the information. My IET (Intercity Express Train) from Didcot to Bristol definitely had the pantographs down as it came into Didcot and that is what my assumption was based on. This was mid April so I guess there was some other reason for it's diesel running.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2018, 14:31:59 »

Possibly related to my question about diesel-only here? (Which bobm kindly answered...)

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18792.msg243135#msg243135
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2018, 15:00:49 »

Swindon will be some what of a milestone in this project, as the first trip that was planned as such can run - the Cheltenham Spa services are now ready for timetabled IET (Intercity Express Train) services, under 1 year early.
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2018, 20:40:10 »

Thanks for the information. My IET (Intercity Express Train) from Didcot to Bristol definitely had the pantographs down as it came into Didcot and that is what my assumption was based on. This was mid April so I guess there was some other reason for it's diesel running.

IETs never arrive at Didcot with the pantograph raised, they are lowered at Moreton Cutting around 2 miles to the east of the station to prevent any electrical overrunning.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: